Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

amador

A-List Customer
Fort Worth, mens with big hats, women with big hair, cows with big horns. On another subject... I had the IJ theme song in my head for several days after donning my Adventurer. I could not shake it. I forced the William Tell Overture, The Lone Ranger, into my head by humming it every time I became aware of the IJ theme, after a day I finally normalized. Then I donned my Panama and couldn't get Kocomo out of my head.
Anybody have songs or themes in your head that accompany the hat on your head? Wait...my Trench Coat evokes As Time Goes By, Help!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, we hear your OPINION, just make sure you just look at your feet next time your in Ft. Worth so you won't have to see them :)

Ahh, it ain't THAT bad. I've only been through Dallas a few times on the way to Bossier City LA. I've never crossed the Line to Fort Worth, but I think they're probably more my type. Dallas has more of a reputation for the "pinky in the air set", while Fort Worth has the stockyards. The diner in my parents backyard (more or less) in Illinois had two millionaire's and two of their workers at one table and unless you knew them you couldn't tell the difference. Same hog lot boots, same pig crap on them, same seed corn hat, same jeans etc.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Fort Worth, mens with big hats, women with big hair, cows with big horns. On another subject... I had the IJ theme song in my head for several days after donning my Adventurer. I could not shake it. I forced the William Tell Overture, The Lone Ranger, into my head by humming it every time I became aware of the IJ theme, after a day I finally normalized. Then I donned my Panama and couldn't get Kocomo out of my head.
Anybody have songs or themes in your head that accompany the hat on your head? Wait...my Trench Coat evokes As Time Goes By, Help!

Yes, but it goes away with time, and it happens faster if you wear the hat all the time because it becomes normal to have the hat on your head and you tend to forget about it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Sounds like you need to get out more. It's just a hat. Not a video of a movie on your head :) It's JUST A HAT :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

While I have hat songs stay in my head for a long time, none (to date) have been connected with a hat. I've been wearing a Beaver Brand Stony River, I'm scared to find out what songs are connected with Stones, Rivers, and Beavers. I had four room mates my Junior year in college and they all liked one album, so I heard both sides at least 4 times a day when I was home.

Later

Picker

One of the Regulars
I guess my everyday attire could be a semi-Indy style. I have worn leather jackets for most of my 58 years. As a retired principal and now a part-time teacher, khaki pants are the uniform of the lifetime. When I started seriously wearing fedoras in 2004, I simply added it to my attire. I have never owned the Indy bag, whip, shirt, or Indy-specific pants and never will. I love the Alden Indy boots and own two pairs as well a pair of Alden shoes. On a work day my style from head to toe is a brown fedora, a black or brown leather jacket, a cotton print L L Bean shirt, Bean Khakis in khaki, green, or navy, and the Aldens. When I carry a bag for papers to grade or musical gear for a gig, it is a Filson brand oil cloth field bag. I don't wear jeans, so on the weeknds I swap the Bean pants for Carhardt work khakis. I've only heard two "Indy" remarks in all this time, and both of them were positive. It's casual, functional, durable, and affordable.

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I owned at least three well worn vintage brown fedoras when Raiders hit the Big Screen

I'd been wearing ORs shaped as fedoras for at least 5 years by 1981

I graduated from college in 1977 and had started buying up heavy felt, wide brim fedoras while I was still in college ... of course I wish I'd have bought and cared for more when they were readily available.

As far as leather jackets ... I began wearing them in high school and we all liked the ones that looked like they'd been through the mill.

Dr. Jones just made it tougher to get good deals on both hats and jackets

Sam

amador

A-List Customer
OK I'll get out more, with my hat. I had a leather jacket in High School, sort of like my Dad's. He wore a fedora of unknown pedigree when he dressed up. He worked for Magnolia Oil Company in South Texas as a "Utility Man" in the Oil fields and later at a gas and oil refining plant. He would wear his leather jacket when the weather got cold. I recall that the liner was gone, it was thick and heavy and it had small spots of various colored paints along with well worn elbows and cuffs. The zipper was gone and he had my Mom sew in some buttons and cut out slots to secure them. I never did see him sear the Fedora and the Jacket together. When I watched Raiders for the first time I saw my father in his leather work jacket and dress Fedora. Of course Indy did not dig post holes or paint gas pipelines for a living for 30 years. My Dad did not carry a whip or a handgun. Thanks for the memories Dad and Indy.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I was wearing a taupe fawn Camp Draft and a workmate said "You look like...", he paused to think. I was thinking...Indiana Jones? Dick Tracy?...No...It finally clicked with him..."Columbo!" Huh? Never saw Peter Falk wear a hat in the show.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I sometimes get "Indy"comments....
I have no idea why.

R0016772.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I was wearing a taupe fawn Camp Draft and a workmate said "You look like...", he paused to think. I was thinking...Indiana Jones? Dick Tracy?...No...It finally clicked with him..."Columbo!" Huh? Never saw Peter Falk wear a hat in the show.

Columbo?!

For cryin out loud!

Oh, wait a minute. I've got it.

Columbo was originally part of the NBC package of mystery shows ... Columbo, McMillan and Wife and McCloud.

Dennis Weaver wore a rather neat looking western hat in that series and Stetson even brought a version out in the 70s, naming the hat McCloud!

Your workmate was just confused about the show, ... and the hat..... and ...........

OK, he doesn't have a clue!

Nice avatar, though

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well it has finally happened to me. Took my 86 yo mother out to J.C. Penney's to get something she saw in the paper ad and as usual was wearing one of my Akubras. I had on a Mid-Grey Squatter, my old G-1 Navy flight jacket w/mouton collar, levis, and a pair of sq. toed Luchesse boots. Just the same kind of outfit Indy wore in the movies, at least the ones this 20 something bubba and his GF saw ! I'm pushing my mother in a wheelchair and hear "Hey Indy! Where's your whip?" I turn and quietly tell him " I left it back in the cave. Leave your GF with me and you can go get it". He and his GF stomped off with some muttered explicatives and my mother asked "who's that, a friend of yours?" . "No mom just a stupid jerk" I answered and we continued shopping. Just made me realize the general population are really just idiots and I remembered why I don't go to malls :) It's been 30 + years since Indy came out and I guess we hat wearers are all subject to a fools comments at some time :)

amador

A-List Customer
I think that some would say about Indiana Jones: a hat like Bogart, a whip like Zorro, mild mannered bumbling bespecled alter ego that upon donning of a hat is transformed, like Clark Kent, into Superman, ect. The character is a brilliant amalgam of several modern Achetypes.

So I have on occasion been likened to this Achetype. The sudden and sometimes public acknowlegment stirs up emotions and feelings that I may not be familiar with or perhaps comfortable. If unfamiliar, I might missinterpret my real feelings. If uncomfortable I may seek to avoid similar encounters. I like to take each instance and use the occasion to deepen my understanding of our cultue, its powerful symbols and the effect they have on us. If someone recognizes an Achetype and declares it upon me I should consider wheather I can be comfortable with this Persona that is after all protecting my Ego. Understanding brings depth to an otherwise ordinary encounter. An ordinary utilitarian Hat can become magical.

Last edited:

masiaka

Familiar Face
I was just at a Native American heritage festival (a Muskogee and Lakota "east meets west" event) wearing my tattered, brown, wool fedora (that I can't wait to upgrade:D) and was likened to the great Dr. Jones. I couldn't really argue, seeing as I was standing at a booth that said "anthropology." :p Made me feel kind of proud, especially because I was being used as a role model for a woman's son. "Keep up your grades and you can be another Indiana Jones and study Indian battle sites, too. [points to me]" It didn't really matter that I look nothing like Harrison Ford, I'll take a compliment where I can get one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL