Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fit of an Aero G-1 (and G&B)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I may actually be considering Aero right now, in addition to the other, cheaper jackets I had mentioned in my previous thread. Now, with this cleared up, in your experience, what is the quality and the fit of Aero's U.S. Navy G-1, a.k.a. the M422a?

If I wear a size 42 sport coat, should I consider ording at that 42 size, or go down to 40? I want this G-1 to be a jacket that I can have for life, basically. I don't think I plan on losing that much more weight, maybe five more pounds, and I don't plan on gaining weight over perhaps 175 if I can help it as I age. For the record, I'm 20 years of age, 6'2 in height, and at the moment, about 163 pounds. I wear a size 15 neck, and 33 sleeves on my shirts, and I am at a 33 waist size. I hope this extra info could help with my dilemma, somewhat.

EDIT: I think I should add, how long, generally, does it take to receive your order from the Aero company?

JanSolo

Practically Family
In terms of sizing it is always a good idea to contact Amanda at Aero directly. Give her a bell and she'll be glad to advise on the correct sizing for an M422a.

As for the jacket... Aero's M422a is a very neat and trim fitting jacket so you will have to size up for sure. If your chest measurement is a true 42 measured over a thin shirt your size for the jacket will be a 44 and it will still be very close fitting (as it should be! Oversized G1s look so "cheap-American-mall-shit" as it gets!)
Aero's goatskin is among the best goatskins available. It's thick, 100% vegetable tanned, quite stiff when not broken in, but becomes very pliable after some time. But will never be as soft as chrome tanned leather.
Edith is Aero's machinist for military jackets and her work is something to admire. Her needlework always a piece of art. Aero also uses a very durable thread which reminds me a bit of a fishing line. It's much thicker than average thread with an incredibly high breaking strength. Seams on Aero jackets come with a lifetime warranty...

Here are some pics of my jacket:

Mottled spray finish

2981216100_470371444a.jpg

2980349199_b9db4ecc17.jpg

Olive drab contrast stitching on special request (no extra charge)

2980349195_f8c019e1be.jpg

How it fits (and how it should fit)

2980697505_4b57763364.jpg

2981521504_f0a88a5147.jpg

Other things to consider:

Aero's M422a is a historically correct jacket...from the bakelite buttons to the rayon lining. Due to that the construction does incorporate one or two things that will ultimately wear out faster than you will like.

1. The lining: The original specs for this jacket called for genuine whine coloured rayon. Although it feels very luxurious and makes the jacket very easy to put on, it is not very durable. Aero know this and they are willing to use other materials for the lining if you are prepared to leave "the historical road". A synthetic lining is a good choice, or olive drab gabardine which is even better IMO. If you opt for a different lining Aero won't put an original WWII contract label in the jacket. No problem me think...;) Their civilian labels look much better anyway.

2. The knitted waistband: Aero uses original deadstock WWII single weave M422a waitbands for their Navy jackets. It's a nice touch to have a truly vintage component on your jacket (like a vintage zipper) But those waistbands are not very elastic and they very quickly lose their shape. Go for a dark brown two ply double weave waistband from their A2 range...much better choice. And it stays in shape virtually forever.

3. The zipper: The jacket comes with a brass or nickel talon zip. Go for the AERO branded nickel zip. Trouble and maintenance free, lasts forever and looks good.

Phew! Hope that bit of advice kelps...

The Saint

New in Town
Press Buttons on a G-1/M422a?

Hi Jan,

your jacket looks brilliant, but one thing is not correct in my view!?
I never see a G-1, or M422a with pressbuttons on their pockets. Do you change it, or is this a authentic version?

Sascha

JanSolo

Practically Family
Don't get me wrong Sascha. My Aero is totally "inauthentic" in terms of being true to any specific military contract. But it's a superbly made period correct civilian jacket of the 1940s.

Here's what was changed:

Hello all.

I recently acquired a new jacket from Aero. It's sort of a custom modified M422a/G1. I know that modifications on military jackets compromise the authenticity of the original design and therefore some people think that this should be avoided.
The most important thing that was altered is the back. It still retains the trademark halfbelt but lacks the complicated action back construction. Buttons on the pockets were replaced by large ring press studs which make the pockets much more usable. Olive drab contrast stitching instead of medium brown thread. On my previous Aero G1s I always felt that the limited longevity of the milspec burgundy rayon lining was probably the only weak spot on an otherwise perfect jacket. This time I had it replaced with a dark brown super thick smooth satin lining which is as comfortable as the original rayon lining but much more durable. The deadstock G1 waistband was replaced by a double weave A2 waistband for greater durability as well
I also opted for the original 1930 label showing two pilots in front of a hangar. I also went for a nickel Aero zipper instead of a Talon replica as those don't hold up well. The Aero zip is one of the nicest and most durable zippers I've seen so far. It slides silky smooth and is very easy to operate.The jacket was again made by Edith and I cannot say how pleased I am with the result

It's a size 40 but due to the lack of the action back it probably fits more like a long 38. The fit is superb and this jacket is definitively a keeper. The beautiful spray finish veg tanned goatskin is exceptionally thick (even compared Real McCoys goatskin) and shows loads of grain variations. Note the subtle mottling effect of the colour of the leather.

The Saint

New in Town
early G-1 vs M422a

...Oh, I see. Sorry for that Jan.
My experience with the AERO M422a is that this is very tight. Perhaps it sounds funny but it seems that the M422a is roomy in the back ( because of the bi swing action back ) and very, very tight in the chest / front.

Comparing to a new G-1 (Cooper & Cocpit ) it fits totaly different.
The problem here is, that they loose partly their shape to generate more space.

What is about a early G-1? Is this the balance of shape and fit?

Till now I haven´t a chance to compare a M422a to a 50th G-1 like the Eastman USN G-1 55J14.

Do you know the different ?

Thanks!

Sascha

JanSolo

Practically Family
Sorry, I don't know if there is any difference between an Aero and the Eastman equivalent. But I assume that there won't be much difference in fit as they are both based on historical models. I once owned a Real McCoys NZ and that was comparable in terms of overall proportions

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
The Saint said:
...Oh, I see. Sorry for that Jan.
My experience with the AERO M422a is that this is very tight. Perhaps it sounds funny but it seems that the M422a is roomy in the back ( because of the bi swing action back ) and very, very tight in the chest / front.

Comparing to a new G-1 (Cooper & Cocpit ) it fits totaly different.
The problem here is, that they loose partly their shape to generate more space.

What is about a early G-1? Is this the balance of shape and fit?

Till now I haven´t a chance to compare a M422a to a 50th G-1 like the Eastman USN G-1 55J14.

Do you know the different ?

Thanks!

Sascha

Hi,
I heard here that Eastman 55J14 is more roomy than originals, to be confirmed...
I'm not sure, but I believe that the back leather pannel often seems smaller on M422,AN-6552 and 55J14, than the later 7823.
I own a 7823A Ralph Edward (1961). I like it a lot. It's a 40 (my size is usually 40). I think the 38 sould be perfect for me. Like A2, there were a lot of contractors for G1, and sizing may vary a lot. Sometime it vary betwen 2 jackets from the same contractor, and from the same period...
The action back permit to be supple with sizing, but I'm agree with Jan when he talk about oversized G1.
You can find a lot of infos here: http://moorecustom.com/jackets/
I'm glad with mine, I don't have problem with rooming you talk about, but mine is a second hand, and it was well worn when I got it.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Mill. spec M-422A, 4 years wear.

Hello,
I´m a fan of these fur collar military jacket´s. the historical correctness is not so nesessary for me. I have original seen Jansolo`s jacket and would go for something like this next time. But to give you a idea how a Aero M-422A will fit and look after a while.

This Aero M-422A is about 4 years in hand, it was new, but do not know when it was produced, bought it second hand from the bay. It´s a size 46 with no customising, only the zipper is an original Talon. It not cabinetware, i wear it often. The leather has still stand, but for example in the arm bend area it is smooth. The M-422A is much more comfortable than my tight 38-1711P A2. The fit of a customised one would be better, but I can live with this. But a better fitting one, with the knitting of the A2, with...... but with swing back!

250810155356_P1090724.JPG

250810165122_P1090727.JPG

250810165650_P1090730.JPG

250810165825_P1090729.JPG

250810165949_P1090735.JPG

Cheers

Olli

JanSolo

Practically Family
Olli, that's not a bad fit at all!! Nice M422a! The sleeves and body could benefit from an additional inch of leather but apart from that it looks excellent. Can't wait to see some new stuff at the "Omma&Oppa Inn".

Edward

Bartender
I have an Aero AN6552. It's much the same fit as Olli's M422a; definitely much neater than an A2. Mine is my own size, a 42R... I bought it used, on eBay; if I had the option to try one on in person, I'd have been tempted to try the 44 as well. I suspect the 44 would have fitted similarly to my ELC 42 A2. Don't get me wrong, the Aero USN jacket is great, but if you don't like your jackets to be neat fitting, you might want to go up a size. If you want to wear a sweater, I'd definitely suggest it. However, as has already been mentioned above, the best person to speak to is Amanda at Aero - she'll be able to advise you on suitable size and fit of all their jackets.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Jan,

yes, you are right. An inch more in body and sleeve. Would be a possible project for the winter.

But before we will have a meeting in the "Kaffeestübchen".

Geschmeidigen Nachmittag wünscht

Oliver

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Been gone a few days, and hey, thanks for the replies everyone.

So, if I measure at about 42, or more specifically around 40 (just about skin-tight), would you recommend that I just go with the size 44 jacket? Also, about these special requests, are these at extra charge, and will they prompt you for them as a part of their service routine, asking specifically if you would like certain options?

Another thing:

JanSolo and Gancho, what is your suit or sport coat size, and what size Aero M422a jacket are you wearing in comparison? Are you both sizing one up from your suit jacket size?

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi J.B.,

I'm 192cm tall and weight is 90 kg. Sorry i do not know my mesurement in inch and pounds.

My european size is 102, that is a long 52. My american size is 42 but the arms and body have to be customised. But do not try to find out what size you need. Call Amanda and ask her. She will find the right size for you.

Some extras you have to pay for, other changing are free. Easiest is to ask Amanda.

Amanda is absolutelly handsome and it is a pleasure to talk to her!

Regards

Oliver

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi JB,
I fully agree with Olli. Don't compare suit sizes and don't try to deduct your correct size for an Aero from that. Get somebody to measure you properly (tailor, girlfriend) and then talk to Amanda.
My Aero is a size 40 with 1 1/2 inches added to both body and sleeves.
I am 6 ft. tall, weigh approx. 155 lbs and my chest measures 39-40 inches. My suit size is 48-50 (38-40), sometimes 96 with sleeves and legs slightly shortened. But then European suits (I prefer Boss) and all other European quality clothing is cut much trimmer than American clothing (I wonder why that's so;) ). At the end of the day it's a bit like comparing apples and pears.

Hope that helps.

CoveredPate

New in Town
I have an Aero Long Half Belt. The style is very similar to a G1/M422. Aero's in general are tight fitting. Go with your full size or even a size higher. Another company to consider is Gibson & Barnes (formerly Flight Suits Ltd). I purchased a G1 from them 20 years ago and it's still in great shape. They have a good reproduction of the M422A and it's much lower priced than the Aero version. Also, you'll get the jacket in a shorter period of time. Orders with Aero take several months versus several weeks. Either way, they're both great companies that provide "the real deal".

The Good

Call Me a Cab
CoveredPate said:
I have an Aero Long Half Belt. The style is very similar to a G1/M422. Aero's in general are tight fitting. Go with your full size or even a size higher. Another company to consider is Gibson & Barnes (formerly Flight Suits Ltd). I purchased a G1 from them 20 years ago and it's still in great shape. They have a good reproduction of the M422A and it's much lower priced than the Aero version. Also, you'll get the jacket in a shorter period of time. Orders with Aero take several months versus several weeks. Either way, they're both great companies that provide "the real deal".

I was considering Gibson and Barnes as an option as well. Might I ask, what is the fit of their G-1 compared to Aero's? Is it any looser? Are there any fit differences between their military and civil models?

I know this isn't about Aero here, necessarily, but they seem to be a good option to go with as well.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
hello,

when i started to interest into leather jackets i bought several jackets from the bay or from collectors. the jackets here very nice but never (only the m422) fitted me exactly. from my point of view it is one of the most important thing that the jacket fits me perfect. for me it is wasting money to have an expensive jacket that is to short arms or to roomy in the body.

at least i ordered direct at AERO and get what i want: a awesome jacket that fit perfect.

if you go for a G&B ask them if you can send back if the jacket does not fit and creep for the right size.

have a nice monday everybody

Olli

JanSolo

Practically Family
I had a G&B G1 a couple of years ago. It was a well made jacket, much better than a Cooper, recent Avirex or Cockpit in terms of workmanship. The fit was more relaxed compared to an Aero of the same size. I ended up selling it because the fit was too loose for my taste and the scratchy poly-wool cuffs and waistband annoyed me. G&B's hides are first quality and absolutely flawless but their goatskin is chrome tanned (vs. veg tanned) and considerably thinner than Aero's goatskin. I like the stiffer veg tanned goat much more as it has a more "historical feel" to it. Also Aero's hide is seal spray finish on light brown base which gives the leather beautiful aging characteristics.
If you are as picky as I am you would also realize that Aero's top stitching is thicker and more accurate than on a G&B. It's clearly visible that the whole jacket's been made by one machinist whereas a G&B looks like it's been made on a (high quality) assembly line. Don't get me wrong...they are among the best American made jackets, but if only the best will do go for a Goodwear, Aero (or Lost Worlds).
Hope that helps...

Edit: No differences in fit between G&B's historical, civilian and military model

right fit ..?

How a jacket fits depends on personal preferences.
I my opinion an A2 or G1 jacket doesn't have to fit tight on the body..
Like those pilots in WW 2 or the Korean war...they flew in thosee jackets zipped up but felt no restriction in their movements.
The same with my Aero halfbelt, A2 and LW G1, zipped up or not, I feel comfortable when wearing them...with shirt, t-shirt or a thin woolen pullover.

JanSolo said:
I had a G&B G1 a couple of years ago. It was a well made jacket, much better than a Cooper, recent Avirex or Cockpit in terms of workmanship. The fit was more relaxed compared to an Aero of the same size. I ended up selling it because the fit was too loose for my taste and the scratchy poly-wool cuffs and waistband annoyed me. G&B's hides are first quality and absolutely flawless but their goatskin is chrome tanned (vs. veg tanned) and considerably thinner than Aero's goatskin. I like the stiffer veg tanned goat much more as it has a more "historical feel" to it. Also Aero's hide is seal spray finish on light brown base which gives the leather beautiful aging characteristics.
If you are as picky as I am you would also realize that Aero's top stitching is thicker and more accurate than on a G&B. It's clearly visible that the whole jacket's been made by one machinist whereas a G&B looks like it's been made on a (high quality) assembly line. Don't get me wrong...they are among the best American made jackets, but if only the best will do go for a Goodwear, Aero (or Lost Worlds).
Hope that helps...

Edit: No differences in fit between G&B's historical, civilian and military model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo