Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The extra time you spend getting ready because you wear vintage.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I find vintage to be quicker too! Though I never really did the whole "normal" thing, and I started dressing vintage at 17, I found my more modern look to be a bigger hassle, mainly because my hair required more maintenance and morning styling. Now, like many others I set my hair at night, and only every 3-4 days at that. In the morning I take out the rollers, fluff out the curls, roll up my bangs, and I'm good to go. My make-up routine also only takes 10 minutes, and this includes eyebrow pencil, cats eyes, powder, and lipstick. Outfits take no time at all, especially when you get good with garters. :)

Lenore

Practically Family
I find, that if I'm well organized, and have all my stuff together and have done my prep - nighttime set? check! shaved legs? check! all my clothes picked out? check! - theoretically I could be out of the house in 30 minutes if I didn't get my monkey up and ready. As it is, makeup goes on once I get to work (It's my quiet time before all my people get there) and I'm ready to wake her up in 15 minutes. That's hair done, clothes (and underclothes) on, and teeth brushed. Ready to morph into super mom-unyielding to pleas of 5 more minutes!

Last edited:

Isis

One of the Regulars
It's funny, I was just talking to my mom about this today.... I said I had to get off the phone for a minute to do my hair and called her back 5 minutes later. She was amazed because she knows I curl it everyday. I told her I only had to brush it out and she wanted to know if it would be easier to wear it like I did before lol..... blow drying and straightening it took 3 times as long.... she still thinks I'm lying :rolleyes: , but it's true. Make-up is the same, about 10 minutes. As far as clothes, it takes the same time no matter what I wear, because I pick it out the day before [huh] All in all it takes me about 30-40 minutes no matter what and that includes a shower.

I agree. I pick out my clothes the night before and I usually clock 50 minutes, but then I throw in a cup of tea and a sandwich too. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The actual act of dressing in the morning is the same if I wear jeans or one of my vintage dresses. I don't wear stockings or heels -- I'm more of a white socks and flat shoes kind of gal.

The only extra time I take is at night when I set my hair. This usually takes an extra 15 minutes. In the morning it takes an extra 10 minutes to fix into place.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
My routine is the same as most people here... 10 minutes in the evening to put rollers in, about 10 minutes in the morning to sort it out (sometimes longer if I'm faffing) and then 10 minutes on makeup. If it's a work day I get ready in 1 hour, including shower and (rushed) breakfast. Since I'm writing my thesis from home at the moment though, I have quite a leisurely routine these days :D. It'll be interesting to see how I get on with my hair when I start working, since it does cut out time for experimenting or changing your mind and re-doing it.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Why all the flip flop hate? Flip flops are awesome for non-vintage, casual mode. So comfy and so cute!

I grew up around beach culture and in a VERY humid environment and I never even batted an eye at flip-flops. They were just *thee* summertime shoe in these parts. I never knew there was such a hatred of them until I frequented here. Personally, I don't wear them, but to each her own :)

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
i find that people make a lot of assumptions about me, I overheard a classmate one day telling a friend of hers that I get up incredibly early everyday to do my hair and choose my outfit. In reality I probably woke up later than anyone else in my school. It takes about 15 minutes for me to do a pincurl set at night, and less than 5 to style it in the morning if I'm getting ready for a normal day. I'm also really quick at makeup, because I'm a makeup artist. And a dress with flats is so much easier to throw on for me than sweats with a tshirt, hoodie and ugg boots. But since it looks different than everyone else, and since I look more put together than them (or "fancier" as I've been told), people assume I spend hours color coordinating outfits and carefully curling my hair. It's really so much easier than that though.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I don't think it matters musch to me. I always seem to spend at leat 15 minutes longer than the time I should getting ready, whether it's vintage or modern!

Tatum

Practically Family
If I can set my hair the night before, not more than an extra ten minutes or so.

However, that has been few and far between lately... When you're in this heat and sweating like crazy, sets tend to re-wet or just get really icky, at least when you spend a few days a week in a bee suit for a half hour or so!

And if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them :/

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
I have the same problem : or my set disappears in the humid weather or in hot weather because I'm sweating so much. I've been thinking about getting a perm, but then I color my hair and I'm afraid I'll ruin it if I put a perm on top of the color. Ahhhh, the woes of being a vintage girl! [huh]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have tried that, doesn't help my sweating scalp!

Hairspray it rock solid then? (Tongue firmly in cheek.) That's a tough one... Bee suits would probably murder most hairdos!

ETA: When the humidity kills my set, I have a quick fix method. I re-curl my bangs and side hair with my flatiron, and tie the rest back with a scarf. It looks very vintage, and it quite literally takes 10 seconds to do.

Last edited:

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
When the humidity kills my set, I have a quick fix method. I re-curl my bangs and side hair with my flatiron, and tie the rest back with a scarf. It looks very vintage, and it quite literally takes 10 seconds to do.

Good idea! I'll try that one next time the weather's miserable (I guess I won't have to wait very long :D)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well..
I don't spend any more time in getting myself ready to go out the door.. but getting my CLOTHES ready..
Ironing.
..and more ironing. :)

My friends mock me, and say that I have the "close and personal relationship" with my ironing board. What I have to say in my defense: Yes, I do.. but at least MY shirts and skirts (and pants) do not look like something a cow chewed on and spat out.
(sorry for the harsh words, but that's a saying from over here) lol

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The actual act of dressing in the morning is the same if I wear jeans or one of my vintage dresses.

Likewise.

I seldom set my hair but when I do it doesn't take as long as blowdrying + GHDing does when I (also seldom) straighten it!

The only thing that takes me a long time is getting into my spanx.

I tend to plan what I am going to wear in the 10 minutes afforded to me by the snooze button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy