Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The famous "X"

Fortino37

Familiar Face
As I know the "X" on a hat was used to ensure the % of beaver fur that was included in a hat body (X=10% beaver fur) and was introduced in the early or mid 50's, before that, some makers used to state the quality on the price like "Mallory ten"=$10.00, "Dobbs Twenty"=$20.00, just want to be sure about this concepts, was the "X" used before the 50's??

Saludos form Mexicali

Fortino37

mike_tulsa

New in Town
Vintage Royal Stetson

I am new to the Fedora Lounge and know very little about hats. I recently purchased a vintage royal stetson. Can anyone tell me it's made of? Regards, Mike

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome Mike.

That will be difficult if not impossible, unless it says "Beaver" on the sweatband. It might be beaver, rabbit, hare or nutria.

Fortino, based on what we've discussed here, I'm not sure that X means squat. Every hatter had their own X rating system, so ten X's might not mean anything, but three might be great stuff. There's no way to generalize.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"X" has traditionally indicated an unknown quantity so it is possble that the it means they really have no idea what the felt composition is. The greater the number of X's, the less sure they are. I'm kidding, of course.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I remember seeing Jimmy Dean interviewed on t.v. in the late 60's or early
70's. He was wearing a 10X Stetson (cowboy, of course). He said each X stood for ten dollars. (I think cokes and candy bars were a dime, about then.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80