Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
My one and only Dobbs Twenty

MVC-049F.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

duggap said:
Man, I sure wish you would post a thread on how you bash your hats. That is some of the very best I have ever witnessed. Maybe, for a small fee, we can start sending our hats to you for bashing.:p

Hey -- if I tell you how to do it, how can I start my new bashing service?:D

Seriously, though, many thanks for the kind words, duggap. Glad you like the bashes. In some ways, it's kind of hard to describe the process in words in a meaningful way -- a video would actually be much easier to follow. But, if folks are interested, I could provide a general description that might give people some ideas to use in their own bashing efforts.

Cheers,
JtL

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok then......

I finally got my 1st Dobbs today, it was here when I got home from work, what a pleasant surprise....I absolutely love it. I wasn't sure if I was going to or not, until I put it on my head....wow. You gotta love Vintage hats, eh? :D

So here's my Dobbs Twenty.
Dobbs2.jpg

I must say, I'm thrilled to be adding to this list.....
Dobbs1.jpg

bolthead

Thanks.....

Thanks guys, I didn't think I'd like a wider brimmed hat on myself, but I really like this hat, the color is awesome, I like the ribbon and it really fits nice.....the felt is amazing, it's in mint shape. Can you believe I picked it up for less than $18 shipped? It's a great hat.

jonbuilder

Dobbs numbering system

Can any explain the numbering system stamped on the vintage Dobb sweat bands? I have notice ffteen, twenty, fouty, and one hundred.. Is this Hatco's way of indicating price like Setson did with their number modle hats?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jonbuilder said:
Can any explain the numbering system stamped on the vintage Dobb sweat bands? I have notice ffteen, twenty, fouty, and one hundred.. Is this Hatco's way of indicating price like Setson did with their number modle hats?

I believe it was a fairly common practice way back when, jonbuilder. You're correct, the numbers are actually the price for that hat at that time.

Cheers,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My $4.99 Dobbs Twenty-Five Guild Edge Alpine-style hat finally arrived today, so I thought I'd post it here, as well as over at the Satin Finish/Long Hair Club. Beautiful hat, but really needs a good cleaning, as the cream-colored felt is quite dingy brown in spots. A few moth divots, but these aren't very noticeable with the longhair finish.

Could date from 1944-1955, roughly, but best guess places it in the early-'50s. I don't know when Hat Corp. started using oilskin liner tip protectors, but I think the general consensus here is that companies were using them by the early-'50s.

Mayserwegener, or anyone, what's the history of this style of hat in America?

The reorder tag is buried under the liner, so I couldn't get a photo, but it's the standard Hat Corp. one we've seen from the '50s on, though the tag style could date back to the previous decade. There is no union tag present, but on the underside of the sweatband there used to be a two-inch long tag for something. I haven't seen a union tag that size, though.

Specs:
5 3/8" crown
2 1/4" brim - not as stingy as it looks!

Dobbs25-1.jpg

Dobbs25-2.jpg

Dobbs25-3.jpg

The hat doesn't fit me, but maybe I can convince my wife to wear it.lol

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
My $4.99 Dobbs Twenty-Five Guild Edge Alpine-style hat finally arrived today, so I thought I'd post it here, as well as over at the Satin Finish/Long Hair Club. Beautiful hat, but really needs a good cleaning, as the cream-colored felt is quite dingy brown in spots. A few moth divots, but these aren't very noticeable with the longhair finish.

Could date from 1944-1955, roughly, but best guess places it in the early-'50s. I don't know when Hat Corp. started using oilskin liner tip protectors, but I think the general consensus here is that companies were using them by the early-'50s.

Mayserwegener, or anyone, what's the history of this style of hat in America?

The reorder tag is buried under the liner, so I couldn't get a photo, but it's the standard Hat Corp. one we've seen from the '50s on, though the tag style could date back to the previous decade. There is no union tag present, but on the underside of the sweatband there used to be a two-inch long tag for something. I haven't seen a union tag that size, though.

Specs:
5 3/8" crown
2 1/4" brim - not as stingy as it looks!

Dobbs25-1.jpg

Dobbs25-2.jpg

Dobbs25-3.jpg

The hat doesn't fit me, but maybe I can convince my wife to wear it.lol

Brad

Hm, it is indeed a South-Germanesque-Austrianish style. Interesting that one can come across this type of hat made (?) by US makers. Would really be interesting, why that is so and what is the cause?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21