Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Man, I wish I could do that...I'd probably get all tangled up in my whip.

Yeah, and that hurts!

I almost put out my sister's eye ... at least to hear how she told the story ... so mom took the bullwhip away. That was long before Indiana Jones, though.

And not nearly as nice of a whip.
I bought mine in the Ozarks on vacation.

If someone had told me they'd eventually sell stock whips for what we paid for a car back then, I'd have thought they were crazy.

Wait a minute ... I STILL think they're crazy!

Sam

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... I bought mine in the Ozarks on vacation.
If someone had told me they'd eventually sell stock whips for what we paid for a car back then, I'd have thought they were crazy.

Sam
Hi Sam

I'm sure that's where I bought mine. Couldn't hit anything with it though, all we had back then was a really old cat.

Later

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
to be fair, the jacket and cap had been around the block many times before they fell to me. I wore them with "baggie" if any of you are old enough to remember those jeans with the pleats, deep cuffs and really big legs.
It was sort of a Grapes of Wrath look.
I had a neat grey Portis fedora I'd wear with the jacket to dress it up a little.
Those were the days.

Yep, I remember those jeans from the 1980's. I evan had a pair too.......

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite ads, to date...

ilfullxfullcopy.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Okay, confession time.

I once had a chiropractor tell me to stop keeping my wallet in my back pocket and I took up wearing a fanny-pack to keep my wallet and other things in. I have received much ridicule for this, so I recently started thinking about getting a tote-bag, or satchel (both euphemisms for MAN-PURSE). I started surfing the web and saw how expensive the nice leather ones are and ended up on a webpage advertising a replica of the Indy satchel. Much, much cheaper than its leather counterpart. So, I bought one:
Photo288.jpg

Now, if anyone makes any Indy comments (yes, I expect them to increase!) I will simply respond by saying, "Never heard of him."

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone calls me Indiana Jones, I say "fortune and glory kid, fortune and glory" 90% of the time its all for fun. The other 10% doesent matter. haters gonna hate.
my two cents.
Johnny.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I really love my Fed. IV.
I have it creased in a "Crystal Skull" sort of pinch.

For the record, I was wearing leather jackets and vintage brown fedoras before Indy hit the screen ... no offense, Dr. Jones, and over the years since then, I have heard the Indy comments when I would wear everything from a vintage Dobbs to a Milan straw

Since getting my Fed IV from one of my Lounge Pals, I have worn it extensively and not so much as a whisper.

I'm thinking about getting a satchel to keep stuff in just to tempt the comments.

Frankly, I don't care either way, but it's been interesting. Maybe considering my age people are just too kind and considerate to mention Raiders... Naw! Surely that's not it?

Sam

Edward

Bartender
I only ever got a Jones comment once, while wearing an AN6552 and a brown trilby. Kids these days, if they make any sort of pop culture comment, usually reference Inspector Gadget, which I find bizarre as they're all so young. Presumably it has been repeated?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Edward,

My heart goes out to you....

In four decades of hat collecting, I have taken severe abuse on many occasions, but I've never been called Inspector Gadget

Man, that was one ugly hat!

Try to bear up...

Sam

Edward

Bartender
Edward,

My heart goes out to you....

In four decades of hat collecting, I have taken severe abuse on many occasions, but I've never been called Inspector Gadget

Man, that was one ugly hat!

Try to bear up...

Sam

lol I don't even remember his hat, only that he had one..... ha....

Sam Craig

One Too Many
As I recall ... the toon came along a little late for my kids ... but from the ads, I remember it was a stingy brim black fedora. Not a remarkably good looking hat.

People just say what comes into their heads ... trying to be smart.

I showed up to fill in at a friend's church one Sunday this past summer ... pretty warm day ... but I had on a suit and tie. I wore a nice new Milan fedora and one of the guys met me with the proclamation: "Here comes Indiana Jones."

I'm not offended. I relish the comparison, though it's a slap in the face of Dr. Jones, I'm afraid.

I just find it amazing that I have never gotten the comment while wearing my Fed IV!?!?

Sam

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I really love my Fed. IV.
I have it creased in a "Crystal Skull" sort of pinch.

For the record, I was wearing leather jackets and vintage brown fedoras before Indy hit the screen ... no offense, Dr. Jones, and over the years since then, I have heard the Indy comments when I would wear everything from a vintage Dobbs to a Milan straw

Since getting my Fed IV from one of my Lounge Pals, I have worn it extensively and not so much as a whisper.

I'm thinking about getting a satchel to keep stuff in just to tempt the comments.
Sam, you are SO behind the times. :D It's not a satchel...it's a laptop shoulder bag! :D

Frankly, I don't care either way, but it's been interesting. Maybe considering my age people are just too kind and considerate to mention Raiders... Naw! Surely that's not it?

Sam
I've been called everything from "Hey Indy!" (in Paris) to "Hey cowboy!" (in Istanbul). You come to a place where you just ignore it.

Edward

Bartender
As lng as it's not mean-spirited, I see little reason to do any other than let it wash over me. It's only really the "cowboy" comments that set my teeth on edge, but even then most folks mean well, it's just that in a broadly hatless culture they have only limited cultural reference points for these things. Actually, the Indy comparison wouldn't bother me at all. I onlt got sharp with one guy - a street performer in Covent Garden who thought it was funny to say I looked like a Nazi, so I told him I found that offensive - "My mother is Jewish". Didn't phase me in the least, but it struck me as a really stupid comment to make in such a multi-cultural city such as London where for all he knew I could have grown up with (or, indeed, without) grandparents who were in a camp. Normally I'm unflappable and as a rule there are very, very few boundaries with humour for me. I'll not repeat some of the things I laugh at on the Lounge. But sometimes....

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Sam, you are SO behind the times. :D It's not a satchel...it's a laptop shoulder bag! :D
I've been called everything from "Hey Indy!" (in Paris) to "Hey cowboy!" (in Istanbul). You come to a place where you just ignore it.

Blackthorn,

I walked into the local Goodwill about a year ago and for just a few bucks I picked up a brand new Rawlings laptop bag "man purse" that is made out of the same material as a Rawlings baseball glove. It's an incredible bag and I've used the heck out of it, though it is too shallow for my laptop because I have one that was my elder son's in college and it has the hi-def screen, so it's taller.

I have been tickled for years at the little boys in grocery stores or elsewhere who, seeing me in a fedora, announce "There goes a cowboy!"

I take that as about the highest compliment you can get.

Take care,

Sam

jedichase

New in Town
I don't get a lot of "cowboy" comments since there are a lot of cowboy hat wearers here in the agricultural area of florida, but I get an "indy" comment here and there.
One thing I dont' understand is I get "indy" comments only when I'm wearing a non-indy hat (black fedoras, panama, etc.) but when I do wear my indy hat I never get a "indy" comment. It seems that this holds true for other people as well. I guess it is just another mystery of the universe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats