Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Flat Head vs The Real McCoy's: which jacket to choose?

Rich22

Practically Family
I'd have to disagree a little with that... When I look at TFH it's not suitable for a muscular V shape, as the P2P is narrow compared to the wide shoulders. A skinny guy with broad shoulders would suit TFH, perhaps?

Edit: check out the size chart: wide shoulders vs chest... https://rivetandhide.com/the-flat-head-horsehide-rider-s-jacket-classic-collar.html

To fit in one of those jackets I'd need the 44XXL based on my chest size, but the shoulders run 3 inches wider than I have found I need in a leather jacket, plus the opening would be very baggy.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd have to disagree a little with that... When I look at TFH it's not suitable for a muscular V shape, as the P2P is narrow compared to the wide shoulders. A skinny guy with broad shoulders would suit TFH, perhaps?

Edit: check out the size chart: wide shoulders vs chest... https://rivetandhide.com/the-flat-head-horsehide-rider-s-jacket-classic-collar.html

To fit in one of those jackets I'd need the 44XXL based on my chest size, but the shoulders run 3 inches wider than I have found I need in a leather jacket, plus the opening would be very baggy.
Those are weird measurements. A jacket with 21.5” shoulders should have a chest measurement of 50”+. This would be one of the rare (only?) jackets where the shoulders would be too big on me while the chest was too tight

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Those are weird measurements. A jacket with 21.5” shoulders should have a chest measurement of 50”+. This would be one of the rare (only?) jackets where the shoulders would be too big on me while the chest was too tight

Totally agree. Based off this chart, I would fall between a "40" and a "42". Odd even more that the back length goes up 1.25" between a 40 and a 42 - from 25.75 to 27"!! Yet the sleeve length only goes from 25.25 to 25.5" The shoulder goes from 19.25 to 20.25" which is not that much, but as you indicate the 44 goes up to 21.5" That's a massive increase.

racepunter

New in Town
The RMC jacket looks great. The Flathead jacket has shoulders that appear too wide, which looks a little messy in comparison, IMO.

At that price point you'd expect an exceptional jacket, and honestly, I'd want a jacket that was custom fit to me.

Yes, if we compare both jackets in size 40, then the RMC has 18.50 for shoulders, but TFH has them already 19.25, which is already a big difference.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Which brands are value ones? Please advice me. Is Freewheelers OK? Any other brands?
Freewheelers costs a pretty penny, but at least you get high quality leather and absolutely flawless construction. Their patterns are pretty intricate and allow for great movement. That is if the patterns are suited for your body type.

If you want 'the best' then Freewheelers is a serious contender. Are they three times as good as Field Leathers (because three times more expensive)? I'd say no. Just like a Rolls-Royce isn't three times as good as a Maybach :)

Superfluous

Which brands are value ones? Please advice me. Is Freewheelers OK? Any other brands?

FW is great, but definitely not a value brand. IMHO, value brands offer sturdy jackets for $500-800. I just looked at the Vanson website -- many durable jackets priced between $450-750. IMHO, that is a value brand. To be clear, I am not advocating value brands. Rather, I was merely acknowledging the prior posters who pointed out the high prices for TFH and RMC jackets as compared to other brands. I personally prefer TFH and RMC at the higher price points, notwithstanding the value considerations. Subjective irrational exuberance.

Rich22

Practically Family
I agree that "value" brands are indeed a lot cheaper than the two main options in this thread. Perhaps costing about half what Aero jackets do. Above Aero you have custom Thedi jackets, that run about 2x the cost of Aero. Freewheelers, RMC and TFH are about 3x the cost of an Aero (or even more, depending on location).

I don’t think Schott or Vanson or even Aero will satisfy the OP’s search as they don’t really offer similar styles. Again, of the two, the incredibly ironically named “Real McCoy” is a better design imho. The measurements seem more sensible and it looks to be a better build all around. Design, cut and hardware.

racepunter

New in Town
Perhaps I will have to abandon TFH as its shoulders are too large for the 40th size.
Now I want to choose Joe McCoy Nelson 30's Sport Jacket or possibly Freewheelers Mulholland as here.

Last edited:

grant

Familiar Face
Here's my trusty old Real McCoy's Steinbeck bought years ago when they had a shop in NYC. Wears like iron and fits me great.

rm.jpg

sweetfights

Across the board each maker has styles that fit certain body types. I was looking at Real McCoy's and found only one style that had the dimensions that fit me. My beloved Freewheelers Mulholland, which fits perfectly, was a 2019 release. The new model of Mulholland recently released would not fit me (sleeves now too short). The trick is finding the right fit. Thankfully there are enough well made jackets that finding the right fit and style is just a matter of time and research; as painful as that process is!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Across the board each maker has styles that fit certain body types. I was looking at Real McCoy's and found only one style that had the dimensions that fit me. My beloved Freewheelers Mulholland, which fits perfectly, was a 2019 release. The new model of Mulholland recently released would not fit me (sleeves now too short). The trick is finding the right fit. Thankfully there are enough well made jackets that finding the right fit and style is just a matter of time and research; as painful as that process is!

Agree here, the black 2021 Mulholland version I have is much trimmer in the sleeve/armhole/shoulder compared to my older Brown Mulholland version

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

This is so true. Flat Head jackets did not fit me when I was more barrel shaped because they were too long and they don't fit me now that I am quite V shaped (42" chest, 30" waist). They are meant for slim people who do have a drop from chest to waist, but have a slim overall body from what I can tell.

racepunter

New in Town
Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would go for the Freewheelers. They just look 100% correct, classic, with a little bit of interesting character. You could happily buy one of these and live in it for many years. Just don't let it out of your sight! :)

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
So, guys, finally I decided to ignore TFH because its shoulders for Size 40 are too large and so this jacket will not fit me well.

Now I want to make my choice between 2 jackets: Joe McCoy Nelson & Freewheelers Mulholland. The both jackets in Size 40 should fit me well.

I was impressed with both jackets after the following posts here on the forum:

1. Nelson.
2. Mulholland.

So, guys, which jacket can you advise?

Can't go wrong with either one. I am partial to the Mulholland having it in black/brown but I do like the Nelson as well so I took design elements of it for my custom FL jacket.

Rich22

Practically Family
Can't go wrong either way. Brilliant jackets. Not sure how I feel about the hookless zippers on both (not for me), or the chain-loop zipper pulls on the hand warmer pockets of the Freewheelers, but that's potentially irrelevant stuff to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko