Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Eagle Pub Cambridge England

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Here is a link describing the The Eagle Pub in Cambridge England. I visited the pub while stationed in England back in the mid 90's. The pub has hundreds of signatures/stories burned into the wood ceilings and walls, from cigars, cigarettes, matches, lighters etc. These are from allied service members. There are mission dates, bomber names, "I was here " kinda thing. An awesome piece of living history. Just to sit there and read the walls and ceilings.......

I was sitting along the river bank in Cambridge, while waiting for a bus to take me to Duxford, and I heard a very sweet sound. The sound of a P-47 flying around playing. Was it Blood and Guts from the Duxford collection? I think it was. Sitting there in the sun and watching the P-47, thinking, was it like this in 1943.... I know the answer is no, we where at war, enough said there. Maybe oneday I will tell you guys what I heard at 0100 hrs on the Mildenhall flightline.
http://www.pocketcambridge.co.uk/pcafiles/eagle.html

number6

Familiar Face
Cambridge

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Cambridge and 'The Eagle'. It is a great bit of WW2 history for sure.
That particular P47 has now gone back Stateside , the owner got an earlier razor back model in bits and this is now being rebuilt at Duxford , I don't know when it is due to fly again.

Paul.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Good post, PF. The Eagle's changed a lot over the years. Much of the refurbishment, which has doubled the size of the place, has in my view negatively affected the ambience. But that's nostalgia.

Phantomfixer said:
Maybe oneday I will tell you guys what I heard at 0100 hrs on the Mildenhall flightline.
http://www.pocketcambridge.co.uk/pcafiles/eagle.html

A lot of things are heard and sometimes seen around Mildenhall and Lakenheath...

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hey guys,

Sounds like you two get a chance to visit the ol pub once in awhile. Maybe one day I can catch a hop and see the sites again. I guess I wouldn't mind the expansion as long as the original walls were left untouched. I do remember The Eagle being on a back street kind of tucked away. I only found it by chance, and was glad I went in. Bury St. Edmunds was right down the road from Mildenhall but never made it there, wish that wasn't the case. Duxford was great. Even found out why there is only 3 hangers instead of the 4 built. Anyone care to guess, anyone not local that is :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes the Eagle is an iconic pub for sure and I hope the wartime signatures will be preserved.

As to the missing hanger at Duxford its destruction has been preserved for all time in the Battle of Britain film! ;)

sixties.nut

Why Three Hangers at Duxford ?

Phantomfixer said:
Even found out why there is only 3 hangers instead of the 4 built. Anyone care to guess, anyone not local that is :)

I reckon the Germans hit one, the dirty rotten basterds !!!

Tell us your story Phantom, today IS oneday.lol

Maybe oneday I will tell you guys what I heard at 0100 hrs on the Mildenhall flightline

Oh that was at Mildenhall, well then at 0100hrs that would have been the controller snoring !!!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Andrew got it. Blown up during the filming of The Battle of Britain. Great movie. The missing hanger actually stands out. There are a row of hangers in a line X X X. The missing one sticks out or at least the empty space. Great Museum you have over there too, and yes I really enjoyed my time over there. Missed going to the big Airshow at Duxford by a week or two. That was in 1995 or 1996. Yeah not much activity on the flightline at that hour. You really could hear the controller snoring.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've been to the Eagle on some of my visits to the UK (I usually stay in Cambridge when I visit), and it definitely is a "must see" for those interested in WWII history. While looking at the names burned into the ceiling I was able to find a number of very familiar names.
Another good place to visit is Checquers in nearby Fowlmere. This was frequented by pilots from 19 Sqn (RAF) and 339th FG (USAAF) during the war.

stillwell

New in Town
My father went there about two years ago when American Airlines used to do flights to Standstead

he said it is a tiny little place and has a crapload of history

I can't wait to go myself

PS, Phantomfixer, My father did rotations to RAF Mildenhall a number of times flying Herks with the 40th TAS

does anyone know of any other WWII bars still in existence?

Marv

A-List Customer
Frequented the Eagle a number of times when visiting Cambridge mainly when I am down for an airshow at Duxford.
The last time was the September airshow last year (2009), I was with the wife and my 5 month old daughter (at the time) who really enjoyed the airshow which I was really surprised by and really pleased by, so hopefully will make a couple this year.
I would like the flying legends and Battle of Britain shows but the wife likes an all round bag and not just war birds so a compromise will be on the cards I think.

Always a visit to the ELC tent, no compromise on that one I'm afraid ;)

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Does ELC have a large show/display? It would be great to be able to see, touch and feel a product usually found through mail order and all the hassles that brings. Might make a trip across the pond worth while and hit the Eagle again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR