Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Filson Thread

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I eventually got a Double Mack, in size 44 unbelievably (I am a 38 actual chest!) Got it for a song too, looks virtually unworn.
To the guy who is currently looking for one, keep at it that bargain might be waiting right around the corner. I eventually paid £70 (approx $110) for it.

I finally got myself a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. Originally I was wanting a double Mack but this one became available but it was a size 36 and I am a 38. After a lot of pondering and reading I came to the conclusion that Filson tend to oversize so I took a chance (the auction was ending:eusa_doh: so not much time to waste). It arrived yesterday and thankfully it fits:). It is a snug fit but there is room for my Mackinaw vest underneath when it gets cold. If a Double Mackinaw comes up in a 38 then I would be seriously tempted to buy that and sell on the single but for now I am a happy camper. Pics below, sorry no pics of me actually wearing it yet.
MackinawFront.jpg

MackinawRear.jpg

MackinawTop.jpg

MackinawLabel.jpg

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I hope it is OK to post this here. Maybe there is a military surplus thread somewhere? But it is a quality, much cheaper alternative to the Filson pants.

I've been considering buying a pair of Mackinaw Field pants, but I cannot believe the price. Then I remembered I had a pair of Bulag Munchen surplus trousers folded up and buried on the bottom of a mountain of "someday" clothing. I believe I paid $10 for them in the mid-90s. I only had the situation to wear them a few times, and I remember finding them a nice, but strange garment. The strange part about them was that I think they had wax paper sandwiched in the double-thick knees. Something in there crinkled when you folded them. Very thick wool pants and reinforced like a heavy-duty BDU pant with six pockets, suspender buttons, flapped and snapped front pockets. I wish I knew more about them. I'm not certain they are 100% wool, but I cannot imagine them being a blend, either. They're old surplus and built for abuse. Nice color of fabric as well.

wquiles

Familiar Face
I hope it is OK to post this here. Maybe there is a military surplus thread somewhere? But it is a quality, much cheaper alternative to the Filson pants.

I've been considering buying a pair of Mackinaw Field pants, but I cannot believe the price. Then I remembered I had a pair of Bulag Munchen surplus trousers folded up and buried on the bottom of a mountain of "someday" clothing. I believe I paid $10 for them in the mid-90s. I only had the situation to wear them a few times, and I remember finding them a nice, but strange garment. The strange part about them was that I think they had wax paper sandwiched in the double-thick knees. Something in there crinkled when you folded them. Very thick wool pants and reinforced like a heavy-duty BDU pant with six pockets, suspender buttons, flapped and snapped front pockets. I wish I knew more about them. I'm not certain they are 100% wool, but I cannot imagine them being a blend, either. They're old surplus and built for abuse. Nice color of fabric as well.

Photos? Otherwise it didn't happen :D

wquiles

Familiar Face
Outstanding - those look like a great bargain for $16 :eusa_clap

Like you I now have wool uppers (Filson Cruiser), but I have been thinking about wool pants to have as a "backup". I think I need to look for something like what you bought. Thanks man ;)

By the way, how did you decipher the sizing to know what size to buy/look for?

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Nice Blog Ernest. I have a pair of Columbia wool camo pants and jacket I scored a couple years ago on clearance. Otherwise I would get a pair.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
By the way, how did you decipher the sizing to know what size to buy/look for?
I don't remember the situation too clearly, but I imagine I bought them from a canvas and tent repair shop that also sold a lot of surplus for very cheap. I bought a lot of stuff there. I couldn't walk out of that store without buying at least a few things. Wool watch caps for $4. Wool socks for $1. Those pants were $10. I picked up some equally as nice, though for different use, M-1951 wool trousers for $7 or $8.

I'd also recommend those Korean War era pants for the outdoorsy folk. The M-1951s are thicker wool than your common wool trouser, but are more in the dressy realm. They are NOT dressy, but they are a nicer, less militaria green and are a tighter, smoother fabric with a full cut so they don't inhibit movement. Maybe 1/3 the weight of those German fatigues. They are very warm and tough as nails. I've worn mine on many trail-breaking snowshoeing excursions through winter dried thickets, and I've never got a tear or snag. The fabric is incredible. Though I've worn the hell out of them, they look exactly like the day I purchased them. If carry weight is a concern, the M-1951s might be a better choice. And you can wash them vs the German fatigues need dry-cleaning; though now that I know that is a vapor barrier and not impregnated paper, I might try handwashing the German trousers if I ever needed to do so. You can still find the M-1951s all over the place for $10. They are a serious wool trouser, and I'm certain they wouldn't disappoint anyone looking for a wool lower to actually use outside.

Will015

Familiar Face
I concur about the M-1951 trousers. Super hard wearing and surprisingly warm for their weight. I think it may have something to do with the tightness of the weave. Is this what is called Whipcord? I've worn mine for 2 cold seasons while working utility construction and they are still looking pretty darn sturdy. Mine are the type that are sized S,M,L with the side adjuster straps and they are incredibly unattractive. I'd imagine a numerically sized waist would end up better fitting.

wquiles

Familiar Face
These are my vintage (new to me) Filson Cruisers. Under the Cruisers I am wearing a long sleeve t-shirt, and a cotton sweater. The first one is the older Mackinaw cruiser (style 110), in Forest Green, size 40. The second is an older Filson Forestry Cloth Cruiser (style 16), also in size 40:
IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

Close-up on the labels and color comparisons:
IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

Last edited:

wquiles

Familiar Face
As expected, the Mackinaw Cruiser is significantly thicker than the Forestry Cruiser:
IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

I also have a 1949 Navy Peacoat, so here are their weights for comparison:
- Vintage Forestry Cloth Cruiser = 2 lb, 2.5 oz (supposed to be 18oz wool)
- Vintage Mackinaw Cruiser = 3 lb, 10 oz (supposed to be 26oz wool)
- 1949 Navy Peacoat = 4 lb, 6.6 oz (supposed to be 32oz wool)

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Familiar Face
Nice side-by-side there. If you would, what sportcoat size do you wear?

Size 40. But those sport coats fit me more tightly than these Filson size 40's, since the Filson's were designed to allow layering.

I briefly had a Size 38 Whipcord cruiser, which is Filson's style 175, which has all snaps, and unfinished cuffs, which fit me more like my Size 40 sport coat. Here are a couple of pics:
DSCF1335.JPG

DSCF1345.JPG

Will

wquiles

Familiar Face
I got to visit my customer in Seattle this week, and I also got an opportunity to visit both the Filson Outlet, and Filson's signature store/factory.

Outlet Store address:
Shoppes at Burlington
Address: 448 Fashion Way, Burlington, WA 98233
Phone: 360-503-1897
Hours: Mon-Sat 10-8

Filson store (and factory):
ADDRESS:
1555 4th Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134
206-622-3147
STORE HOURS:
Monday - Friday, 10 am - 5 pm
Saturday, 9 am - 5 pm
Sunday, 12 pm - 5 pm

First, the outlet store:
20140304_122642.jpg

20140304_122757.jpg

Please note that the outlet store is a freaking LONG way from Seattle. It is more than 1 hour North of Seattle. It was raining here in Seattle (common, I know), so it was nearly 1 and 1/2 hours each way. I would not do the trip again, except that the same outlet strip also has the Pendleton outlet store, the Eddie Bauer outlet store, and a few other ones.
20140304_130730.jpg

20140304_130745.jpg

If you only care about the Filson one, since it is a relatively small store (about 1/3 of the size of the Seattle store), they have limited sizes/colors, so I would call first and ask about the particular item and price. Yes, pricing was good, at about 1/3 off or so, depending on the reason (returns, defects, etc.).

Now, the main store, that was great:
20140304_142618.jpg

20140304_142731.jpg

20140304_142850.jpg

As expected, they pretty much have every size/color in stock, so you can try on pretty much anything you want. I showed up with my vintage mackinaw cruiser, and the very nice (and tall), older gentleman instantly recognized my older cruiser as one with the 26oz wool. I compared it to the new ones (24oz), and you "can" tell the slight difference in the thickness of the wool. Not a big deal, but noticeable - the right-most cruiser here in the photo is my vintage 26oz:
20140304_144605.jpg

I wear a size 40 cruiser, but was debating if the size 38 or size 40 vest would be a better fit, so I got to try them both. Sure enough the size 38 fits me best - closer to the body, for warmth. The size 40 "bunched" up when I put my cruiser on - definitely one size too big.

I was also very curious about trying out the "Seattle Fit" garments, and my sales guy was extremely accommodating showing me everything. I tried the "equivalent" to my vintage size 40 (a medium), and yes, on the chest, I could tell that it was slightly more trim, but not quite a full size difference - meaning it was like trying on a size 38 or 39. On the arms, the fit was also less "generous" than with my vintage cruiser, so I suspect a heavy/thick sweater that would fit me on my cruiser might be a little bit tight on the Seattle Fit. Note the Seattle Fit garments don't come in the exact size (36, 38, 40, 42, etc.) but rather Small, Med, Large, etc..

Since in Texas our winters are generally mild (not this year!), I have been wanting a lighter wool coat, so I got to try the wonderful Wool Cape Coat, which is a lighter weight wool - it also "looks" smoother, more dressy than the more "raw" wool on my cruiser. I tried a medium in black, and I liked it a lot. My wife is getting me one soon, so I look forward to that.

I then got to see all of the briefcases side by size, and I am so happy I got the 257 and NOT the 258. The 258 is way too big for my needs. I inquired about the famous Pullman, and it was huge - I mean, I know it is supposed to be the largest size that qualifies for carry-on, but it looks huge in person. My sales person recommended not to fully stuff it, since it would then be too big to pass/fit as carry on.

Lastly, I asked the sales guy (I could tell he has been selling these products for a while) about the factory visible from within the store, and he promptly shared that they started with that area, expanding right above it, and will be expanding right above the store (so 3 out of the 4 areas in the building would be manufacturing), and that they also have another/newer factory close by. He added that they are so busy, they added a 3rd shift, and now work 24/7 just to keep up with the demand.

Later that day we had dinner with our customer, and walked back to the hotel. Typical of Seattle this time of the year, we had fairly constant rain/drizzle (not really downpours). When I got to the hotel, I was dry and warm:
20140305_190825.jpg

My 257 had just water on its surface, hardly nothing on my cruiser, but I am a little disappointed in my tin cloth hat - it got completely soaked, and I was starting to feel wet on my head, so I will have to wax it soon, to see if my hat works better next time:
20140305_190918.jpg

All in all, I really enjoyed the visit to Seattle, and specially the Filson's store in Seattle - I most definitely recommend setting time aside to visit the store. It is not huge by any means, so you can see/try-on stuff and be out in 10-15 minutes, that is, unless you start up a conversation with your friendly Filson sales attendant :)

Will

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I also had a great time at the Filson flagship main store when I was in Seattle almost two years ago but never made it to the outlet store. Wquiles is right about the miserable winter this year in N Texas. Another cold front tonight is coming through, and the high for tomorrow will be at one minute after midnight tonight. My neighbor just N in Oklahoma should get worse. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana