Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Babel

:eek:fftopic: We need some kind of European Union facility on this forum, translating all that is said automatically to the mother tongue of the reading forum member. :eusa_doh: And the other way around. Minority language, or not. Voorzitter, ik heb gesproken. :p

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Bantam Man said:
:eek:fftopic: We need some kind of European Union facility on this forum, translating all that is said automatically to the mother tongue of the reading forum member. :eusa_doh: And the other way around. Minority language, or not. Voorzitter, ik heb gesproken. :p

Here is a Babelfish translation: Triumph fesch out with Diem neichan huat! Smart eyelid!

Hm, the original Text is Bavarian dialect. My English is not as good as to distinct the dialect the original text ended up being translated into. It seems pretty idiomatic, though. Maybe, some native speakers can help :eusa_doh: :D :D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Hankachif Felt

3792887698_3a875f24af_b.jpg

3792887446_54e588a8e1_b.jpg

3792073993_1db8a80c39.jpg
3792023837_dea3571dd6.jpg

3792837370_bb02c0495a.jpg
3792888140_e1563258ef.jpg

3792024695_cf29470cfb.jpg
3783195869_7b1d4d4348.jpg

3792179181_b10cf69fc9.jpg

The hat weighs exactly 3 oz. Very soft and resilient but not as thin as a Borsalino Alessandria. Very firm reed so not rollable unless there's a special method. The sweatband is very soft thin leather wrapped with satin. Really LONG oval(8-1/8 x 6). 2-1/2" Brim with short thin overwelt which gives the impression of a Cavanagh edge. No condition problems at all, just dust.
Anyone have a New Yorker Subscription? Some mention of the hat in 1934 mag.:

The New Yorker Digital Reader : Jun 02, 1934
I The Dobbs is called the Hankachif ' . Felt, and it's quite smart. Most light- weight hats look like nightcaps after you've crushed them up once, ...
archives.newyorker.com/default.aspx?iid=17916&startpage... - Similar

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Tan Lightweight

3798860630_c2c91f9850_b.jpg

3798042431_b2925eb6d4.jpg
3798042837_b88a1c15e2.jpg

3798861130_182fc74881.jpg
3798043435_3283008405.jpg
3798110657_c1d9f79f42_o.jpg
3798861726_02c467039a.jpg
2-5/8" brim with small stitched overwelt. Very light and soft finely finished felt. If it had a lining the traces are gone. The 2" wide sweatband is unreeded and thin and soft like dress glove leather. 8"x6-1/2" oval, so slightly undersized which fits fine for me. Originally from Malmstedt's, Minneapolis.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Dobbs I aquired from Circa in New Bedford, Mass. No Liner. The sweat reads M.C. Swift & Son, New Bedford. No nibbles but the ribbon has some white splotches all over.
IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
J.J. Gittes said:
Dobbs I aquired from Circa in New Bedford, Mass. No Liner. The sweat reads M.C. Swift & Son, New Bedford. No nibbles but the ribbon has some white splotches all over.
IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg
Wow, that's a nice hat!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1950's Canadian Dobbs Twenty - Madison Avenue

Plush black '50s? Canadian-made Dobbs. This hat is too big for me, but the quality/feel was too intriguing to pass up - very thick, plush long-hair felt, and a good chance it will end up being my dark winter hat next year.

I'm guessing it's a mid to late '50s hat, but interested in hearing from anyone else who's had one.

• Guild Edge (Cavanagh edge)
  • dark brown sweatband
  • 2" brim, 5.5" crown
  • oilskin liner

Dobbs20Side.jpg

Dobbs20Front.jpg

Dobbs20Liner.jpg

Dobbs20Sweat.jpg

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I posted this a while ago on another thread, but it is an interesting hat so I thought it would be a good idea to document it here. Like RLK's hat above, it has a fabric wrapped sweat. The felt is very light and feel suede like. The writing on the fabric sweat cover has faded considerably, but it does say Dobbs 20 and also that it should have a Guild edge. Sadly it doesn't so it was probably trimmed during the narrow brimmed 60s so that now it is 2 3/8". But it has a tall crown which I estimate at 6" so the hat actually looks great. The proportions are like a 1920s to early 1930s hat. Here are the pics:

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Kaosharper 1's Dobbs

kaosharper1 said:
I posted this a while ago on another thread, but it is an interesting hat so I thought it would be a good idea to document it here. Like RLK's hat above, it has a fabric wrapped sweat. The felt is very light and feel suede like. The writing on the fabric sweat cover has faded considerably, but it does say Dobbs 20 and also that it should have a Guild edge. Sadly it doesn't so it was probably trimmed during the narrow brimmed 60s so that now it is 2 3/8". But it has a tall crown which I estimate at 6" so the hat actually looks great. The proportions are like a 1920s to early 1930s hat.

I love it, kaosharper. Absolutely love it, it's a stunning hat. Nothing more to say.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Any thoughts on the Dobbs Twenty would be much appreciated - looking around, I'm not seeing any of these in the lounge, so guessing that aren't too common, but I don't know. It's a little big, but I've decided to keep it anyway. Just tore off the ugly oilskin liner cover to reveal the following. Also, it's a 'Madison Avenue' model:

Dobbs20LinerDtl.jpg

Dobbs20SweatDtl.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, there might be more Dobbs Twenties around than you think. They're not all that uncommon.

I don't know much about the Canadian versions, but it's late '40s into the '50s (1944 onward). Dobbs used oilskin in the '40s, and I think I have evidence at home that they used it in the late '30s as well (I'm at work now). The bad thing about them is that they do obscure the nice liner tips.

The logo is one that doesn't come up too often, and I haven't pinpointed any dates on it. It may be mostly for Canadian use.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Well, there might be more Dobbs Twenties around than you think. They're not all that uncommon.

I don't know much about the Canadian versions, but it's late '40s into the '50s (1944 onward). Dobbs used oilskin in the '40s, and I think I have evidence at home that they used it in the late '30s as well (I'm at work now). The bad thing about them is that they do obscure the nice liner tips.

The logo is one that doesn't come up too often, and I haven't pinpointed any dates on it. It may be mostly for Canadian use.

Brad

Thanks Brad - I've seen some Dobbs Twenty's, so I knew that they aren't rare, but I hadn't seen any long-hair ones, or any Dobbs of this quality. But I have really been confused about dating Dobbs hats, so this info is especially useful - very much appreciated!

Thanks for the dating info.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is it about the Dobbs Handover Square

HarpPlayerGene said:
Hanover Square moss green:

DSC_0002.jpg
Gene
Looking over the Dobbs thread I notice your own four Handover Square Dobbs. I like the look of the hat, and then you do have an eye for good-looking hats. Any thing your might add to describe the handover square like the general quality compared to the 15 to 100 Dobbs series or the dates it was being marketed. One of my first hat purchases was a Dobbs fifteen in size 7 1/8 before I realized I was a size 7 1/4. That was one hat that I was unable to stretch so I recently sold in on ebay and I am in the hunt for a replace Dobbs in size 7 ¼ preferable the light Dobbs gray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points