Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

fenris

One of the Regulars
Yeah, over here in the Philippines rarely will you hear strangers openly mock another person. If they do, it's usually in hushed tones that you will rarely hear. Of course it all depends on where you are in the Philippines. If you happen to stumble upon drunkards on the street or something, there's a good chance you'll be made fun of... but I guess that also applies to other nationalities.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Most mornings, I get up at around five or six and go for a long walk through the back lanes of inner city Jakarta. I usually wear my Akubra Capricorn. Almost every time I go out, I get people calling me "Cowboy". Seriously, the Akubra Capricorn is not a cowboy hat. I guess most people in the street haven't seen Indiana Jones yet, or I'd get that instead.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
"Where did you get that hat, oh where'd you get that hat?"

Sorry, I slipped into Jeeves and Wooster when you talked about people's hats being pinched!

It was old man Glossop, wasn't it?

Sam

Justin B

One Too Many
I've never had a bad comment about my hat. Of course I do live it Texas.

I do Star Wars costuming...guess how many times I've been called a Power Ranger? it can always be worse. Indiana Jones is cool by me.

Last edited:

fenris

One of the Regulars
I've never had a bad comment about my hat. Of course I do live it Texas.

I do Star Wars costuming...guess how many times I've been called a Power Ranger? it can always be worse. Indiana Jones is cool by me.

Ouch!!!

I'm okay being called Indy by friends and family... from strangers, as long as it isn't said mockingly, then it's okay.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Have any of you been called "Indiana Dundee"? Now that sucks! A friend used to tease me by calling me that. Didn't really matter as it was just some harmless joshing among friends - but imagine if a stranger said that to you...

Have any of you been called "Indiana Dundee"? Now that sucks! A friend used to tease me by calling me that. Didn't really matter as it was just some harmless joshing among friends - but imagine if a stranger said that to you...

THAT's not a knife, mate THIS is a knife!
Crocodile-Dundee-Knife.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This is the hat I was wearing the time I received my one and only Indiana Jones comment to date...
Justin, maybe you know that fella on the left! ;) He's my favorite Power Ranger.

p2190386.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Indiana Jones isn't all that bad, he's a great reference. When I tell people I wear fedoras most ask "what is a fedora?"
And I reply "They're like Indiana Jones' hat." I tell you it is instant recognition.

mufflowne

New in Town
I'm still waiting to get an Indy comment on a bowler, but other than that, any fedora, any size, shape or color is eligible for the random passerby to make an often snide comment about Indiana Jones. The most annoying is when people start humming the tune.

Although, I'd say, to be honest, it wears down. The more you wear fedoras, the more YOU start wearing the fedora and not the fedora wearing you (in other words, you put the hat on correctly and naturally and don't treat it like gold) the less indy comments will come in. So far no comments on my grey indy4 traveller's camptown.

Justin B

One Too Many
To be back on topic, the only person who has ever given the Indy comment to me was my roomies girlfriend. Who I quickly disabused of the notion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran