Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Its been a while since my last ebay hat ad "purge", but I decided to go through again and try to find all the ads that havent been seen yet. I'm SURE there are going to be duplicates of some, but some I have never seen before.

1936DobbsCrossCountryAugust1936.jpg

1936DobbsHanleyHallSeptember1936.jpg

1937DobbsGamebirdDecember1937.jpg

1938DobbsSmokyBrownApril1938.jpg

1941DobbsFieldStreamGamebirdMixtures.jpg

1943DobbsGamebirdSaksFifthAve.jpg

1944DobbsRainbowSaksFifthAve.jpg

1947DobbsGayGray.jpg

1949DobbsGamebirdDoubleBarreled.jpg

1950DobbsBari-Tone.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
The older ads, the hats have a wide-brim. The younger ads, from 1950s, the Hats have most short-brim.
Probably lies on the time and the mode

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The older ads, the hats have a wide-brim. The younger ads, from 1950s, the Hats have most short-brim.

The mid to later 50's hats also had shorter, more tapered crowns. It seemed though from personal experience and the ads, that the early (1953 and before) hats were not much different than the mid to late 40's hats with proportions. It wasn't until 54 or 55 that proportions really started to change. IMO

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post these ads, Josh. They are a great source of reference, not to mention visually delightful.

Mystic

Practically Family
I tried reading through this thread, just skimmed really, looking for some info about Dobbs sweatbands.....didn't see it.....

On some Dobbs sweatbands there is a gold 'imprinted' band around the sweat. It seems to me this is on new-er Dobbs hats.

Does the gold band on the sweat give any indication of the time frame the hat was made?
Was there a before/after point in time that Dobbs began using this on sweats?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Good question.

I envision a new thread: Dating Vintage Dobbs By Sweatband Markings

Wouldn't take long to assemble the necessary information, given this crowd's holdings. :)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I tried reading through this thread, just skimmed really, looking for some info about Dobbs sweatbands.....didn't see it.....

On some Dobbs sweatbands there is a gold 'imprinted' band around the sweat. It seems to me this is on new-er Dobbs hats.

Does the gold band on the sweat give any indication of the time frame the hat was made?
Was there a before/after point in time that Dobbs began using this on sweats?

The gold line makes it a modern hat. That didn't start happening until sometime in the 1970s after the Hat Corporation of America's brand names were sold to Koracorp and production moved to Garland, Texas.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Good question.

I envision a new thread: Dating Vintage Dobbs By Sweatband Markings

Wouldn't take long to assemble the necessary information, given this crowd's holdings. :)

Nope, not long at all, as there isn't much in the way of variation.

This embossed and slanted style was used from 1908 until sometime around WWII. Let's call it Phase 1:
Stamp.jpg

There are very slight differences in the exact shapes of the letters and depth of embossing over the years, but I don't know that we have enough information to necessarily pin down any changes due to differences the dies.

By the late 1940s the word Dobbs was stamped in gold, typically on a textured sweatband, and this lasted until the early 1950s.
DobbsGoldStamp.jpg

The changeover to Phase 3 occurred in the early 1950s, and featured the Golden Coach. It has lasted until the present day.
Dobbs25-3.jpg

The later logos do not feature as deep of a stamping as the earlier ones, nor the crisp gold edges. This example is from 1970:
1970Dobbs.jpg

Phase 4, if we want to mark it as a separate phase, is a revival of Phase 2 by the mid- to late-1960s. This example is from 1968:
1968Dobbs.jpg

Brad

Mystic

Practically Family
The gold line makes it a modern hat. That didn't start happening until sometime in the 1970s after the Hat Corporation of America's brand names were sold to Koracorp and production moved to Garland, Texas.

Brad

O.K. thanks.

kind of what I was thinking....but, I was thinking maybe 60's.

Even newer than I thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari