Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting Double Life there, Brad! The sweat looks to be a cut above the standard, too.

The stingies in the last ad you posted must have about 1-inch brims. :eeek:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Interesting Double Life there, Brad! The sweat looks to be a cut above the standard, too.

The stingies in the last ad you posted must have about 1-inch brims. :eeek:

Yes, I'd like to try one of those Cushion-Aire sweats, but this one's way too small for me. They look like they might be comfy.

Brad

TPD166

One Too Many
If anyone is interested, I have listed a nice vintage Dobbs 5th Avenue Open Road/Stratoliner clone in the classifieds:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?65394-FS-FT-Dobbs-Open-Road-Strat-clone-7-3-8

dobbs1.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just found this ad on ebay and I actually have never seen it before. Its from 1939 and is advertising the "NEW" Dobbs Gothic Taper Crown and Bowl Brim. I gotta say, advertising hasn't changed through the years. Any good advertising firm knows that the key is to take an already existing product, change some words/catch phrases in the ads, and make the consumer think they are getting something new. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this ad, but the taper crown and bowl brim in 1939 were NOTHING new. These two styling trends were big from the 1890's-1920's. The bowl brim is described as, "Rolling downward, then upward, it rounds out the picture with a dashing swirl." The Gothic crown is described as, "smart lines of the new crown sloping gently upward and inward. All lines, fore and aft, port and starboard, tend to converge."

1939DobbsParkAvenueGothicTaperCrown.jpg

The crown was tapered like that because it lent itself very well to a center dent. When the center dent was used and was made to be fairly deep, the sides of the crown would "square up" and appear VERY straight. I have Austrian and American hats from the teens's and 20's which employ the exact same crown and brim treatment. I just thought it was funny that Dobbs was advertising it as a new idea. :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I got this Dobbs last week. As mentioned in the new hats thread, the auction photos sort of made it appear similar to an OR, but it turned out to be miniature all over, and rather tapered in the crown. I think I can live with the crown, but I discovered that the acute flange bothered me more than the stinginess of the brim, which actually turned out to be 2 3/8".

So I've messed with it a bit, though I haven't yet tried to flatten the brim. Here's the high bothersome flange:

062ii.jpg

And here's what I've tried so far-- snapping it all up, but lowering the front and back:

070qj.jpg

front view:

071up.jpg

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings, All,

Please take a look at this Dobbs (Stetson) hat that I got today on 'the bay. I posted it in "ask a question, get an answer", and so far, it looks like it's a newer Dobbs, or a bastardized Stetson with Dobbs sweatband. I hope that it is a beaver felt hat, as wool felts just don't attract me. I guess I'll know, for sure, when it arrives, but if it's wool, I'm thinking, more and more, that I will return it. Thanks for any comments you Dobbs Gents can share and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360476594833?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The auction pictures aren't crystal clear, but if I had to wager a guess, I would guess fur felt. The hat doesn't seem to have the texture of wool. Doubtful that it is beaver however, as the more modern hats tended to phase out beaver. Of course, given the mismatched liner and sweat, I suppose it's anyone's guess.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Evening, Sir,

Thanks for more thoughts on this hat. I got a note from the seller telling me that, if I were unhappy for any reason, I could return it for a full refund, which is more than fair. I will hope it's at least a fur felt, and in decent condition, as well as fitting me properly. As soon as it arrives, I'll take and post a few photos here, which may help solidify more information about this hat. Thank you, again, for taking the time to respond. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I got this Dobbs last week. As mentioned in the new hats thread, the auction photos sort of made it appear similar to an OR, but it turned out to be miniature all over, and rather tapered in the crown. I think I can live with the crown, but I discovered that the acute flange bothered me more than the stinginess of the brim, which actually turned out to be 2 3/8".

So I've messed with it a bit, though I haven't yet tried to flatten the brim. Here's the high bothersome flange:

Jeff, looks good the Homburg shape, maybe the best what you can do with him.

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
Just received my first vintage Dobbs today from an eBay auction I won recently. Brad said it was either from the 50's or 60's. I'd like to know a little bit more about it though. It has "Baskin" stamped into the side of the leather sweatband. Not quite sure what that means. I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me about it. :cool:

792f301d.jpg

eb0df857.jpg

925d26e0.jpg

04de962e.jpg

The Baskin name is connected with men's clothing stores in the Chicago area There may also be a family connection with the Baskin-Robbins ice cream chain. Should be a fun google search adventure.

Enjoy your new hat!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The Baskin name is connected with men's clothing stores in the Chicago area There may also be a family connection with the Baskin-Robbins ice cream chain. Should be a fun google search adventure.

Enjoy your new hat!
+1

Also, while delving into the Baskin-Robbins side of things, pay attention to John Robbins, the son who rejected his own family fortune when he uncovered the darker side of the dairy industry. Fascinating stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner