Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:
Gene
Looking over the Dobbs thread I notice your own four Handover Square Dobbs. I like the look of the hat, and then you do have an eye for good-looking hats. Any thing your might add to describe the handover square like the general quality compared to the 15 to 100 Dobbs series or the dates it was being marketed. One of my first hat purchases was a Dobbs fifteen in size 7 1/8 before I realized I was a size 7 1/4. That was one hat that I was unable to stretch so I recently sold in on ebay and I am in the hunt for a replace Dobbs in size 7 ¼ preferable the light Dobbs gray

Hey, jon.
The Dobbs Hanover Square is a Whippet in most all but name. Good, not fantastic, felt. Not quite as soft as a real Whippet. Substantial. Products of the '50s or later. The only two significant differences between these and the Whippets they were marketed against are; 1) The flanging on the brim of the Hanovers is a little too bowl-like (either that or the edge binding is tight) causing a slight droop, and 2) the Hanovers can usually be purchased for a lot less than the Whippets. ;)

billysmom

One Too Many
Dobbs from Davenport

Here's the Dobbs back bow that I won on eBay last week:

Dobbsfront.jpg

Dobbsback2.jpg

Dobbsliner.jpg

Dobbsface.jpg

Dobbsback.jpg
The store on the sweatband, Simon and Landauer, closed in 1964.

I really like the effect of the back bow! Sue

billysmom

One Too Many
Thanks, mayserwegener. It was billed as a Homburg, but as there's no edge binding and the brim-up position looks strange to me, I snapped it down and like it that way. Lovely felt.

Sue

billysmom said:
Thanks, mayserwegener. It was billed as a Homburg, but as there's no edge binding and the brim-up position looks strange to me, I snapped it down and like it that way. Lovely felt.

Sue

You are right it surely isn't a Homburg. Maybe they were confused because of the lack of side dents. The fedora in my avatar pic has that same element. Again great hat!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Milan Porkpie w/Silk Pug

3922420784_5ea617df2d_b.jpg
3921638339_2d1a585898.jpg
3921638557_9a3b2022d7.jpg
3921638915_e9c8d86dd4_b.jpg

3921665993_922234f8ea.jpg
3922448928_1c91ee17c1.jpg

Charcoal Gray with 2-5/8" Brim and 4-1/4" Crown. Near perfect. Raw Natural Silk Pug. Actually fits!

jpbales

Practically Family
My first few Dobbs hats...

I haven't posted to the Dobbs Diner before, but I've recently aquired 2 Dobbs.

The first was my grandfathers (which I've posted in other threads). It's in perfect condition but doesn't have a model name [huh]

DSC02392.jpg

The second was a Dobbs Westward, but I've converted it:
Original:
Westward1.jpg

Now:
FrontAngle2.jpg

I kept the original lining and used a piece of the original ribbon to create the bow on the inside. I had to replace the sweat because it wasn't big enough for my melon:
lining-1.jpg

oh yeah, I made a tag too lol

jpbales

Practically Family
one last thing

The Dobbs Westward's lining has the little "silk screen" (I'm not exactly sure what it's called) covering the Dobbs logo, and I was wondering if anyone knows a) what it's called b) the time period when it was used c) what it's purpose is
Thanks!

buler

I'll Lock Up
A stingy Dobbs...

Ok, maybe not so stingy. Here is a thin ribbon Dobbs Twenty-Five with a 3 1/8" brim. The crown is so soft, yet moldable. Its a 7 1/4 with a very supple leather sweat. Retailer mark is Pruietts from Taft, California. There is a 7 1/4 stamp under the sweat along with a "184N" stamped on the sweat and the liner.

B

dobbs_twenty_five_1.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_2.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_3.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_4.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_5.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_6.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_7.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_8.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
...Here is a thin ribbon Dobbs Twenty-Five with a 3 1/8" brim. The crown is so soft, yet moldable. Its a 7 1/4 with a very supple leather sweat. ...

I just almost choked on my beverage! :eek:

babs

A-List Customer
Thanks.. Just googling, looks like the series was fairly recently discontinued with a model called the "Jet", which appears to be a trilby, with a "golden coach" type of fur felt.. So at least a good bet I guess is this OR clone will be fur. We shall see with my little $40 bet. :)

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won a Dobbs 40 Thin ribbon last week on the bay. The hat arrived Monday and I was taken back with the quality of the hat and pristine condition. I diffidently put this hat above my 7X clear beavers and think it can stand along side my Stetson 100s. Only issue is the Dobbs is sized 7 3/8 and I am 7 ¼ long oval. While the hat is sung front and back there is a noticeable gap between the side of the hat and my head. I am using a blotter reducer I found inside a aother hat I purchased. I hope I can adjust to the size. The brim is 2 7/8 and the crown 5" as creased and I love the crease in the hat
IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

profile.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:
I won a Dobbs 40 Thin ribbon last week on the bay. The hat arrived Monday and I was taken back with the quality of the hat and pristine condition. I diffidently put this hat above my 7X clear beavers and think it can stand along side my Stetson 100s. Only issue is the Dobbs is sized 7 3/8 and I am 7 ¼ long oval. While the hat is sung front and back there is a noticeable gap between the side of the hat and my head. I am using a blotter reducer I found inside a aother hat I purchased. I hope I can adjust to the size. The brim is 2 7/8 and the crown 5" as creased and I love the crease in the hat
IMG_0988.jpg

Looks good on you Jon! :eusa_clap

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy