Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
There's not much I think is ugly, but these have always stood out:

13938_168510459163_624014163_2831095_1472696_n.jpg

Dear Kay, WTH is on your head? That's too much even for *ME*

13938_168510454163_624014163_2831094_7445288_n.jpg

Poor Ann Dvorak. Worst hairdo ever. I strongly dislike 40s-does-Victorian hairdos :eek:

13938_168510449163_624014163_2831093_7315940_n.jpg

I don't know why they always insisted putting Aline MacMahon in hideousness, but they did!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cecil said:

c-Koko.gif

Little known fact: After retiring from cartoons in 1933, Koko The Clown went on to a career as one of Hollywood's top designers.

Meanwhile, poor Aline MacMahon looks like she's ready to don a helmet, mount a horse, and go forth to the field of combat. No doubt in a jousting match with Guy Kibbee.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
The "pen wiper" reminds me of a great book, by a dear family friend..."To Say Nothing of the Dog." And that hat is the exact image I had in my head when I read the book! Too Funny!

ChorusGirl

Familiar Face
Mrs. Merl said:
The "pen wiper" reminds me of a great book, by a dear family friend..."To Say Nothing of the Dog." And that hat is the exact image I had in my head when I read the book! Too Funny!

That's one of my favorite books! I just bought another copy to send to a friend this week... I too thought of the novel when I saw the "pen wiper" hairdo... too funny!

These pictures have been a blast to look at- I need to come on here more often!

Addi :)

zendy

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
c-Koko.gif

Little known fact: After retiring from cartoons in 1933, Koko The Clown went on to a career as one of Hollywood's top designers.
HAHAHA! Oh fabulous, I almost choked on my breakfast!

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
Oh my, some of those are just AWFUL. That Ginger dress is definitely... ridiculous. The most shocking for me, however, was that hideous bridal party. Ugh!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, I thought of something just CREEPY. There was a fashion, I forget when, of fastening a live beetle to your blazer with a chain, so it would kind of crawl all around your jacket but be attached. I think they embellished them somehow too. That counts as ugly and gross. :eek:

RC

New in Town
Mrs. Merl said:

:eek:fftopic:

Wow - Connie Willis is a family friend? Cool!
A little star struck here. She's a major hero of mine!
Mr. RC is friends with a few famous people and he always rolls his eyes at me and points out that everybody has to have friends/family - even the famous. But I always found that 6 degrees game kind of thrilling. :eek:

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
If anyone watches Top Model, there was an episode a few years ago where the models had to walk for designer Jared Gold. He is amazing, I love his work. He had them walk with bejeweled live cockroaches on chains, worn as living brooches. He is very influenced by the Edwardian and Victorian eras... so I'm wondering if that idea came from back then?

Blondie

Practically Family
Paisley said:
...top this:

shanghai02

shanghaigesture.jpg

From the movie "Shanghai Gesture," 1941.
Got to love eye putty !!! sorry i know we are supposed to be talking about clothes, but eye putty gets me everytime HAAAAAAAAAAAAlol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Ok, I thought of something just CREEPY. There was a fashion, I forget when, of fastening a live beetle to your blazer with a chain, so it would kind of crawl all around your jacket but be attached. I think they embellished them somehow too. That counts as ugly and gross. :eek:

People have been doing that for millennia, in Egypt and in Mexico! It is sad.

That Ginger Rogers dress is even more awful when you realize it is QUILTED! Adds pounds even to tiny Ginger! Of course, she is playing a ridiculous fake-countess character, but still, yuk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112