Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Sometime back over the Summer I was checking out at our local grocery store. The check out girl looked up at me and said, "I like your Indiana Jones hat"! I was wearing a Silverbelly Open Road....that's okay. I didn't mind. But some credit has to go to the Indiana Jones movies though. He kind of revived the wearing of fedoras again.

aihpcfl

New in Town
Hehe. Old thread, I know, but it's been bumped and I have to add my bit.

I was wearing a waxed cotton Tilley that is nothing like a Fedora. Still someone said "nice Indiana Jones hat" to me. Go figure. I guess if you wear a hat, any hat, it's only a matter of time. I will just say, "No, but thank you."

RBH

Bartender
If the latest Bonnie and Clyde film had been better... we might have all had the...
Wow... I really like your BONNIE AND CLYDE hat!

It all has to do with what the people have as a point of reference.
For this time frame.. Indiana Jones is the only fedora wearer that most know of.
So all hat wearers are Indiana Jones...no matter the hat.

Bottom line ..like it or not ....
Mr Jones has brought more hat wearers back than Bogart has.

Last edited:

bendingoak

Vendor
You think it's bad when someone calls you Indiana jones for wearing a fedora . How about when hat wearers calls a hat maker, a Indy hat maker. Like that's the only hat I can make?????????? I feel you pain but you should really just let it roll off your sleeve. Like stated, Indy has put more people in fedoras then bogart in recent times. That's a good thing.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
You think it's bad when someone calls you Indiana jones for wearing a fedora . How about when hat wearers calls a hat maker, a Indy hat maker. Like that's the only hat I can make?????????? I feel you pain but you should really just let it roll off your sleeve. Like stated, Indy has put more people in fedoras then bogart in recent times. That's a good thing.

The obsession and fascination started with the game LA Noire and fuel was added in a short period of time later with Mad Men. It then went out of control with Indiana Jones! (at least for me).

Though as of right now, it seems like it's Don Draper from Mad Men that's getting men interested in hats again.

On a side note, your creations are beautiful Mr Penman.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the latest Bonnie and Clyde film had been better... we might have all had the...
Wow... I really like your BONNIE AND CLYDE hat!

Agreed.
Just a quick aside, I did notice on this film there were at least some obviously hand creased hats unlike on "Mob City". Didn't Frank Hamer's hat look like a Campdraft?

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I can sympathize, today in the post office the young clerk said, "Johnny, I like that big Stetson cowboy hat you wear." I thanked her and left smiling. I was wearing my Silverbelly Deluxe Campdraft......;)

Rogera

I can sympathize, today in the post office the young clerk said, "Johnny, I like that big Stetson cowboy hat you wear." I thanked her and left smiling. I was wearing my Silverbelly Deluxe Campdraft......;)

Hey one of my coworkers called me John Wayne the other day in my BG Campdraft! lol

Rogera

I was thinking it was possibly a Stetson Open Road but, if it was, the wardrobe department gave it a slightly wider ribbon.

Exactly, if you will look at the ribbon it almost looks like it was a thick strip of material slid down over the crown. It didn't looked tacked and the bow (when you could actually get a look at it) looked thrown together. Just a thought.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
In one scene from that TV movie, when Buck Barrow was shot, the camera flashed to the back seat of the car where Buck's hat was laying. It definitely looked like an Open Road. Bonnie and Clyde's heyday was from around 1932-1934. Wouldn't that time frame have been just a few years early for the Open Road? I thought the Open Road came out in the later 1930s.

Thin Ribbon Open Road came out in late 1940's.
Stetson had many styles that were thin ribbon with bound edge but not tagged as The Open Road judging by the catalogs of the day.
The Strat came out before the OR Thin Ribbon version.
A wide ribbon version of the Open Road was out in the early 30's but looked nothing like the OR we all know & love...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A wide ribbon version of the Open Road was out in the early 30's but looked nothing like the OR we all know & love...
Interesting. I've never seen one of those. Are there many pictures of the Wide Ribbon Open Road available? Better yet, does anybody have one to show?

Interesting. I've never seen one of those. Are there many pictures of the Wide Ribbon Open Road available? Better yet, does anybody have one to show?
I think just a newspaper/magazine ad is all that has been posted.
There was an old OR that looked to have been modified with a wider ribbon but no proof it was an original from back then.
Lengthy discussion in one of the OR threads a while back. May have archived by now...

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
This a hat from the autobiographical movie Pearl which takes place on 1929. If it is historically correct could it be a precursor to the open road. I have a open road that looks very similar to this except for the ribbon.
pearl_zps2476bca7.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It has been my experience that when I have any brimmed hat on my head, I never know what people are going to say, although patterns are developing, and none of them accurate to what I am wearing.

For example, most often when I wear an 'Indiana Jones' style hat, I get cowboy comments, or, BION, Crocodile Dundee comments.

When I wear smaller, 2" brimmed hats, such as my Dobbs, I most often get Indiana Jones comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot