Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora Chronicles - Indiana Jones Hat Discrepancies

Gromulus

Practically Family
If you consider your responses as "simply bringing up another alternative" then you would be misleading the people on this forum. I responded to your comments with my own opinion about the Fed IV and your reply I considered to be defensive and snobbish so it was removed. My video is about a "screen accurate" indy hat, and in my opinion the Fed IV is not screen accurate. I have an obligation to die hard fans like myself who are very particular about the details to not let them be mislead by peoples comments/spammers on my video. There are people like me out there who would be disappointed with the Fed IV and my video is for them.

The fact that you came all the way over here to the fedora lounge to call me out on my "opinion" and gain sympathy I think is childish.

My comments were placed SEVEN MONTHS months ago, along with many others that you recently deleted as well. Along with commending you on your video I ( and others) simply mentioned the Akubra as another alternative. Let's not paint the wrong picture here. If you don't feel that Akubra hats are a reasonable representation of an "Indy" hat then simply state your opinion without denigrating those of others. Just calling out the facts as they are. If you want to continue this "conversation" with me than man-up, un-block your profile, and let's get to it.

Last edited:

robfilmmaker

New in Town
My comments were placed SEVEN MONTHS months ago, along with many others that you recently deleted as well. Along with commending you on your video I ( and others) simply mentioned the Akubra as another alternative. Let's not paint the wrong picture here. If you don't feel that Akubra hats are a reasonable representation of an "Indy" hat then simply state your opinion without denigrating those of others. Just calling out the facts as they are. If you want to continue this "conversation" with me than man-up, un-block your profile, and let's get to it.

Thank you for proving my aforementioned point with your above response. Defensive hostility will get you nowhere my friend. Good luck with that attitude, it will get you far in life.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for proving my aforementioned point with your above response. Defensive hostility will get you nowhere my friend. Good luck with that attitude, it will get you far in life.

I didn't read the comments left on Youtube, but from the comments here, you sir, are the one displaying "defensive hostility."

Edit: Ok, so I did read some of the comments on youtube and from what I gather, your reasoning against the Fed IV is it doesn't use the original block and that it is sold open crown.

Well, as close as Penman's block is, it's not original. So that's a double standard. As far as open crown, well, that's just nonsensical. The Hatsdirect websites reads as such for legal reasons, as they could land themselves in hot water if they did claim that it was a replica. But the Fed IV's block was chosen because of how closely it matches the KOTCS hat, the block was, in fact, chosen in consultation with Mr. Steve Delk himself. Moreover, many folks on Club Obi Wan would simply disagree with you that the Fed IV cannot produce an SA hat. Holt, one of the COW mods has had great success at replicating the Raiders hat with a Fed IV:
fed4a-1.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Had to visit this thread as well, when I noticed that my very innocent comments about the Akubra Federation IV were suddenly removed - several months after I had posted them. It is very difficult to understand why this was done.

Indeed, there are NO Indy hats that can claim to be authentic, except for Adventurebilt when it comes to Indy IV. There is no-one offering authentic Indy hats for the three first movies. They are all simply "best guesses" (and some might even be called caricatures) and, as such, Akubra's offering certainly deserves a place amongst them.

EDIT: 256th post (one byte, for those not familiar with computers)!

robfilmmaker

New in Town
Had to visit this thread as well, when I noticed that my very innocent comments about the Akubra Federation IV were suddenly removed - several months after I had posted them. It is very difficult to understand why this was done.

Indeed, there are NO Indy hats that can claim to be authentic, except for Adventurebilt when it comes to Indy IV. There is no-one offering authentic Indy hats for the three first movies. They are all simply "best guesses" (and some might even be called caricatures) and, as such, Akubra's offering certainly deserves a place amongst them.

EDIT: 256th post (one byte, for those not familiar with computers)!

I'm sorry if your's Wolfwood got removed, it wasn't intentional, I was mainly deleting Gromulus comments because he insulted me in one of his replys when I gave my opinion of the Fed IV. He had posted many times and to me it was looking like spam, so I removed his comments and may have got yours in the process as his were all about the Akubra so I focused in on those. But I will state for the record, my video is about screen accuracy and unfortunately in my opinion the Fed IV isn't. Its all about the details. My video isn't for people who have the Fed IV, its for people who want the details.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I'm sorry if your's Wolfwood got removed, it wasn't intentional, I was mainly deleting Gromulus comments because he insulted me in one of his replys when I gave my opinion of the Fed IV. He had posted many times and to me it was looking like spam, so I removed his comments and may have got yours in the process as his were all about the Akubra so I focused in on those. But I will state for the record, my video is about screen accuracy and unfortunately in my opinion the Fed IV isn't. Its all about the details. My video isn't for people who have the Fed IV, its for people who want the details.

Setting the record straight: I NEVER insulted you on YouTube. My original comment was a reply to Wolfwood's regarding the Akubra Fed IV. As I mentioned before, I even applauded your video (the only comment you didn't delete).

I have tried to remain civil regarding this issue bust must admit my patience is wearing thin. I will not take up additional forum space in a verbal war. You can send me a private message if you wish to further engage.

Edit: Addendum: Now you even deleted my comment applauding your video! Backpedaling in action. What a piece of work.

Last edited:

robfilmmaker

New in Town
I didn't read the comments left on Youtube, but from the comments here, you sir, are the one displaying "defensive hostility."

Edit: Ok, so I did read some of the comments on youtube and from what I gather, your reasoning against the Fed IV is it doesn't use the original block and that it is sold open crown.

Well, as close as Penman's block is, it's not original. So that's a double standard. As far as open crown, well, that's just nonsensical. The Hatsdirect websites reads as such for legal reasons, as they could land themselves in hot water if they did claim that it was a replica. But the Fed IV's block was chosen because of how closely it matches the KOTCS hat, the block was, in fact, chosen in consultation with Mr. Steve Delk himself. Moreover, many folks on Club Obi Wan would simply disagree with you that the Fed IV cannot produce an SA hat. Holt, one of the COW mods has had great success at replicating the Raiders hat with a Fed IV:
fed4a-1.jpg

First of all, Gromulus isn't telling the "facts", and is making it appear like his innocently posted about the Akubra and that I deleted it simply because its an Akubra post. Its nonsense, I deleted his comments because when I gave my opinion of the Akubra, he replied and insulted me, so thats why I deleted his comments. I then saw that there were an excessive amount of comments from him so I went through deleting them because of his insult and one or two other peoples may have gotten deleted in the process and for that I do apologize. I don't feel the Akubra is screen accurate, as you stated in the above post, the COW member had to mod the hat to get the SA. So in my opinion it ain't up to par with the others.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
First of all, Gromulus isn't telling the "facts", and is making it appear like his innocently posted about the Akubra and that I deleted it simply because its an Akubra post. Its nonsense, I deleted his comments because when I gave my opinion of the Akubra, he replied and insulted me, so thats why I deleted his comments. I then saw that there were an excessive amount of comments from him so I went through deleting them because of his insult and one or two other peoples may have gotten deleted in the process and for that I do apologize. I don't feel the Akubra is screen accurate, as you stated in the above post, the COW member had to mod the hat to get the SA. So in my opinion it ain't up to par with the others.

Actually, that is not what I said. I said Holt, who is a COW mod, as in moderator, has gotten a very SA hat.

I think your argument against the Fed IV isn't cogent, and quite frankly, don't understand what seems to be a totally irrational dislike for it. I think it's telling when commentors on your video have given your negative comments against the Fed IV negative votes on the youtube page so your comments come off as screened.

The Fed IV was designed in consultation with Steve Delk, and John Penman recommends it as an entry level hat. That's a good seal of approval for me.

robfilmmaker

New in Town
Actually, that is not what I said. I said Holt, who is a COW mod, as in moderator, has gotten a very SA hat.

I think your argument against the Fed IV isn't cogent, and quite frankly, don't understand what seems to be a totally irrational dislike for it. I think it's telling when commentors on your video have given your negative comments against the Fed IV negative votes on the youtube page so your comments come off as screened.

The Fed IV was designed in consultation with Steve Delk, and John Penman recommends it as an entry level hat. That's a good seal of approval for me.

I'll state this again so you can understand. I deleted those youtube comments because said person insulted me, it had nothing to do with the Akubra hat itself. I'm sure its a fine hat for the money. AGAIN, I DIDN'T DELETE THOSE POSTS BECAUSE OF THE FED IV. Personally, I prefer more accuracy in an Indy hat and my video are for those people like me. This is just my opinion folks, lets not change what this argument is about. I'm not a Fed IV hater, I just prefer something else and will speak my mind. Whats wrong with that?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'll state this again so you can understand. I deleted those youtube comments because said person insulted me, it had nothing to do with the Akubra hat itself. I'm sure its a fine hat for the money. AGAIN, I DIDN'T DELETE THOSE POSTS BECAUSE OF THE FED IV. Personally, I prefer more accuracy in an Indy hat and my video are for those people like me. This is just my opinion folks, lets not change what this argument is about. I'm not a Fed IV hater, I just prefer something else and will speak my mind. Whats wrong with that?

Again, who is the one with the defensive hostility?

You may see your video as for people like yourself, but clearly there's a body of people out there who didn't appreciate your negative comments with regards to the Fed IV. So the viewers of your video don't appear to agree with your own sentiments about who your video is for.

And so we're on the same page, I don't care about your sour grapes with Gromulus. I'm here to discuss hats. You're the one trying to make this about your personal conflicts. I'm trying to discuss hats on a hat forum.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Right about the time that I have time to come back and hang out on here with my buddies one of these Indy argument threads keeps creeping to the top and I'm forced to leave for awhile because it's so overwhelmingly ridiculous..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff