Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Duper

Practically Family
Indeed, the media semiotics of the Jones pragma suggest the mythopoetic symbolism of the theatrical folklore of the socio-ritual code-switching aesthetic riverine warlocks of Mesopotamia. Jones combines the protagonist, antagonist and contagonist ethos with the shapeshifter's oral tradition.[/QUOTE

Indeed.

And that other stuff you said too.

[huh]

masiaka

Familiar Face
I think he's saying that Indiana Jones combines a lot of things that are considered masculine and cool into one package, and when we get angry at people calling us "Indy" it's because we don't feel that we live up to that image. Instead of getting mad at others' lack of observation skills we should ask ourselves why it miffs us so much to be identified with someone so adventurous, cool, and charming to the ladies. We should also decide whether we want to continue to dress and act the way we do if people will continue calling us Indy because of it, since outward appearance is how we are judged by everyone around us.

Or at least that's what I got out of the post.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Indeed, the media semiotics of the Jones pragma suggest the mythopoetic symbolism of the theatrical folklore of the socio-ritual code-switching aesthetic riverine warlocks of Mesopotamia. Jones combines the protagonist, antagonist and contagonist ethos with the shapeshifter's oral tradition.

I'm glad you cleared that up! It was getting confusing there for awhile :)

Last edited:

fathergoose

New in Town
Lids in the Empire

Here in the Empire of Japan, I wear newsboys, Big Apple and spitfires and the occasional fedora, and the comment I've heard most is, "Dei-Capi (Decaprio)!" A reference to his role in "Titanic", no doubt. But that has more to do with the fact I'm a foreigner. People of all ages wear hats here: Fedoras, stingy brims, newsboys, boaters and the occasional bowler. Another foreigner catches you wearing anything but a baseball cap or a tea cozy you won't get anything half as clever as, "Hey Indy!" But they're in the minority. Japanese love their vintage gear and their fedoras!

mikieson

New in Town
It happened yesterday. After six or seven years of peace and tranquility. And it happened, of all places, at the polls. I was collecting my ballot when the kid manning the polling place said, "Nice Indiana Jones hat."

I could've educated the youngster then and there. I could've told him that mine was a Cervo fedora, a treasured object made by Italian craftsmen acquired at some difficulty from the sunny penninsula. I could've delivered a brief history of Italilan hatmaking. But that would have been unseemly in a busy polling place.

Until this latest Indiana Jones craze wears off, I might have to put my Cervo away in the closet. I might have to buy a boater.
Im very very late on this thread..BUT..for most people 50 years old and younger..INDY is the HAT MAN..so what? Thats a compliment to me. A great role model and a great dresser..So compare me to him..thats great..AND guess what?? EVERYONE "wife including" calls my hat the Indy hat..AND when I get my TODDS items in they will say.."indy pants, indy shirt, and indy satchel"..Its better then not knowing anything about the "LOOK" i think..take it as a compliment and say thanks..

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Indeed, the media semiotics of the Jones pragma suggest the mythopoetic symbolism of the theatrical folklore of the socio-ritual code-switching aesthetic riverine warlocks of Mesopotamia. Jones combines the protagonist, antagonist and contagonist ethos with the shapeshifter's oral tradition.

Where the heck can a fellow find those little laughing icons??

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
It could be worse. I have a younger brother that thinks he is IJ. All of his fedoras are brown, of course, and whenever he sees me in a black one, he asks me if I'm Jake, or Elwood..................

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking... :eeek:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I'm probably asking for every "Indy" comment in the world, but I really don't care. I needed a hat to wear with my leather coats, and I'm refashioning a brown western into something that most people will end up calling an "Indy" hat.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Wearing my dark brown Royal Stetson, which looks more like Gary Cooper's lid in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" than like Prof. Jones's hat, I got a similar comment from a saleslady at Macy's last week. She was probably old enough to know that men used to wear fedoras long before IJ, but whatareyagonnado? She meant it as a compliment, and I took it as such.

jbucklin

Practically Family
That's what I always try to remember. Most people that make Indy comments mean it as a compliment. Interestingly, it was Gary Cooper's hat in FWTBT that started my hat obsession.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Jbucklin, I occasionally nickname my hats after famous movie lids I imagine they resemble. The dark brown RS is the "Robert Jordan" hat, my black Manhattan is my "Roy Earle," and my maple-colored Resistol Pacesetter is my "Fred C. Dobbs before he fell on hard times" hat!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Let me guess:

The number of times someone has said, "Look, it's Robert Jordan" when you wear that hat?

Maybe, ZERO?

I purchased a Fed IV from a fellow Lounger recently and I really like the hat.
I had always presumed that I would get those comments with it because I creased it in the more open pinch used in the "Crystal Skull" version ... which I think the Fed IV most resembles anyway.

While I have received these comments with all sorts of other brown fedoras, and even with a wide brimmed Milan staw -- undoubtedly because of the incredible physical resemblence between me and Harrison Ford (ahem, ahem!) -- so far there's been nothing about the new lid.

My first Indy hat was one I designed out of a great old Resistol beaver western hat and, if I say so myself, it was a good match for the Raiders version. However, about the only place that was ever remarked on was when I wore it to the Kansas City Renaissance Fest, and the attention was brought by one of the professional costumers who was there selling fancy pirate hats.

While we hatters are struck by the ins and outs of the Dr. Jones headwear, I think the rest of the world is just looking for something "smart" to say because they don't know what to make of someone who isn't wearing a filthy baseball cap.

BTW ... I really like the "For Whom the Bell Tolls" fedora. I have since I was a kid. Same way with that bomber jacket.
Believe it or not, some of us DID like hats before Ford made that movie. I owned several brown fedoras and a chocolate homburg at the time the movie came out.
I also had a tan OR clone that I habitually wore with a waist-length leather jacket at the time. And I certainly wasn't alone!

Sam

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Let me guess:

The number of times someone has said, "Look, it's Robert Jordan" when you wear that hat?

Maybe, ZERO?
. . . Sam
Nah, I'm lucky they don't say "Who's the bearded clown in the hat." (Of course, maybe they do, and I just don't know it. Ignorance, bliss, etc.)

Edward

Bartender
That's what I always try to remember. Most people that make Indy comments mean it as a compliment. Interestingly, it was Gary Cooper's hat in FWTBT that started my hat obsession.

Zactly. The only one that ever grated on me was the "cowboy" comment, but really, providing it's not mean spirited I'm not much bothered by anything. I was more concerned about being called an "illegitimate Nazi intimate female body part" or an "unclean, fornicating Jew" (or words to that general effect - both instances, ironically, prompted by reaction to the same hat and coat...) than anything else. Threatening tone, not the words.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I am a TCM junkie and fully aware that untill about 1960 hats were as much a part of a man's daily attire as socks, or shirts. Sadly, Indiana Jones, as people's only frame of reference for fedoras, is a true indicator that most people into today's pop culture have no sense of history when it comes to, not only film, but music, literature, visual arts, philosophy, theology---you name it. If it's more than 3-5 years old it just does not exist and is completely irrelevant----period.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

Can someone please translate into English? I'm an engineer, I studied Computer Engineering, True / False, on / off, you know simple stuff. I DO know that oral tradition is story telling, but not from college. :D

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL