Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

IXL

One Too Many
I also had a great time at the Filson flagship main store when I was in Seattle almost two years ago but never made it to the outlet store. Wquiles is right about the miserable winter this year in N Texas. Another cold front tonight is coming through, and the high for tomorrow will be at one minute after midnight tonight. My neighbor just N in Oklahoma should get worse. :p

Your neighbor just N in Oklahoma ain't even gonna leave the house today.....

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Your neighbor just N in Oklahoma ain't even gonna leave the house today.....

The term "Texas Blue Norther" could just as easily be called an Oklahoma Norther as well since the frontal system comes through the Oklahoma panhandle just fractionally before hitting the Texas panhandle, and the state of Oklahoma generally gets the worst of the bad weather since OK is N of TX. Anyhow, back on subject: The proper Filson gear makes a Texas (or Oklahoma) Blue Norther more tolerable, and without proper outerwear, IXL and Fanch should definitely stay indoors today. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Norther

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
Filson recently opened a store in the North Loop area of downtown Minneapolis, as well as an outlet center in the burbs. I checked out the outlet and it was interesting. I was looking to score an inexpensive short cruiser soy wax jacket (lined) but came up empty. they did have a black, unlined short cruiser made from 8oz vachetta cotton. I was told it was a prototype that never made it to retail. they wanted $99 for it but it felt cheap and the shoulders were kinda boxey, plus the color was a deal breaker for me. overall, I liked it. I'll keep going back to see if I can score the jacket I want at a steeply discounted price.

wemedge

New in Town
Filson repair etc

Thought I'd ask this here instead of staring a new thread- anyone have a recent experience with Filson's repair service? I just sent my Mackinaw Cruiser in for a repair estimate... I heard good things about their warranty, so hopefully they can fix it up.

Also looking to buy their Tin Cloth Field Coat this year!

wemedge

Damo

A-List Customer
Filson recently opened a store in the North Loop area of downtown Minneapolis, as well as an outlet center in the burbs. I checked out the outlet and it was interesting. I was looking to score an inexpensive short cruiser soy wax jacket (lined) but came up empty. they did have a black, unlined short cruiser made from 8oz vachetta cotton. I was told it was a prototype that never made it to retail. they wanted $99 for it but it felt cheap and the shoulders were kinda boxey, plus the color was a deal breaker for me. overall, I liked it. I'll keep going back to see if I can score the jacket I want at a steeply discounted price.

Too bad you couldn't find a soy wax short cruiser. I have one and Its a great light weight jacket, I really like the modern slim fit and the light tan colour with the red plaid lining. I see it as a fashion piece, i think it would get way too dirty if using it for work. I don't regret paying full price for it.

I'm considering the tin cloth short cruiser as a work jacket. Does anyone have any experience with it?

IXL

One Too Many
I have a tin cloth cruiser. I wear it while doing battle with cedar trees in the fall. It is pretty tough and offers good protection but doesn't breathe well. Fortunately, it can be easily unsnapped a bit. I also purchased the tin cloth chaps and wouldn't be without them.

In the beginning, I did have some worry that the tin cloth would stain the seats in my truck but this hasn't been a problem. It is also good at rain protection. These items are definitely not for summer wearing, though.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Too bad you couldn't find a soy wax short cruiser. I have one and Its a great light weight jacket, I really like the modern slim fit and the light tan colour with the red plaid lining. I see it as a fashion piece, i think it would get way too dirty if using it for work. I don't regret paying full price for it.

I'm considering the tin cloth short cruiser as a work jacket. Does anyone have any experience with it?

That's a really nice jacket, but the arms are so damn short. The new Seattle fit is much better than the regular Filson fit (which means the new fit isn't aimed at fat dudes), but they need to lengthen the arms! Especially in a work jacket.

The soy wax cotton jackets look great after a few years of work, too. They get dirty and marked up easily, but that's part of the beauty of them. Patina and all that.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That's a really nice jacket, but the arms are so damn short. The new Seattle fit is much better than the regular Filson fit (which means the new fit isn't aimed at fat dudes), but they need to lengthen the arms! Especially in a work jacket.

I also have long arms and need to buy my Filson shirts and jackets with the "extra long" listings. I also prefer the Seattle fit over the Alaska but note that virtually all of the extra long sizes are associated only with the Alaska fit.

gaseousclay

Familiar Face

how would you rate the quality and construction of the soy wax short cruiser? The thing that put me off of buying one, aside from the $300 price tag, was that I believe it's advertised as being made with 10oz twill. this seems kinda cheap to me, but since i've never handled one in the flesh I have no way of knowing how sturdy a jacket it is. the unlined prototype I saw at the outlet felt really cheap - in fact, it had that crinkly reusable bag feel about it that I didn't like.

Damo

A-List Customer

The soy wax cotton jackets look great after a few years of work, too. They get dirty and marked up easily, but that's part of the beauty of them. Patina and all that.

Yes good point about the arms being short. I only wear it for style so it doesn't bother me but you are on to something. They should make the Seattle fit with longer arms.

I couldn't possible get the soy wax cruiser dirty, its way too pretty as is...

Damo

A-List Customer
how would you rate the quality and construction of the soy wax short cruiser? The thing that put me off of buying one, aside from the $300 price tag, was that I believe it's advertised as being made with 10oz twill. this seems kinda cheap to me, but since i've never handled one in the flesh I have no way of knowing how sturdy a jacket it is. the unlined prototype I saw at the outlet felt really cheap - in fact, it had that crinkly reusable bag feel about it that I didn't like.

I used to buy fashionable brand jackets so in comparison to those the soy wax cruiser quality and construction is far superior. The jacket doesn't feel cheap at all to me although I haven't handled their heavier weight cloth. I did notice the feel and stiffness of the jacket changes depending on the temperature. During warmer temps the jacket is much more pliable than colder temps. I only wear it for going out in and not working so I'm not really testing the quality of it as a work jacket. Hopefully this helps..

If you do end up buying it online don't make the same mistake I made. I ordered a tin of soy wax with it not knowing that the jacket already comes with a tin of soy wax

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
I used to buy fashionable brand jackets so in comparison to those the soy wax cruiser quality and construction is far superior. The jacket doesn't feel cheap at all to me although I haven't handled their heavier weight cloth. I did notice the feel and stiffness of the jacket changes depending on the temperature. During warmer temps the jacket is much more pliable than colder temps. I only wear it for going out in and not working so I'm not really testing the quality of it as a work jacket. Hopefully this helps..

If you do end up buying it online don't make the same mistake I made. I ordered a tin of soy wax with it not knowing that the jacket already comes with a tin of soy wax

Thanks. Does it have that crinkly feel to it or does it feel like it's a decent quality cloth? the prototype I handled at the outlet store was made with an 8oz vachetta cotton and it was unlined. It was only $99 but it still felt like it was too expensive for the cheap quality you were getting. I'm surprised it even made it to an outlet. Makes me also wonder if the outlets ever sell the lined soy wax cruiser. I'd buy one if it was half price for sure

Got any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighandDry

A-List Customer
The tan short cruiser was very crinkly. I ended up getting the black version. I don't know why, but the black ones were smooth and soft.
Is it worth 300 bucks? It's good quality, but it is overpriced. I almost went with the Gustin jacket https://www.weargustin.com/store/1076, but I couldn't try it on before buying.
The Gustin looks nice...

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
The tan short cruiser was very crinkly. I ended up getting the black version. I don't know why, but the black ones were smooth and soft.
Is it worth 300 bucks? It's good quality, but it is overpriced. I almost went with the Gustin jacket https://www.weargustin.com/store/1076, but I couldn't try it on before buying.
The Gustin looks nice...

funny you mention the waxed trucker jacket from Gustin. I was debating the Gustin trucker vs the Filson soy wax short cruiser and went with the Gustin instead. The main reasons being cost (Gustin's is only $139) and fabric (they use a heavy 13oz fabric). Based on what I saw at the outlet store I was unwilling to spend $300 sight unseen for a jacket, but I was willing to spend $139 sight unseen for the Gustin trucker. I backed the brown trucker jacket and should be getting it in November.

Damo

A-List Customer
funny you mention the waxed trucker jacket from Gustin. I was debating the Gustin trucker vs the Filson soy wax short cruiser and went with the Gustin instead. The main reasons being cost (Gustin's is only $139) and fabric (they use a heavy 13oz fabric). Based on what I saw at the outlet store I was unwilling to spend $300 sight unseen for a jacket, but I was willing to spend $139 sight unseen for the Gustin trucker. I backed the brown trucker jacket and should be getting it in November.

Well done!! Please let us know your thought about the jacket when you receive.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
I keep looking at the Soy cruiser in their Newburgh St store (London) looks good for warmer weather - but my tin-cloth cruiser is so versatile that I sense even more duplication on my rails.... Also the TC Cruiser is shaping up very nicely. Janet uses her Cruiser as a totem against bad weather - she gets it out whenever rain threatens and it seems to clear up. Either that or its the misaligned Jetstream.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just found this style of Filson at Goodwill for $18.00 and it's my size. Although this pic isn't my jacket, my jacket is an exact duplicate. This one was on ebay and is a lot better picture than I could take of mine. This style has a lot number of 95, does anyone know how to find out the age from that number?

fedoralover

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Have a Tin Cloth waxed cruiser. Leaned up against an unsigned freshly painted porch post. Didn't see paint til next day. Thank god it was a water based latex. I was able to scrape it off and re-wax according to instructions withthe assistance of electric hair dryer. None the worst for wear!

Used my Mack wool trousers last year elk hunting in Colorado. They are skookum!! Currently waiting on my order to come in. Have a LW wool western vest and waxed single tin cloth trousers that should be in any day now! Love my Filson gear!
Bob

Damo

A-List Customer
Hey guys, just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my Soy waxed lined cruiser seattle fit.

photo 5.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk