Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
O.K., this is JUST MY OPINION, but if you have WD-40 and Super Glue in it, IT AIN'T A PURSE. Maybe some ammunition or a hammer would help.

This is also a good point. [huh]

Get a messenger bag.

At least for me, messenger bags never have enough special compartments or pouches to keep all my little things organized. Were I to have to dig around for all that crap every time I needed something, it would become a purse.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
:D Just found the thread - hah! I have always been carrying a "man pur.... aaahh, no - that sounds so ..... err, ok let´s stay PC. It doesn´t sound right to me so I just call it a bag. I went through several of them including messenger bags but the recent one is a Billingham http://www.billingham.co.uk/pages/index.php because I carry a camera all the time. But even without a cam, how can a man leave the house without a bag? Stuffing your pockets makes your trousers look weird... [huh]

Frank

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you, Frank. Although I don't use it a whole lot, my man bag is a Billingham Hadley Bag.

I use it if I need to carry a camera body and just a couple of lenses and also stuff my toiletries, and a change of clothes in it for overnight trips.

Normally though, I don't need a bag. My iPhone has replaced my laptop for 90% of the time so all I have is my phone and my keys.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You mean something that looks like one of those clutch bag women sometimes carry - the ones that have neither handles nor strap, so her stuff is all in one place, but she has to have it in her hand all the time? I've also seen them with a small, slim wristlet (like you see on, say, a small compact camera). In Europe, they're most commonly associated with a certain stereotype of over-groomed, effete Italian male - typically by those sort of folks who regard the "meterosexual" as worthy of scorn, and view the Italian incarnation of the same as especially so. Me, well.... they're not my, eh, bag as it were, but fair play to anyone who likes them and for whom they work. I'm a bi believer in doing your own thing and not caring what others think, or I wouldn't be round these parts... ;) I also reserve a special kind of contempt for those obsessed with everything they (and others) do being sufficiently "manly". They tend to be rather boorish people, on the whole.
Hear hear Edward! The old saying about judging a book by it's cover comes to mind. I know I don't look like some one who has ever done any thing the least bit death defying in my life! So men should carry what makes them comfortable, that goes for dress also! Below is my mans purse. I got it for free, just had to test ride a Buell, can't beat that. And no one has questioned my man hood while riding one of my motorcycles with my Buell purse around my shoulder!
IMG_3483.jpg

Gene

Practically Family
My WWII Navigator's briefcase holds my laptop and a couple of books nicely. When I need something with a strap, I use a WWII Mussette bag. I doubt there's anything "purse" about either.

IMG_1359.jpg

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Hear hear Edward! The old saying about judging a book by it's cover comes to mind. I know I don't look like some one who has ever done any thing the least bit death defying in my life! So men should carry what makes them comfortable, that goes for dress also! Below is my mans purse. I got it for free, just had to test ride a Buell, can't beat that. And no one has questioned my man hood while riding one of my motorcycles with my Buell purse around my shoulder!
IMG_3483.jpg

Aah, I like that messenger bag! Riding a Buell M2 Cyclone myself I have of course a soft spot for anything Buell. :)

Frank

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Posted these in another thread about bags and such, but thought I'd post em here for a bit more exposure. Picked this beauty up while soujourning in a faraway land. It's a former Soviet officer's map case in leather, made in 1972. Manly enough? I think so. It's currently holding a tin of Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend tobacco, a pipe made locally, pipe tool and pipe cleaners, with plenty of room to spare.
dscn0118s.jpg

Inside view:
dscn0122sw.jpg

I think I'll give it a once over with some brown shoe polish. Always worked for my sporran in my army days.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Messenger Bag / Satchel

Good evening!

This might not be the correct forum department for my question (which is it?), but nevertheless:

I am searching for an (old fashioned but new) satchel-like messenger bag. Leather and preferable U.K.-made.

Which online-stores can you recommend, gentlemen?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Johannes

Edward

Bartender
This your sort of thing?

http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/shop/collections/the-classic

classic.jpg

Quite a few options available in a range of colours. http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/shop/collections/all?gclid=CJ3f1In-h7ACFUdItAod1HvTLQ

You'll find any number of them on eBay often cheaper, though I don't know if they're all manufactured in the UK. I have one of the classic satchel type in black, and plan to buy a brown one sometime soon. Great bag. I love that it has real buckles, not some clip hat looks like a buckle (yes, faster and easier access - for both me and the pickpockets on Oxford Street ;) ).

The main compartment is a single thing, no nooks, crannies or pockets other than the visible front one, so depends what you want, really - I find it ideal for a small netbook, a couple of books, a tablet or whatever others bits I'm carrying around.

jksu

Familiar Face
Good evening!

This might not be the correct forum department for my question (which is it?), but nevertheless:

I am searching for an (old fashioned but new) satchel-like messenger bag. Leather and preferable U.K.-made.

Which online-stores can you recommend, gentlemen?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Johannes

here's a couple from a canadian company...

http://usa.roots.com/ModernSatchelT...ags//18050252,default,pd.html?navid=xsellYMAL
http://usa.roots.com/NewMilanoBaginTribeLeather/leatherBags//18050118,default,pd.html?navid=xsellMen
http://usa.roots.com/RaidersBagInVi...ags//18050164,default,pd.html?navid=xsellYMAL

and one from an american company, the first more tech oriented/lightweight (my wife has a muzetto as her daily bag/purse)... the 2nd is a more old fashioned, heavy construction

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Satchel?sc=8&category=1288

i'm leaning towards one of the roots bags myself...

Graemsay

Practically Family
What's your budget?

The Merchant Fox sell the Avon Post Bag (£660) and Dart Messenger Case (£980).

Margaret Howell sells a gorgeous postal satchel, which is £650.

I'd like any of the above. I haven't seen the Merchant Fox bags, but I've been lusting after the Margert Howell bag for months now. Unfortunately they never put it into their sale. :(

Ally Capellino's range is a bit cheaper. Somewhere between £200 and £300 for a canvas or leather and canvas satchel, and £400 to £500 for a leather one. They're not as nicely crafted as the above.

Bill Amberg had some nice leather satchels in his last collection. If you're on a budget then keep an eye on the clearance section. There are often real bargains to be had.

There's not much in the way of satchels in the current collection. The Transit Messenger (£180) is an unstructured modern style, whereas the Tote Soft Classic (£780) is more unique.

Jas MB have a range of leather bags, starting at around £300. I like their camouflage Move On Large, but that's probably larger than you're looking for.

Henry Tomkins sells a range of leather satchels. Prices are circa £100 to £150, depending on size and features. They can be customised to an extent.

Outside the UK, you might want to look at Ruitertassen. They're widely available in the Benelux region, but I don't know who sells them online or in Austria.

Also, take a look at the Last Bag. They're priced between about €450 and €550, depending on size.

Lastly, keep an eye on Suzie Floozie. They stock vintage bags, and frequently have secondhand, pre-distressed satchels in stock.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I got one of these of a chap I know who occassionaly gets M&S seconds although I can't find a fault and at £20 it was a steal, even at the full price of £39 it's not exactly dear, canvas is quite thick and it's well constructed, downside is the trimmings are'nt leather though they are quite convincing, you could even get them replaced with leather and still save a packet on 'designer' ones!
http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pure...031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

Last edited:

dajiggalo

New in Town
wow! This is one thourogh selection list. I've been thorough a couple myself and I currently own two Saddleback Leather items, which I use daily... pretty heavy duty (and pricey) but they can take a beating.

Graemsay

Practically Family
From my list, the following would swallow a Macbook Pro 17":
  • Margaret Howell Postal Satchel. (The link in my post doesn't take you to the item description. Scroll down.)
  • Bill Amberg Soft Tote.
  • Piet Breinholm Last Bag.
If you want a laptop bag then take a look at Hard Graft. I've got an older version of the 2Unfold, which can take a 17" laptop. My version is leather and canvas, but the new ones have an all leather body, with felt lining, and look nicer.

billyb

Familiar Face
Check out this link.

http://www.emilerwin.com/

True benchtop, handcrafted satchels and such made from the best materials to include Horween leather. I really dig these kinds of artisans and their handycraft. If I start to travel a lot for work again in the future, I plan to make a purchase from this guy, assuming he doesn't get so popular it is a year long wait. I love his guarantee...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy