Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gathering of the Fortresses - Thunder Over Michigan (8.7.10) - Warning PIC HEAVY!

Ruptured Duck™

New in Town
Two weekends ago, I attended the "Gathering of the Fortresses" at Thunder Over Michigan - which was the largest gathering of B-17's in the U.S. (at least that's what they advertised...) I've been meaning to post these pics, but have been busy. I took video as well, but am too lazy to upload...

It's a helluva show. These pics show my predisposition towards B-17's, 25's, and Mustangs. I assure you, if there were Spits there, they would be photographed as well.

dsc01709s.jpg

dsc01711i.jpg

dsc01712e.jpg

dsc01745mp.jpg

dsc01747ry.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ruptured Duck™ said:
The Movie Belle, continued...

dsc01732.jpg

dsc01737r.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.....I'll be posting some pics of my visit to see the U-505 this weekend soon as well!

It's my opinion that the men who climbed down into the ball turret had to have been among the bravest men of the war. I've met one or two when stationed in England and considered it an honor.

I've seen the Belle, also when I was in England at Duxford.

I don't know which one it was, but when I was stationed in Germany in the early '90s I went to a BMW rally in England. While we were gathering for a morning ride I heard the sound of a heavy prop aircraft and looked up, and at first glance thought I was looking at a C-130. Then the angle shifted, and I realized it was a B-17! Made my morning! :D

Wish I could have seen that air show, Duck. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm looking forward to the photos of the U-505!

Cheers,
Tom

Ruptured Duck™

New in Town
Tango Yankee said:
It's my opinion that the men who climbed down into the ball turret had to have been among the bravest men of the war. I've met one or two when stationed in England and considered it an honor.
Tom

Tom, I'm not sure I could fit in the ball turret even if someone offered me a grand to do so. That thing is small and tight!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lowest Casualty Rate

Tango Yankee said:
Tom
A big show of hands, how many of you when you were a kid, [or still], wanted a belly turret that was fully functional? Both my hands are up! There was one at the surplus store next to my parents auto detail shop when I was a kid. It was to much, I think they didn't want to sell it. I did climb into Sentimental Journey's on the ground, defiantly tight! The ball gunner had the lowest casualty rate on both the B-17 and B-24s! Pilots had the highest. Makes sense, my friend ended up with his copilots brains all over him!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou