Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
dhermann1, sorry to disappoint, but it looks like what I would wear, especially the striped tunic! lol
NEAT. Now I have an excuse to wear my stripey socks with saddle shoes :D

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
I adore ribbons and bows, even big ones, and round collars, but for some reason this doesn't appeal to me... or does it?
1956_october_31_natalie_wood.jpg

Natalie Wood 1956

Ha! Now that's what I call carefully executed Studio planning! If Nat was going to be seen with the King, there would be absolutely NOTHING for the gyromaniac to look up, down, or through. She's wrapped up as tightly as her image was back then.

Barbigirl

Practically Family

Idledame said:
This is the wrong era, (it's 1983), but it is soooo bad maybe it can be an honorable member of this thread. Could it be a joke? I know I didn't wear anything like that in 1983!
6a00d83451ccbc69e2012875918911970c-400wi

This reminds me of a variation of a dress that Princess Diana wore once. At least I hope after she saw the paprazzi photo she only wore it once.

DandyRags

New in Town
Tried to salvage a maternity dress gone bad!

Barbigirl said:
This reminds me of a variation of a dress that Princess Diana wore once. At least I hope after she saw the paprazzi photo she only wore it once.

This will hide a multitude of figure issues lol

Christy

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
frightening.jpg

In That's Entertainment III, Debbie Reynolds tells how the original version of Two Faced Woman was performed by Cyd Charisse in The Band Wagon, a musical of the same year, but was cut for time. Comparing the two would make you cry (if seeing Joan in blackface didn't already!)

Eeek! :eek: I haven't seen this movie, but this photo from it is not attractive at all! I've never been fond of Joan Crawford's appearance though so I might be judging it quite harshly.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christy said:
Eeek! :eek: I haven't seen this movie, but this photo from it is not attractive at all! I've never been fond of Joan Crawford's appearance though so I might be judging it quite harshly.

She was gorgeous in the early 30s, but became a caricature of herself as time went on. But that Blackface thing is wrong on so many levels.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
She was gorgeous in the early 30s, but became a caricature of herself as time went on. But that Blackface thing is wrong on so many levels.

I haven't actually seen her in the 1930's, just in her later years. I've only seen one of her movies, 'Autumn Leaves' and I thought it was just ok. I'll have to find some of her earlier work.

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:

I agree. I do like some of her older, campy movies (I love campy!), but my favorite Joan movies are the ones from the early 40s and before. She was really glamorous in the 30s! Just seeing that Blackface capture gives me the creeps...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:

I agree! Personally, I never found her stunningly beautiful, but when she was young, especially in the 20's and 30's, she was an attractive lady:

JoanCrawford.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Christy said:
Wow, she is pretty, thanks for the photo c-dot. Why did she change her eyebrows? I think that's what bothers me about her look.

I know! Like Betty Draper said: "I don't understand her eyebrows. They're like huge caterpillars."

Did she think it would make her more youthful? Whatever it was, she thought wrong, if she went from this:

crawforda.jpg

To this:
AdAccessJoanCrawfordClairol1952.jpg

Her "Crawford smear" got larger, too!

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I think Joan still looked pretty in the 1940's. I just watched "A woman's face" (1941) and thought she was luminous. She had such emotion in her eyes. There was a sadness in those eyes. I agree the blackface picture is atrocious and extremely wrong. I think what happened to Joan has happened to many great actresses as they get older, their acting opportunities get very limited and they are forced to take what they can get to stay in the job they love. I prefer to remember the Joan from Mildred Pierce at her acting best.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love Joan no matter what. She ain't bad in the Hollywood Revue -- but then again I have a tenderness for clunky early musicals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart