Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

My Homburg showed up the other day...It turned out to be a 7 1/8 Long Oval so its not a perfect fit but its in beatiful condition. Can any of you estimate the age from the tags?

WsUz5iW.jpg

QyzbBJj.jpg

Nx8rYkg.jpg

w7GMWqK.jpg

iBjAg2J.jpg

JnVOi9n.jpg

QWjOEfK.jpg

wmoML25.jpg
Beautiful

My Homburg showed up the other day...It turned out to be a 7 1/8 Long Oval so its not a perfect fit but its in beatiful condition. Can any of you estimate the age from the tags?

WsUz5iW.jpg

QyzbBJj.jpg

Nx8rYkg.jpg

w7GMWqK.jpg

iBjAg2J.jpg

JnVOi9n.jpg

QWjOEfK.jpg

wmoML25.jpg

Brad wrote that the style of size tag on your hat was first used in the early 1950s. The Dobbs Golden Coach debossing in gold also is also indicative of 1950s.

https://www.thehattedprofessor.com/datedobbspart2.html

That's what confused me too...I knew the reorder tag looked much older...

Such are the mysteries in attempting to date hats. If it were just a few years, I'd think maybe they still had some of the older tags left, but we're talking over a decade.

"Hey, Henry, I found the old factory tags in the back. Let's use them up!"

2020 Hat collector: "WTF?"

I'd lean towards Brent's assessment given the Golden Coach logos.

I've shown this one many times and probably will again many times cause it's still one of my favs. Dobbs Toledo, with my sweety. Purchased new 15 years ago at Shankerman's Men's Store, Clarksdale, MS.

Uh that would be the hat purchased, not my sweety.

View attachment 278976

I always joke I got my wife at the department store we worked at. I tell her I kept the receipt, so...

So there's a Dobbs Dayton, and a Dobbs Toledo. Maybe they're working their way through Ohio cities.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
I always joke I got my wife at the department store we worked at. I tell her I kept the receipt, so...

So there's a Dobbs Dayton, and a Dobbs Toledo. Maybe they're working their way through Ohio cities.

Yes, all us obnoxious Dobbs peoples know there is a milan straw TOLEDO. :D Also I think, but not for sure, the Toledo comes only in two tone, brim & crown. I only own the ivory/olive combo, but have been considering the ivory/royal. whoohoo! :cool:

Dotneck

One of the Regulars
Came across another Dobbs 20. This one was styled as a black Pork Pie. Interesting hat band...it looks like the bands on the Gay Prince. I believe this one is from the 50s. Nice soft felt...the seller said it was in mint condition but the sweatband needs some repair to the stitching. Other than that its in very good condition. I took a chance on it...I wear a 7 1/8 and its a 7 1/4. Bu I have another Dobbs 20 from that era that is a 7 1/8 and its a bit tight. This one fits perfectly. I'm used to a bigger brim so this will take some getting used to but so far I'm liking it.

05WMf7d.jpg

uf9Tiqr.jpg

wwRM4PQ.jpg

DohKGoj.jpg

TFEoSDw.jpg

Rh5NTz6.jpg

CFxr3l5.jpg

40JDe72.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Here’s a Dobbs I picked up today! I think it’s 1930’s. If anyone knows any specs about this hat I’d love the info!! Thanks again Gents!
Here’s a Dobbs I picked up today! I think it’s 1930’s. If anyone knows any specs about this hat I’d love the info!! Thanks again Gents!
Welcome to the lounge Frank.
This is one of the nicest color combinations i’ve seen on a Dobbs.
Stellar hat.
Not sure about the 30’s but 40-50s would probably be a safe guess.
B

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
From the paper label I would guess 50s or late 40s at the earliest. It's the same style as the one in my Hanover Square, which I believe I determined to be from the 50s. And a different style from my Sixteen-fifty that I determined to be from the early to mid 1940s.

Very nice looking hat.

Michael

Frank Boskovich

New in Town
From the paper label I would guess 50s or late 40s at the earliest. It's the same style as the one in my Hanover Square, which I believe I determined to be from the 50s. And a different style from my Sixteen-fifty that I determined to be from the early to mid 1940s.

Very nice looking hat.

Michael
Thank you so much!! I’m definitely a Dobb’s fan now!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy