Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DANDRUFF Thread

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I still swear by the Therapeutic T+Plus Gel Shampoo, it's a coal tar shampoo, a generic version of neutrogena Therapeutic T/Gel Shamoo. My 14 yo has been using it for months, almost since the beginning of the year, and has been basically flake free!!! Its a tad medicinal smelly, but that rinses right out or if you like a nice smell you can always use a nice smelling conditioner. Of course, when she conditions, thats when she fluffs up. The two combined makes for very curly hair, lots of body!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Nizoral rocks!!! It also foams up real good making it easy to wash your hair.

Not dyeing my hair so much and washing less often has helped control my dandruff. It also depends on how much I'm working out and sweating on my scalp. I use a moisturizing shampoo (it changes) and then I do a dandruff shampoo every couple of weeks, or when my head feels particularly...grimy.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Well I switched shampoo this weekend. I was orginally using Scalp Remedy by Aveda, which is meant to clean deep down to the roots and scalp... and it worked well up until 2 weeks ago. I switched to a moisture rich shampoo called Sap Moss and found a scalp spray. Both were wonderful for relieving the urge to scratch plus I am feeling much less flake-like!

Ugh! I am tempted to go to a dermatologist anyways :mad:

nyx

One of the Regulars
Not to be a downer, ladies, but coal tar is also considered a carcinogen so extended use of it is not recommended. I believe it even says that on Neutrogena's bottle. So, I think it's ok for short term usage, but I wouldn't keep using it every time you shampoo. I used to use it as well, but I made sure to rotate it with other shampoos.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This sounds interesting...

Ginger Dandruff Treatment
Ingredients
Ginger root
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions
Squeeze ginger root through press to obtain one tablespoon of juice. Mix all ingredients. Apply to scalp and let dry before shampooing. Repeat three times a week.

Im gonna try it!
LD

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
I have to say that i now have NO DANDRUFF:D .....it was the jojoba oil thingy that did it for me. I do it about once every two weeks. I also use faith in nature shampoo and conditioner jojoba too. I only shampoo about once a month...my hair is so much better for it.

Thanks gals:eusa_clap

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I recently had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic that gave me hives on my head, neck and arms. After the hives healed, I've had really bad dandruff on my head that I can't seem to get rid of. After trying dandruff shampoos from the drug store with no relief, I went to the health food store and asked the employees what they suggested and it is pretty much in line with what you ladies are doing. She suggested jojoba oil on the scalp. She also suggested mixing a couple of drops of tea tree oil in with my shampoo. Last night, I massaged jojoba oil onto my scalp and let it sit for about an hour, then I shampooed with the tea tree oil. Today my flakes have been drastically reduced. I went from a shower of white flakes to almost no flakes overnight.

I also bought some borage oil supplements for long-term prevention. It's a cold-pressed fish oil that is really good for dry skin, eczema, etc. According to the folks at the health food store,, it takes awhile to see the results from the borage oil but they all said it's amazing stuff. We shall see.

A question for the ladies that already do the jojoba oil scalp treatment. how often do you do this? Once a week, twice a week, every other day? how often should I mix the tea tree oil with my shampoo? Is everyday too much?

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Dandruff, or, The Bane of My Existence

I finally bit the bullet and tried TGel, even though I had read about coal tar's being a carcinogen. I've actually read conflicting reports on this; some say that the concentration of coal tar in consumer personal care products isn't high enough to be carcinogenic, others say to avoid the ingredient at all costs. Nothing was working though, and I'm definitely allergic to SLS-based products.

I use Avalon Tea Tree & Mint Shampoo about 75% of the time, and TGel the rest of the time. I'm trying to wean myself off the TGel, but it does seem to work where nothing has before. (With my family history, the fewer carcinogens, the better. :eek: )

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
The TGel shampoo didn't do a thing for my dandruff except make my hair very dry.

I just ordered the Jojoba shampoo & conditioner from the discount website mentioned earlier in this thread. In fact I couldn't believe how much cheaper the products were from that website than buying them through the local health food store, that I bought a bunch of Jason products to try. If you buy them through the website, they're just as expensive as the drug store products I've been buying.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
See I beleive there is dandruff that is the dry scalp related kind...which tends to respond to things like the jojoba oil etc...

and then there is dandruff that is way more severe...in fact, calling mine dandruff is sort inaccurate.

If I do not use the appropriate shampoo (yes tgel) I have dime to quarter size bits of my scalp peel off continually, accompanied by raw red spots and itching to the point where if I gave in to it, my scalp would bleed.

Different solutions for different problems...not everyone -needs- tgel...so its always best to start with the lighter-medicinal things first and try them....moving upwards to the more heavy hitters.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
FINALLY! Someone else that suffers from the same situation. It is the most painful thing I have ever felt. It is almost addictive. Once it starts to flake off, I can't help but try to get more off, then I end up with patchy sore spots. The only solution I found for that bad habit is to cut my nails ultra short to prevent picking :rage: Then suddenly it goes away in a matter of a few days.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I had bad dandruff until I stopped using shampoo altogether. Now all I use is conditioner, and despite the odd flake now and again from dry weather, everything is peachy-keen!

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I was worried about only using conditioner--but my hair feels clean, and is far softer, than it's ever been. It took a while to ween myself off of shampoo, but now I never use it. And I use a conditioner that doesn't build up--basically, I just rub it into my hair at the beginning of the shower, and rinse it out before I wash my face and neck at the end (to prevent break-outs). I only wash my hair twice a week now, it doesn't get greasy...basically, it took me about a year to get my hair used to the new treatment. But it curls better, not as many split-ends, shiny, holds color...

The only downside is that it doesn't work for everyone. My hair is fine and curly, so it needs the moisture, something that it didn't get with shampooing. (Shampoo=dry hair=dry scalp=over-compensation by scalp to produce oil=greasy hair and dandruff, a viscious cycle). So, if you're willing to try it, and you think your hair can take it, it may work!

*By the way, there is a difference between dandruff and just a plain dry scalp. I thought I had dandruff until my dermatologist told me that the condition created thick, scaly yellow flakes, not the fine white ones I had.

Twinkle

Familiar Face
My boyfriend gets really bad dandruff caused by Porisis (lousy spelling sorry), he gets Nizoral shampoo from the doctors but you can also by it from a pharmacy.

I hope this helps.

Estelle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner