Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Forget about what the fit was like in those WWII photos. I have read that they are often left on hangers by the hatch so whoever goes up to the deck can grab it
Bit late to the party this time, but Blackadder nailed it. You'd just grab one and call it good. The older types (blue ones with US NAVY across the back) were more personal outfitted, though, as you can see from old pics. Those fit the individual sailors better. Some officers seem to have had their jackets tailored.

But to say that these jackets were generally worn loose is not supported by WWII photos I have seen. I think you'd avoid a too roomy fit in any kind of work jacket on deck. It was drafty on a flight deck and you did not want to get snagged with a too bulky jacket. As long as you were able to move freely you'd prefer a close to body fit. The high armpits added a lot to the freedom of arm movement.
After the war these jackets were extremely popular as allround purpose outdoor jacket, worn by many (just like the Vietnam War M65 or the German BW Parka). Pictures showing them being worn by civilians show, that they privately were preferred more roomy fitting. Just my two cents.

I pretty much agree to Bfd70. It is good if the jacket does not only fit over a T-Shirt but allows at least one additional layer like a light sweater.

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
oh so deck Jacket is suppose to fit like my pic?
If you ask me: YES!
Looks good on you. It is never looking good if one fills a jacket like a saucage a gut. From where your shoulder seams sit and from the length of the sleeves it is a good fitting jacket on you.

CatsCan

Practically Family
If you look back through the thread the consensus is that the Real McCoys probably do the slimmest N1.
True. Annoyingly trim fitting. For me Pike Bros have their sleeve issues. Real McCoys have the asian too snug issue for me, Buzz Ricksons are too boxy for me, Bronsons can be good if sized up and internal cuffs moved futher down the sleeve... N-1s can be a very stubborn thing when it comes to fit. I think one must try all to find out what make fits one's induividual shape the most comfortable at best or in a worse scenario the least annoying. They tend to get more comfortable with lots of wear, though.

breezer

Practically Family
True. Annoyingly trim fitting. For me Pike Bros have their sleeve issues. Real McCoys have the asian too snug issue for me, Buzz Ricksons are too boxy for me, Bronsons can be good if sized up and internal cuffs moved futher down the sleeve... N-1s can be a very stubborn thing when it comes to fit. I think one must try all to find out what make fits one's induividual shape the most comfortable at best or in a worse scenario the least annoying. They tend to get more comfortable with lots of wear, though.
I wear an Iron Heart N1 - fit is just right for me

4444Design

One of the Regulars
simply love the fit and look of deckjackets (both N1 and A2) due to that ordered one in leather at "Fivestar" ...

zb99ekC.jpg

9tYzo7h.jpg

zBrWVBV.jpg

CatsCan

Practically Family
simply love the fit and look of deckjackets (both N1 and A2) due to that ordered one in leather at "Fivestar" ...
What.A.Jacket. Well done! I bet it will age beautifully! And it's perfect Deck Jacket weather right now here in Germany. I wore one of mine today with great joy. What brand are those jeans? Pike Brothers Roamer 37's?

4444Design

One of the Regulars
What.A.Jacket. Well done! I bet it will age beautifully! And it's perfect Deck Jacket weather right now here in Germany. I wore one of mine today with great joy. What brand are those jeans? Pike Brothers Roamer 37's?

yep - pants are PB roamers

thatoreoguy

New in Town
So I tried on a Real Mccoys ages ago and fell in love. YEars later I live in a cold place and can justify this jacket.

Before I pull the trigger on a real mccoys any other recommendations? Or have a sullied myself by trying on TRM

I am about a 42-44 but have wide shoulders so I think the 44 just feels nicer.( from memory)

Thoughts feelings suggestions

Last edited:

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I bought and returned a blue RMC N-1 because a) the way it fit was weird and uncomfortable (very roomy body, but short sleeves) and b) it was not worth the dough I'd spent on it. I got a Buzz Rickson Demotex version instead which is easily its equal, and fits me very well (on the more relxed side, but thats how I like my warm jackets).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui