Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually get the cowboy comment too when I wear my Penman. one of my coworkers saw my grand father in law come in wearing a leather Australian outback style hat and called it an Indiana Jones hat. I think most people just really don't realize what an Indiana Jones hat really looks like.

VTporkpie

Familiar Face
Crazy thing is, I got the same comment from two guys in downtown Portland last weekend with my Penman. They were friendly enough though and sounded like Cheech & Chong, so I let it slide. Don't know what it is with this city!

I think the real problem is that most people these days simply don't know enough about hats to distinguish between a top hat, a fedora, a homburg, a porkpie, a bowler, a western, etc., so they use what they think is an accurate reference in their attempt to be complimentary. If one of us were to conduct an informal poll, say, on a busy sidewalk or in a shopping mall, and asked people what kind of hat Indiana Jones wears, I think a lot of them would say it was a "cowboy" hat. [huh]

VTporkpie

Familiar Face
Yeah, I totally agree. Which is why I usually just smile and say "Thank You." That being said, some folks actually do inquire as to what kind of hat it is, which I find pretty neat.

Rogera

I know what you mean. Never understood the" keep Portland weird" signs, bumper stickers. There is no danger of that city being anything other then weird.

I thought it was a cool town. There was one shop, I can't remember the name right now, but he had a ton of vintage hats and tons of clothing.

VTporkpie

Familiar Face
I thought it was a cool town. There was one shop, I can't remember the name right now, but he had a ton of vintage hats and tons of clothing.

It actually is a pretty cool town, more hat wearers here than other places I've lived...definitely a different type of place though.

Rogera

Our state capitol Austin has that same mantra. Everyone has a bumper sticker that says "Keep Austin weird".

joeyorav

New in Town
I've been saying for years that Indiana Jones fans have to let go of this mistaken belief that only Harrison Ford can play Indiana Jones. If we still believed that only Sean Connery could play James Bond we wouldn't be enjoying Daniel Craig as Bond today.

The franchise could be revitalized with a new trilogy of movies set during World War II so we can see some of those wartime adventures hinted at in KOTCS. But who should play Indiana Jones? Simple. Get the guy who's already played him.

Sean Patrick Flanery did a pretty good job as Young Indiana Jones so I say give him the hat and the whip. He's 47 now so he's young enough to last through a new trilogy.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've been saying for years that Indiana Jones fans have to let go of this mistaken belief that only Harrison Ford can play Indiana Jones. If we still believed that only Sean Connery could play James Bond we wouldn't be enjoying Daniel Craig as Bond today.

The franchise could be revitalized with a new trilogy of movies set during World War II so we can see some of those wartime adventures hinted at in KOTCS. But who should play Indiana Jones? Simple. Get the guy who's already played him.

Sean Patrick Flanery did a pretty good job as Young Indiana Jones so I say give him the hat and the whip. He's 47 now so he's young enough to last through a new trilogy.
I'm in total agreement, Joey.

hatguy1

One Too Many

I can deal more easily with someone other than Harrison Ford as Indy than I can the lame plot they had for the "Kingdom of the Crystal Numbskull" last movie. And don't let that dolt that played Indy's kid play the grown up Indy or revive that character would be my advice.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars

our-kind-of-hero-fillion-as-indiana-jones-300x382.jpg

I nominate Nathan Fillion as the new Indiana Jones... if anyone is familiar with Castle, Firefly/Serenity, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog, Halo 3: ODST when he lent his voice for the role of Gunnery Sergent Buck, and Joss Whedon's take on Much Ado About Nothing(and he has also down other works, but these are the ones I know him best by), then you would know that Nathan Fillion can bring something to the table for Indiana Jones. Heck, a lot of gamers are wanting him to take the role of Nathan Drake in the live action adapation of the Playstation hit videogame Uncharted. Nathan Drake is (like Lara Croft) essentially Indiana Jones in modern day.

Then again, this is just wishful thinking. To me, this man would make a pretty good Henry Jones Jr.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I can deal more easily with someone other than Harrison Ford as Indy than I can the lame plot they had for the "Kingdom of the Crystal Numbskull" last movie. And don't let that dolt that played Indy's kid play the grown up Indy or revive that character would be my advice.
I agree on all points here, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner