Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

WOW! If a guy carries a briefcase, even a soft style one it doesn't raise an eyebrow, But put a shoulder strap on it and suddenly it's girly. If you put two straps on it and make it a backpack it's not girly.

Is a messenger bag girly or a map case girly?

I don't carry such a case but many guys have a laptop they are using for work that they need to haul around and the strap seems to make it a lot easier to negotiate various transit systems, the streets, crowded hallways, and elevators. Seems odd that the strap is so objectionable. My carry-on bag has a strap like that and it is very helpful in traveling thru the airport or that big hotel lobby and it doesn't scream girly. OR does it? :eek: !!! Hmmmmmm.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Manly alternatives...(?)

Fair Play to call me on this one, so...

A vintage styled heavy duty "manly looking' brief case, that a real man has the nerve and bottle to hold in his strong, firm grip (the sort of grip that can easily hold a Winchester or Lee Enfield in one hand or firmly shake the hand of a native chieftan in deepest darkest continents!). No mamby pamby stuff here gents!

Or a good leather/canvas military style 'crash pack' (like a day sac) slung easily over the shoulder is the closest I'd get to this...."thing' See, I can't even bring myself to say it now!! The sort of thing you can jump out of your dug-out canoe with, or from your downed aircraft and be ready to operate 'on your own' if necessary. As important in the manly world of business in Manhatten or City of London as it is in a war zone.

'MPs' are girly..bottom line. Where exactly do they send out the signal of being 'manly..?' (maybe I've missed it somewhere?)

But an 'MP' (well at least that sounds 'more' manly even!) just doesn't cut the mustard, if you want to be taken seriously as a MAN.

Ask yourself...do you want to be an Empire builder, a man's man, the sort of person who is comfortable in the company of men and heroes, the company of Jack Daniels or Bushmills ...or...just happy to sit by the fire with your 'MP' knitting and drinking a glass of sweet sherry or pink champagne?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy, My Dear Paddy, the object does not make the man; the man makes the object. ;)

I carry a bag. It holds all my essentials, closing packages, files, all the tools of capitalism. I've never once been questioned on it, nor would I expect to; nearly everyone else in my profession carries one as well.

I have never even considered the associations you have put on these things.
[huh]

Edward

Bartender
Given some of the thins I've sported in public (let's just say I'm an experienced Dr Frank'n'Furter and leave it at that ;) ), a manbag is the last thing that would be of concern if I was to suddenly care about looking girly. lol I imagine a lot depends on how much stuff you feel the need to carry around.... if you don't need much more than a wallet, a bag is largely an inconvenience. Never one to travel light (at any one time I'm likely to have a book, newspaper, camera, mobile, and quite possibly half a dozen other things about my person), I appreciate having a bag with me - whether briefcase, or something that fulfills that role in a more casual environment. I'm certainly one to prefer something that comes with a shoulder strap, leaving both hands free. It's especially a bonus at airports, when I can transfer as much as possible out of my pockets and into the bag, saving an awful lot of hassle when passing through security.

Big fan of the look of that WW2 briefcase above - I'm currently looking into something virtually identical, save for the presence of a shoulder strap. :)

I take a bus to the train then walk a few blocks to get to the office. This bag carries my breakfast, lunch, check book, mail, magazine, iPod, etc. in addition to laptop & all that stuff. Briefcase style is too bulky for all that movement...
resizeimage.jpg

resizeimage2.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Big fan of the look of that WW2 briefcase above - I'm currently looking into something virtually identical, save for the presence of a shoulder strap. :)

It actually came with a shoulder strap and D-rings on the sides to clip it to, but I don't wear it. I've been wearing over-the-shoulder messenger bags for so long now, I'm ready to stop feeling like a school boy (I graduate law school on Saturday).

Besides, the shoulder strap ruins the lines of my coat.

-Dave

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
David Conwill said:
And, shoulder straps can be deleterious to certain fabrics as well. I've had the shoulders of a camel hair coat go threadbare.:(

carter

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Fair Play to call me on this one, so...

A vintage styled heavy duty "manly looking' brief case, that a real man has the nerve and bottle to hold in his strong, firm grip (the sort of grip that can easily hold a Winchester or Lee Enfield in one hand or firmly shake the hand of a native chieftan in deepest darkest continents!). No mamby pamby stuff here gents!

Or a good leather/canvas military style 'crash pack' (like a day sac) slung easily over the shoulder is the closest I'd get to this...."thing' See, I can't even bring myself to say it now!! The sort of thing you can jump out of your dug-out canoe with, or from your downed aircraft and be ready to operate 'on your own' if necessary. As important in the manly world of business in Manhatten or City of London as it is in a war zone.

'MPs' are girly..bottom line. Where exactly do they send out the signal of being 'manly..?' (maybe I've missed it somewhere?)

But an 'MP' (well at least that sounds 'more' manly even!) just doesn't cut the mustard, if you want to be taken seriously as a MAN.

Ask yourself...do you want to be an Empire builder, a man's man, the sort of person who is comfortable in the company of men and heroes, the company of Jack Daniels or Bushmills ...or...just happy to sit by the fire with your 'MP' knitting and drinking a glass of sweet sherry or pink champagne?
Ah,Paddy, you bring a tear to my eye. You are a man among men. A master of the verbal riposte. A sartorial luddite. You make me proud. I raise my glass in awe!

Edward

Bartender
David Conwill said:
It actually came with a shoulder strap and D-rings on the sides to clip it to, but I don't wear it. I've been wearing over-the-shoulder messenger bags for so long now, I'm ready to stop feeling like a school boy (I graduate law school on Saturday).

-Dave

They come with the strap, eh? Hmmnn.... Where might one purchase one of these - and at what price? I've been looking at an alternative (which might still be more realistic, given shipping/ customs/ strong dollar), but I'd certainly consider one of those.

It's a pity (unless my memory is entirely faulty) we never saw Dr. Jones carrying a bag in his academic environs... I'd have loved to have seen whether he stuck with Old Faithful, or whether he had a respectable briefcase for the office..... and whether he wore that briefcase on a strap. lol

DerMann

Practically Family
Meh, shoulder straps destroy the shoulders on jackets.

That's why, when I bought my laptop, I also purchased an oxblood attache case, complete with brass locks. Not only does it securely house my 17" laptop, power cable, mouse, various cables, and even CDs, it goes well with my brogues.

Otherwise, I'll carry only as much as my pockets can hold without looking ridiculous.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I concur with Paddy that a man should not carry bag for his every day leisure. For that, a wallet and a pocket book should suffice. A man should be able to carry his 'everyday' necessities in his pockets, I think.

In my view, bags may be for work (brief cases for lawyers, tool bags for plumbers, etc.) of for adventure. In the former case, as work has taken over men's lives (or made them slaves, depending on your view) and as the nature of work has changed, the boundary between 'work' and 'everyday' has become blurred. Personally I seek to oppose this at every step. So, no mobile 'phone or laptop for me. My place of work doesn't even know my home 'phone number and never will.

Now, to adventure. In this regard, I believe that a man should have two types of luggage, a small adventure bag and a large adventure bag. The former should be ready packed as far as possible to be available at short notice. In my case the bag of choice would be a Mark VI or MarkVII respirator case (by Waring and Gillow, of course) depending on the adventure at hand. For me a small adventure would be a visit to pay my respects to the 'Red Lady' of Paviland or to study the tracings in the crypt of Rosslyn Chapel.

For a large adventure some careful planning and packing will be required, maybe to the Ghorka Valley to meet a nonogenarian VC holder or to follow in the footsteps of Frank Hayter to Axxum and Lalibela and beyond. For such an adventure my 'bag of choice' would be a 1930s Bergan (sic).

Needless to say, one should never drive on an adventure of any sort. And (this is my personal opinion) if I began to worry about whether the shoulder strap (single or double) of an adventure bag was wearing out my clothing, I would shoot myself...

Edward

Bartender
Well, I ain't giving up my man-bag for anyone's ideas of "manliness".... lol

A shoulder strap may rub on clothing, I agree, but clothing gets worn out - that's its nature. Ultimately, clothes, the odd really special piece aside, are there to be worn, not treated with such extreme revereence as you're afraid to wear them. I'm not reckless with my cltohes by any means, but at thed end of the day if I felt that concern about a particular piece was significantly hampering its usefulness to me, I expect I would eject it from my wardrobe sharply.

H.Johnson said:
Needless to say, one should never drive on an adventure of any sort.

Quite. I myself find public transport here in London to be wholly adequate for those distances outside what may be practically covered on foot.

And (this is my personal opinion) if I began to worry about whether the shoulder strap (single or double) of an adventure bag was wearing out my clothing, I would shoot myself...

lol

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
They come with the strap, eh? Hmmnn.... Where might one purchase one of these - and at what price? I've been looking at an alternative (which might still be more realistic, given shipping/ customs/ strong dollar), but I'd certainly consider one of those.

http://www.customhide.com/custom_1945_US_Army_briefcase.html

$299.00 US. Be forewarned, however, they take a while to get there. Still, it was worth the wait in my opinion.

-Dave

celtic

A-List Customer
true men don't sit around and worry about whether or not others view them as manly.

they get things done.

and if in doing so they need more room to carry tools to aid in getting things done, so be it.

;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
Thanks. :) But.... ouch - the strong Dollar really does hitg home when I look at the prices of this sort of item online!
Quit whining! You've had years to stock up.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW