Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The good boots

Slytherin

New in Town
Hello

I've red a lot of blog and book about 40s but i've a essential question... What is the good boot for a 40s winter look ? what is your point of view ?

BlameOnMame

New in Town
Ive been having a very similar problem. So far Im thinking Oxfords would be decent for winter, but i want to figure out some boots too.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think I would go for a waterproofed cordovan leather eight-eye boot with no obviously modern bits of Gore-Tex or whatever on them and preferably a classic sole.

I would be comfortable wearing these with either a high-waisted slacks or a long skirt, though I don't much care for eight-eye boots with shorter skirts, rather too punky for me. But with tights and a long skirt? Yes!

Cordovan just because I find it a fairly easy-going color, especially with a winter wardrobe. I think even if I was going with a non-laceup boot I would look for it. It's warm but not strident.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know - or better yet, have pictures - if Golden Era ladies wore knee high boots? I can't remember if they did or not.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Slytherin said:
sporto are great !!! I think i will search some boots in this spirit ! with fur because i have always cold feet...

Mine actually have a faux fur lining, and instead of a turned cuff at the top, they just have a little of the lining showing. And not having the turned cuff, they are a little snugger to the ankle, for what I think is a more vintage look.
They look quite a bit like those Massey boots on this thread, only the heel is much more squared off.
Mine are called Emily, but I was having trouble finding pics.
Sporto may not be making them anymore, but I don't know...

SayCici

Practically Family
C-dot said:
Does anyone know - or better yet, have pictures - if Golden Era ladies wore knee high boots? I can't remember if they did or not.
I've never seen any catalogs advertising them. I think, especially during war time, there would have been too much of a shortage of or ration on leather to make such high boots. I think it was more common just to wear galoshes.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
We've had a lot of threads on this over the years and the general consensus is that they didn't really do boots back then, just galoshes as Cici says. But it's possible to find boots that slightly resemble galoshes - the ones Inky posted are great! I like these from Melissa:

http://www.shudoo.co.uk/P~MEL-ASBK~Melissa+Ashanti+-+Black

The heel is 'wrong' of course, but the v cut in the front is nice - my granny had some shoes like that that would have been deemed 'shoe boots' these days. I have some like that myself already but they have 4 1/2 inch heels so aren't practical for walking about a lot in! And they aren't waterproof like the Melissa ones.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
SayCici said:
I've never seen any catalogs advertising them. I think, especially during war time, there would have been too much of a shortage of or ration on leather to make such high boots. I think it was more common just to wear galoshes.

There were high *work* boots for women -- generally brown leather, moc or cap toe, lace-up boots, some of which came pretty high up the calf. These were intended for the most part for farm women to wear during heavy chores -- they looked more like a military service boot than a fashion item, and you wouldn't likely ever see them on a city gal. However, you might well see high *riding* boots on an upper-class city woman, worn as part of the full equestrian costume while on a riding trail in the park.

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
These are from a Fall/Winter 1946-1947 Montgomery Ward catalog I just received today. (It is so fantastic!)

IMG_0726.jpg
[/IMG]

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Women wore lace-up knee boots and also riding boots for sport from the 20s through the 40s:

19352galsoutside.JPG

But as far as fashion footwear is concerned, the short dresses of the 20s put the boot out of style. Galoshes or over-shoes were used in winter to protect the shoes and to keep the feet dry. It was not until the late 50s, and the advent of needle heels that boots came back for women. The tiny heels of the stilettos kept poking through the rubber galoshes, so makers made great looking ankle boots with stiletto heels.

It was not until the mid 60s and the mod look that knee boots became a fashion item.

I learned this from Jonathan Walford's fantastic book, The Seductive Shoe.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
fuzzylizzie said:
It was not until the mid 60s and the mod look that knee boots became a fashion item.
I learned this from Jonathan Walford's fantastic book, The Seductive Shoe.

Just as I thought! I recalled high work or equestrian boots, but they were, of course, not for fashionable purposes.

Thanks ladies - Great pictures, too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24