Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fedora that fits your face.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Dan, I think the important question is which hat catches more fish! I'll take a look at Stetsonian but think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Stylemaster. I think the Stylemaster will look great on my brother and if it doesn't look that good on me, I can sell it in the classifieds here without loosing too much and get another hat. Like I said, I've been eyeing that Tawney Fed. Thank you for the advice everyone.

Oh and Andrew, what do you do in Shanghai, I've been through China many times.

I'd get a Campdraft if I were you - the Stylemaster will be too narrow on you. The Campdraft had a more substantial, less tapered crown and a slightly wider brim. All will work better with your dimensions.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fish - it might also be worth looking at the Akubra Fedora - a 2.5" brim and slightly shorter crown than the Fed but probably better proportioned than the Stylemaster. Good luck whichever way you go.

fish1534

New in Town
Hi guys, thanks for all of the help. I went with the Stylemaster and it arrived recently. I really like the hat; it's my first real fedora and was bought to be a dressy hat to go with the grey pinstripe jacket in the pictures. I was a little concerned about the crown taper but I think the crown works with my face. What I'm not pleased with is the brim shape; I think I need to work on it. I actually like the looks of the first hat from the original set of photos I posted... but why? Tell me what you guys think. Turn the brim down some more in the front? Also can I steam a brim that is has a bound edge?

Landman

One Too Many
Looks like all you need to do is turn the front brim down some more. You can use steam on a bound brim but my Stylemaster brim doesn't need steam. It snaps up and down very easily. In the picture you are only trying to turn down the very front of the brim. Start about mid hat and turn the front brim down going around to the other side. It should snap down nicely on its own.

The hat looks good on you and goes well with your jacket. Enjoy!

Great choice. Looks proportionately spot on! I'm with Landman... an easy downward turn on the front will do the trick.

Congrats!!

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Looks good on you! I tend to wear my hats (ballcaps as well) with the front low on my face. Bit of a personal preference. I like the wider brims myself, but at 6'5", and around 220 I just don't like the way stingy's balance out. Then again I really only have the one hat right now... Definitely gonna pick up more over time, part of me still wants to get an 'Indy'. My dad has a couple nice newer hats that I know I'll get eventually, but I do want some that weren't 'handed down'(buying a vintage not counting...)

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks good. I'd pull the brim down a bit (I generally go for a swoop with one side lower than the other, but it's personal preference). Nice choice anyway!

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure that this has not already been posted here but I found this just before I went on my recent holiday as I was looking to do some colour matching when deciding to take a hat. Upshot a steely grey looks petty good with everything. There is also some information on colour matching as well as face shapes. I remember reading a few recent threads where people were trying to ascertain the right hat for their shape.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/28/the-perfect-hat-for-your-ugly-mug/

Ps I also found that if you do not have a hat box for your travels or a plastic bag to place your hat in for is dreaded trip through the airport scanner that one can be fashioned from the plastic that the blankets on the plane are stored in. Also another note on this, make sure you place the brim down in the tray or your hat will be snagged by the scanners curtains.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Being a newby and not a native american-english speaker, I am miffed by this choice of words. Could you expand before I misunderstand? That rimes so must be true.

Ed made ​​a small spelling mistake: "Article posted before of course but always helpful for newbie's". Hope, that helped :)

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I tend to concur with some of the others that, among the hats pictured, the first one would be my choice. It's very classic and elegant without calling too much attention to itself. Number two is too light and modern looking (may be better with a different band). Number three is too flashy and costumey (looks like part of a gangster get-up - and screams "look at me, I'm wearing a hat"). Number four: too stingy. Number five: Too Outback drover/faux Indiana Jones. Six: way too stingy. Seven: Not bad. Looks a bit too hipster with the brim turned up, but that might work for you if that's the look you're going for. Eight: Again too stingy and hipster for my taste but it might work for you if that's what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana