Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

MCrider

A-List Customer
I get the Indy comment a lot and respond according to by whom and and how it is delivered.
If it's a child I just touch my brim and reply with my best Harrison Ford voice, "You better believe it kid".
If it's well meant but tounge in cheek from an adult it's, "yes but I'm better looking".
If it's shouted across a street, something like, "Look that bloke finks 'es Indiana jahns innit!" I point and shout back, "Look, that fellow thinks his opinion matters".
If it's a yobbish comment from [usually] a teenage boy trying to impress his mates, pointing out how 'uncool' I look, I find something ridiculous about His clothing and retreat while his mates are laughing at his expense. For example, if he's wearing a hoody track suit and beany hat it's easy; "And I'm going to take fashion advice from someone in an adult romper suit and a teacosy?"
The point is NOTHING will prevent me dressing as I see fit.
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Well said (and pretty funny too)

Personally I've only needed to reply once and I used a comment that I read here at the Lounge: "We named the dog Indiana," which got laughs all round.

HatsEnough

Banned
I get the Indy comment a lot and respond according to by whom and and how it is delivered.
If it's a child I just touch my brim and reply with my best Harrison Ford voice, "You better believe it kid".
If it's well meant but tounge in cheek from an adult it's, "yes but I'm better looking".
If it's shouted across a street, something like, "Look that bloke finks 'es Indiana jahns innit!" I point and shout back, "Look, that fellow thinks his opinion matters".
If it's a yobbish comment from [usually] a teenage boy trying to impress his mates, pointing out how 'uncool' I look, I find something ridiculous about His clothing and retreat while his mates are laughing at his expense. For example, if he's wearing a hoody track suit and beany hat it's easy; "And I'm going to take fashion advice from someone in an adult romper suit and a teacosy?"

With as dangerous as it is to live anywhere in England these days, I think I'd move to America if I didn't want to be knifed by a drunken yob in the streets because I was wearing a fedora!

El Sid

New in Town
I answered the door for Halloween trick-or-treaters in a legitmate IJ hat. A mom from my neighborhood said to her toddler, "Look it's Indiana Jones." I congratulated her on recognizing my costume and she said, "No, we always call you that every time we see you walking your dog."
In fact, I usually walk my pug in a charcoal borsalino with a 2.375" brim, or if it's too hot outside, a panama, or cheap Toyo straw. So I guess the point is we're all Indiana Jones to most of the public.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Perhaps in Germany we aren't as fimiliar with the Indiana Jones "Look" as you are in other countries, but I never got any comments when I wear my IJ - outfit. So I don't have a problem with wearing it, because nobody ever recognizes the dress...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, the tables have turned since the 1960s, when I was a lad. Then,the long hair and styles of the Brits were eventually copied by the Americans, with all of the accompanying jeers and attacks from local beer drinkers, rednecks and right-wingers. Then the Brits were the avant garde, and everybody else copied. Everybody. Now, it sounds as though you're mired in conservatism. I've got nothing to say about it except too bad, where did their broad-mindedness go. Once fashion leaders, now followers. Except for your royal family event hats. Those are cool.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
When I was in my teens and some jerk would see me in a Western felt and want to know where my horse was, I would respond "I don't know, but I'm amazed to see that his hind-end has learned how to talk!"
When I was in High School and College and a girl asked that question my roommate and I would say "I lost my horse mind if I ride you?"

Jeff

Hal

Practically Family
...the 1960s, when I was a lad...the long hair and styles of the Brits were eventually copied by the Americans, with all of the accompanying jeers and attacks from local beer drinkers, rednecks and right-wingers. Then the Brits were the avant garde, and everybody else copied...Now, it sounds as though you're mired in conservatism. I've got nothing to say about it except too bad, where did their broad-mindedness go.
All you write makes good sense, but - aren't most young people conservative in the stylistic sense, thanks to peer pressure? There may have been a "paradigm shift" of styles in the 1960s, but the "revolutionary" settled down to a new (and stifling)conformity. To me it seems that there is less variety in the nondescript casual clothes of today than there was in everyday wear before the "cultural revolution" of the later 1960s - and certainly there were far fewer loud and ill-mannered public comments (as experienced by writers in this thread) than non-conformists might get today.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing the bomber jacket and my Brown Mallory 15 before Indy came out so I always say the movie copied me.:) While I loved the Indy movies the whole Indy Hat thing to me is just nuts but then I am a fan boy for other things such as Fedora's which some people think as nuts.
So what do I know.;)

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
As far as I'm concerned wearing a hat generally nowadays people think as nuts, don't they? I'm amused everytime of people staring at me just because I'm wearing a fedora, not even a bowler or boater... but we are coming off topic, I'm sorry!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Interesting that this is the first time I have seen this thread, and just yesterday I had two IJ comments directed my way, both from clerks in chain stores.

The first was in Staples. I need a mouse, so I asked a young lady in Staples-red where they were located. She pointed me in the right direction, and I went off, two aisles away.

The aisles are lower than head height. I didnt realize she was still looking at me when I hear, with a big smile, 'You look like Indiana Jones!' I smiled back and said, 'Who's he,' which is my usual response.

The second was not a direct IJ reference but it was implied. I was checking out some goods at Home Depot, and the young lady cashier looked at me and said that I looked like I was ready for some great adventure. I was wearing my Fed IV, a denim shirt over a henley, and a photographers vest, all well worn in. I replied that my next stop was PC Richard so I wasnt really going on an exciting adventure. She said she loved electronics. She was done checking out my order, and I was getting the feeling I was being hit upon, so I smiled and said, have a great day, as I left.

I enjoy the comments when they are positive. Sure, a lot of kids all me cowboy, although someone will occasionally get it right. Rarely, if ever, do I get negative comments. Maybe thats because I am so comfortable in my clothing, and my own skin.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Scotty

Sounds like she was checking out more than just your order.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... at my point in life, if ANYONE compared me to Dr. Jones I would be thrilled, whether they liked my hat or not.
Sadly, the hat is the ONLY thing about me they would compare to him.

Maybe I should start wearing a fez and see if anyone would confuse me with Sidney Greenstreet!

Sam

Slim Tim

New in Town
Frankly I've never minded being compared to Indiana Jones, I've always liked the movies and they are partly to blame for the color choice of my fedora.

The comparison that really gets on my nerves are the inspector gadget ones. I don't know why, but being compared to that doofus makes me grind my teeth. I believe they're mainly caused by my choice of a grey overcoat.

60851_10150103809844097_676104096_7293602_4064785_n.jpg

I'm not sure what to do about these comparisons, because unlike Dr. Jones, Inspector Gadget is not a cool guy, and that makes it somewhat harder to shrug them off as a compliment. I mean, would you ever compliment someone by comparing them to inspector gadget?:eusa_doh:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The stingy brim fedora mixed with that jacket does bring inspector gadget to my mind. Maybe try a larger brim with that jacket and use the stingy brim with different outerwear?

Or just don't worry what anyone else thinks. Inspector gadget or not that combination of clothing looks fine on you to me.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The stingy brim fedora mixed with that jacket does bring inspector gadget to my mind. Maybe try a larger brim with that jacket and use the stingy brim with different outerwear?

I don't think brim width has much to do with it, as I get the IG comment all the time (even when not wearing a trenchcoat) and my dominant hat is an Akubra Federation.

I'm with Slim Tim that being called IG is more annoying than IJ, though I find the IJ comment a bit irritating nevertheless even though I quite enjoyed the films. Either comment is not as bad as swear words, insults, having food thrown at you, hat snatching, or violent threats - all of which I have received from complete strangers over the last year.

Or just don't worry what anyone else thinks.
Sometimes the best thing to is exactly that. It's the only way I still manage to dress up every day.

Last edited:

EggHead

Practically Family
Seems like if I wear almost any brimmed hat, I will get the Indiana Jones comment, but it has never been hostile. When sometimes people give me this puzzled look, I just smile at them as if I am having a good time wearing a hat - and I do have a good time!

Edward

Bartender
I got called Inspector Gadget by a teenage kid a couple of years ago. I was weariong a suit, tan-wool DB overcoat, and a brown Akubra Fed. I can see exactly where he was coming from, but I thought it was hilarious when I looked round behind me and saw this young kid who I would have thought far too[/] young to know the character (the cartoon was on TV when I was about eight I'm sure!). I did actually, as I believe the young people say, "L O L".

fenris

One of the Regulars
There's a new Inspector Gadget series on TV I believe. It's 3D rendered. I'm pretty sure most kids know Inspector Gadget.

Yesterday I got an Indiana Jones comment... I was wearing my Fed IV and cotton Indy jacket. As I was walking towards my car, a kid I passed (around 12-14yrs old) muttered "It's Indiana Jones!" to the people he was with.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I don't remember ever being called Indiana Jones, but when wearing western felts, I have been told "you look just like Charlie Danials" but always in a friendly way. I guess when I wore a full beard, maybe I did look a lot like him.

When I was younger, I would sometimes have some smart mouth, ask me where my horse was, or do you own any cattle? But those comments are rare, anymore, maybe it because I am getting older, look meaner or something.

However, based on what a lot of you UK fellows have said, I am glad I don't live over there, I don't think Americans in general are that rude. Americans will joke or tease a friend, or co=worker, sometimes, but we are not so inclined to openly insult a stranger, at least not where I live, of course school kids can be both mean and rude, but usually only to other kids.

It funny, though, how different people dress in public, these days. Anything goes, from shorts or pajamas to cowboy boots, hats, and spurs, to biker babes, to camo pants and high heels, you name it. At our local gas station/cafe and feed store, this morning, as I was walking up to the front door, I noticed 2 men sitting on a bench, drinking cokes, who were wearing straw cowboy hats, jeans, and cowboy boots, complete with spurs on. I didn't see any horses tied out front, and I didn't know their names, but I knew them to be the real deal, as it's not uncommon to see someone inside even with spurs on, and I had a pretty good idea who they were working for. All I can say is I would have enjoyed watching some idiot walk up and snatch a hat off of one those guy's heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails