Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Demise of the Summer Suit

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
It's difficult..

...to draw the line between the general draw down of dress clothing wear and general changing fashion and wear patterns.

When I graduated from college, every man in a professional job wore a suit. Now that only certain professions wear them, it is difficult for sellers and producers to economically provide more diversity. That means that stocking a summer and winter suits has given way to "year round" suits that can be worn (in air conditioning) 12 months a year.

A lot of on-line sellers still provide seersucker in a number of colors and poplin cotton suits. I myself rarely wear a suit, but I wear a coat and tie every day. I have blue/white and khaki/white seersucker jackets that I pair up with coordinating slacks.

I find that people neither seem to notice nor comment on what I wear. It may be that they are used to me after so many years.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I can't speak for others of course, but for me, any suit is too hot to wear during the summer here in Tennessee. I remember wearing my modern suit (super thin material) at my grandmother's funeral, which was in late September of 2007, and I recall nearly passing out a couple of times from the heat. I finally obtained a spot under a thick shade tree, and a fairly nice breeze came along and helped a little. A light linen suit probably would have helped some, but nothing but air conditioning can make summer here comfortable. And it lasts from mid April until November. :mad:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Does anybody recall reading Classic Style Magazine?

Spring 2007, Issue 2, pg. 41

"Ciao, Marcello: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the White Suit"

H.Johnson

One Too Many
And to myself and many of my friends. In UK academic circles, a pale linen or thin cotton suit is sometimes known humorously as 'an external examiner's suit' and is almost a uniform - a self parody, even. Perhaps its an age thing. Most 'senior citizens' that I know still wear summer suits when not wearing slacks and blazers.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dark navy SB linen/silk summer suit (pics)

I love this one in the summer and in a professional environment, it stands out less than the white. Got it through Boden of all places.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
I finally understand my attraction to white suits.
I figured it out years ago.

Actually, I was seduced by a DB Palm Beach suit that turned up in my size in Des Moines in 1982. (My size at the time? 37 reg. I was fifteen.) Such things were not unheard of in antediluvian* Des Moines.

*pre-1993

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Summer suit on the RMS Queen Mary (pic)

DSCN0466.jpg

Dan D

Familiar Face
Linen for the summer

Speaking as another resident of the UK, my summer wardrobe comprises six linen suits in dark-brown pinstripe, light brown pinstripe, two tan, a grey pinstripe and a white linen - the last of which I haven't yet had the courage to wear! Working at a university in the arts, it's entirely accepted perhaps as it's less formal than, say, working in the administrative departments or the sciences.

The white suit, though, I had to purchase - I think I'd been swayed by watching Geoffrey Rush in 'The Tailor of Panama,' which I watch for the tailoring scenes more than anything else :) - but it will require a little more courage.

Does anyone else work in situations where linen suits are ok ?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Whenever someone mentions white summer suits, I'm reminded of an excerpt from a 1942 book on writing (Characters Make Your Story by Maren Elwood):

"Suppose you see a man coming toward you on the street. He wears an oyster-white sport coat, complete with belt and gathers in the back, and heavily padded shoulders. A yellow feather flower protrudes jauntily from his lapel. His slacks are made of expensive flannel, pale lilac in color. His hat, a close-woven panama, is banded with folds of Kelly-green silk.
The man is obviously an extremist, lacking in balanced judgment and taste. You know that he is vain, full of egotism and self-love. His dominant desire is to attract attention through externals, rather than by sound accomplishments or true worth. He may be good-hearted enough, generous in an impulsive way, but you can never depend on him and he is probably a dreadful bore to those who know him."

:D

On the whole, I think white/light-colored summer suits on men are just common sense. Why boil in something dark-colored and heavy? [huh]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Because you want esteem and respect, and the obvious way to earn them is to sweat even when you're not moving a muscle.

I'd love to have taken Miss Elwood aside and given her a good talking-to. On top of it all, she has the salt to impugn beltbacks and gathers, associating it all with pale lilac pants, yellow feathers and kelly-green bands. Why not just say the man deals in hot ration stamps and has been known to loiter around the boys' track team?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge, Dan D. I'm a post grad at Uni and I wear suits often, I imagine many of the undergrads think I'm staff. The other people in my department have gotten used to it, and will remark on the change when I dress casually.

I have two 'summer' suits. One is an off-white linen, the other a gray lightweight worsted with an unlined jacket.

DSC09690.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

I also have a gray DB suit which is light enough for cooler summer days. I really want a white 3-piece linen suit, but they're hard to come by. I love the 3-piece db linen suit Magnoli offers, I'd buy one if I could afford it. Someday.

Cheers,
Nick

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The man in the oyster white suit....

ShoreRoadLady said:
The man is obviously an extremist, lacking in balanced judgment and taste. You know that he is vain, full of egotism and self-love. His dominant desire is to attract attention through externals, rather than by sound accomplishments or true worth.

"Yep!! fits the bill...haha ;) " But there is something about 'white/off white' that just looks and feels the biz when the sun sits high in the sky..."

summersuit002-1-1.jpg

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Fletch said:
I'd love to have taken Miss Elwood aside and given her a good talking-to. On top of it all, she has the salt to impugn beltbacks and gathers, associating it all with pale lilac pants, yellow feathers and kelly-green bands. Why not just say the man deals in hot ration stamps and has been known to loiter around the boys' track team?

I thought y'all would appreciate that one. lol

I'm a fan of Kelly green, myself...

(And just to be clear, I don't share Ms. Elwood's opinions. ;) )

Dan D

Familiar Face
Linen for the summer continued...

Dear Nick,
That first suit is similar to one of my own - it looks better on you, though! Although mine has flap rather than patch pockets, I think I prefer the look of patch pockets on linen suits. The second is very fine indeed, and not like anything in my wardrobe: cue envy here. I like your boater - hats don't suit me, alas. I tend to wear a cravat when I feel cavalier and want to cut a dash.

I've not yet dressed casually going to work: I fear the staff and students would either not recognise me or pass out with shock...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Promised photo continuation:
1940s and 50s:

Honolulu Chamber of Commerce 1940s:

image_preview

Flying United Airlines to Hawaii 1950s:

367114133.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member