The Fedora Lounge 4.0

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Nathan Flowers, May 7, 2018.

1. Nathan
    The page 'jumped' back to only the post and lost the response I was typing. After the 'jump' the reply window was blank.
    Just did it to me again replying to your post. A message appeared stating that ' Something on this web page made Internet Explorer to stop working' or something like that. Had to read message quick as it didn't last long. This is the second time I am trying to send this reply.
    HD

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

There's your problem right there. ;)

Okay, I'm teasing a bit, but I've never liked Internet Explorer and almost always seemed to have problems while using it. Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are usually far more stable and reliable.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    3fingers likes this.
  3. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

Third time lucky. :rolleyes:

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Explorer is the worst, most glitchy browser out there and seems to be getting worse. As much as I dislike Google, Chrome works well. Firefox is good too.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Lean'n'mean

Or the jumps will be in a more indolent manner. :D

6. Nathan Flowers

Nathan Flowers Head Bartender Staff Member

I'm sorry you're having issues with the site. Unfortunately, internet explorer is outdated and not one of our supported browsers. We support Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've noticed this over the last couple of years - Edge has replaced Explorer (unfortunately, as Edge is a further drop in quality). I'm using Opera myself, and this works great with the Lounge. I switched to Opera from Chrome because when I researched it, while Chrome came up tops for security, it also was bottom of the back for privacy. Opera is, afaik, based on the same OS code as Chrome, but with vastly superior privacy protection.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

TenFourFox works fine most of the time for we atavists who think Mac OS 10.4 is as far as we intend to go.

9. Lean'n'mean

T he receEnT downdate iS
    WorkinG finE fOr
    mE.

No pRoblEmS aT
    ......................................alL.
    ;)

10. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

.rehtie smelborp suoires yna dah t'nevah I

.stun wwA

Edward and Lean'n'mean like this.
  11. AvavanBlythe

AvavanBlythe Familiar Face

If you're not on mobile, just use Adblock Plus or Ublock/NanoBlock. While I'm all for supporting the sites I enjoy, I'd sooner pay out of pocket when I can afford it, and not risk my computer to grey level ads. There's also Firefox Focus for smartphones.

Worst case scenario for me, if something happens and I end up losing what I wrote, I just go to notepad (even if I'm on mobile) and type out what I want, then past it. Sometimes I do that if I'm writing a guide for someone, so that I don't lose the important links I've added in. :)

12. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 One of the Regulars

Nathan I have had some of the same problems as stated above when I have been in the middle of tying a post. I have gotten a message saying the web-page encountered a problem. I was posting on my iPhone at those times and the page reloaded 3 times with the same message. I would the loose whatever I had typed and start over. I am typing the message on Google Chrome and I have seen a resolving host message load a couple of time at the bottom of the page. My biggest problem which is not the end of the world is while I am reading on my iPhone. The page reloads the post I am reading and brings me back to where I originally started reading at the top of whatever page I'm on.

Steven

13. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Man, am I getting a lot of whacky ads. Some in questionable taste.

1mach1 likes this.
  14. 1mach1

1mach1

I hear that.

However, the ads don't bother me. Like gnats in summer.

15. Nathan Flowers

Nathan Flowers Head Bartender Staff Member

Click the X next to the adchoices triangle on the top-right of the ad and you can report it. This month we're moving to lazy loading and sandboxing which should resolve most of the issues.

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

There is a new law here in the UK and probably the rest of Europe too, that forces companies to declare the information that they hold on you. We are currently being asked for permission by those companies to continue to farm that information. To that end, the Fedora Lounge has introduced a pop-up, at least here in the UK, that must be "agreed" before membership can continue.

It's taken me over a week to decide to continue and that's because every other company's request includes an opt out from having personal information retained, The Lounge has no such facility.

My delay has been caused by two clauses in the terms and conditions: The first is this one.
    "TheFedoraLounge.com may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy."
    All the rhetoric over the stringent security of The Lounge goes out of the window with that clause.
    The second is this:
    "These terms may be changed at anytime without notice."
    Hardly makes the terms and conditions worth the (virtual) paper that they are printed on.

17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I think in the case of the Lounge, as it's not a profit-oriented venture, the prospect of it going bankrupt is somewhere between diddly and squat. They're likely already operating at a "loss."

Gotta agree on the second one, though. While it's boilerplate language, there is definitely a "forget everything else we said" quality to it.

Litella.jpg

18. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Thanks for responding, I did beat myself up for a while over, what I saw as, Big Brother. It wasn't easy to post a negative response with feeling beligerent about it.

19. AvavanBlythe

AvavanBlythe Familiar Face

If it's any consolation, Facebook's been selling your info for years. And you don't even need an account. They've collected information through friends, and friends of friends. I personally don't think there's anything FL could do worse, than what Facebook's already done. I'm pretty sure it's tame. And the terms changing could always be for the better. That bit is usually a disclaimer to cover their buts when they do make updates, so that no one can sue saying, "You didn't tell me!" Well, most sites usually have update notices on the front page. Most members are likely to bookmark just the forum's section, and won't see said updates.

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Never forget that no matter where you go on the internet, and no matter what you do there, you yourself are the product. It's up to you, however, to determine what kind of product you are.