Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Shane

New in Town
I don't think it had anything to do with IJ, but my local grocery store cashier finally asked me, "Is that a fedora?". It was at the time, as summer only comes crashes on the feet of winter in Chicago. "Yes it is", I said, followed by a friendly "It looks very good on you". As summer has come crashing down on us, I am now wearing my Optimo straw, but still feeling wonderful in my lid.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hear, hear!

Woodfluter said:
...but I actually think we may have become a much more tolerant and open culture of late. Consider as one indicator the candidates in the recent U.S. primaries. There may be a growing inclination, on seeing someone different from oneself, to think "now that's interesting" instead of "what's wrong with him (or her)".

- Bill

:eusa_clap From your lips to G_d's ear, my friend. :eusa_clap

Panache

A-List Customer
Perhaps it is just me but Indiana Jones as a character is a rather dashing dresser. There are a lot of worse comparrisons to be had out there.

I wore this outfit (minus the whip) to help out at my son's school because the kids in my son's class have been talking about the new movie.

DSC05918.jpg

I enjoyed the smiles that I brought to the kids.

Cheers

Jamie

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
From my FedDlx (replaced a Stetson) over the past couple of years:

I have only had a couple Indiana Jones comments, more "cowboy" comments but I live in southern Utah and c'boys are not uncommon.

But, mostly, I get the "nice gangster hat."

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Time for the Panama

I'll tell you what. For the next couple of months I'm only wearing my Panama. Luckily, it's Panama hat season. Once the IJ thing settles down it will be fur felt time again.

And I wear an Adventurebilt, which is as Indiana Jones as you can get. ;)

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
how is this flick by the way?? is it any good?? i have been meaning to go see it, but I havent really had the time do so...I know Cate Blanchett plays the villan in this one right?? Any recomendations???
=ritzy=

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
What was the question, ritzy? I was looking at your avatar. Woohoo!

As long as no one says "You look like a dork in that Indiana Jones, cowboy, Eliot Ness, Jay Gatsby, Jake Gittes, Dick Tracy, Inspector Gadget, Inspector Gecko, Rabbi, Sam Spade hat," then I'm fine with comments. I don't nod and smile, I talk with the people. That way we both find something out.

RudyN

One of the Regulars
I was thinking of getting a Fedora and looked around on e-bay and almost all the Fedoras there have the words "Indiana Jones" as part of the description. I think I will do my looking in this forum for a Fedora. Probably shouldn't be to hard to find one as I can get away with a 6 7/8 or 7 depending on the brand.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Fedora Lounge IJ Related HITS

Judging by the number of people in the HATS
section this may be IJ movie related?????? :rolleyes:

Solid Citizen ;)

Archéologue

"I hate to complain (or tell you your job)
but a paleontologist LOOKS for dino bones. Anyone can find them regardless of their profession (I have and I'm a librarian*)
I've also found gold"

Ah! a Librarian! Good. Hope you have a classic paleontologist's book by
George Gaylord Simpson, "Attending Marvels" which I read as a kid. Long
before Indiana Jones, this guy was running around the remotest parts of
Argentina looking for fossils and having adventures. I have a photo of
him wearing a beret and holding a guanaco or llama or something.
Those must have been the days. He was actually rather well known in his time.
-m

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'm not officially that species of geologist called paleontologist, but I've done a good deal of fossil hunting, before college, in college, and after. And enjoyed myself thoroughly. You don't have to be a paleontologist to either look for or find fossils, but knowledge help a lot. And dinosaur bones, contrary to popular opinion, are possibly the most troublesome and least rewarding of fossils unless you have years to dedicate to excavating, transporting and preparing them!

George Gaylord Simpson (1902-1984) was part of my very early reading, grade school years (my early education was a bit odd). I might have read that very book but can't quite recall at present. Probably part of what incited me to an interest in geology.

I really think Simpson's biggest contribution was being the first to postulate what was later called "puncutated equilibrium", in opposition to the older picture of uniform and gradual evolution. A very cool man of action and ideas.

- Bill
"Man is the result of a purposeless and natural process that did not have him in mind." - GGS

MAB1

Suspended
You can only blame yourself.

You order an Indy hat... you get what ya got coming.

So don't be frickin whining about it.

I can whine about it but... ya know what? It aint no Indy hat but, people don't care. It reminds them of one.

Some people like ourselves may actually get serious about wearing hats, as a result.

Some, I said.

Markus

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I must admit, I only have acquired two hats so far - got 'em not too long after joining the lounge. One straw Baily for when it's sunny, and a brown fedora Stetson.

When I saw the movie was coming out, I gave serious thought to getting a different colored felt to tide things over. But, it hasn't really been an issue. I've been surprised to not get the Indy comments. Folks who know me know I just wear hats all the time now, and those who don't - well, the complements still out number the wisecracks so far.

Not bad, not bad.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
patrick1987 said:
As long as no one says "You look like a dork in that Indiana Jones, cowboy, Eliot Ness, Jay Gatsby, Jake Gittes, Dick Tracy, Inspector Gadget, Inspector Gecko, Rabbi, Sam Spade hat," then I'm fine with comments. I don't nod and smile, I talk with the people. That way we both find something out.

You forgot Archie Bunker!

Well it ALMOST happened to me the other night when my baby and I went to see the new IJ flick.

{Ritzy, I enjoyed it even though it had it's campier moments, as you'd expect.}

Anyway, a rather jovial concession stand lady asked us, "What movie are you going to see?" "The new Indiana Jones flick", we replied. "Oh yes, I see you've got the hat...(smiling nicely while filling our icees)"

I was actually wearing my Disney dress felt which is the color of creamy coffee with a dark brown ribbon, small orange feather and a Cavanagh edge. Not exactly an Indy hat and not exactly, "Hey, you tryin' to be Indiana Jones or somethin'?"

I'll keep waiting for that kind of comment to come and I know I'll just bust out with a laugh after reading so much about the consternation it causes to some fedora wearers and anticipating it now for myself...

NonEntity

Suspended
We've gone over and over this issue here on FL.

While I agree that a person calling any fedora an Indiana Jones hat is potentially irritating to the hat cognoscenti, keep in mind that 99% of the time such a comment is a compliment or simply an effort to connect.

For the same reason, people make similar errors all the time. When people learn that I--a slender and athletic guy--am diabetic, they often say, "But you don't look like a diabetic," because they do not realize that I'm a Type I diabetic, which is purely genetic and unrelated to body size or level of physical activity. How many times has my Infinity been misidentified as a Lexus? And I cannot count the times any of the large semi-automatic pistols in my collection have been called Colt .45s.

The Indiana Jones character has by far and away the strongest association with brimmed hats of modern times, so people simply call any remotely similar hat an "Indy." As headgear enthusiasts, we must remember that we are all ambassadors from the Hat Nation, and being nice to such people is key to a favorable foreign relations policy and perhaps even making them one of our own.

In the bigger picture, just because you know a lot about something, don't assume other people do. When you get right down to it, there is really not that much which is "common sense."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran