Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My entry for the Melbourne Lord Mayor's Creative Writing Competition, 2011, is finally complete!

Sending it in next week. Wish me luck for the $6,000 prize!

Also: I bought a blue silk tie today for $2 which perfectly matches a blue waistcoat and sport-jacket I have.

rue

Congratulations!!!!! :)

My good news: FINALLY, I've got a job interview! lol

My entry for the Melbourne Lord Mayor's Creative Writing Competition, 2011, is finally complete!

Sending it in next week. Wish me luck for the $6,000 prize!

Also: I bought a blue silk tie today for $2 which perfectly matches a blue waistcoat and sport-jacket I have.

Good luck to both of you :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Rue. It's a murder-mystery set in 1933.

I don't suppose you'd share more about it with us??? ;)

Oh yes... please do :D

I started writing it last year actually. I did it for a university assignment, but the limits of the assignment meant that I had to leave most of the story on the cutting-room floor. The limit for the LMCWC (in the 'novella' category), which I'm entering, is 20,000 words. More than enough to stretch my legs and write the story I wanted to! So I gave it my best shot and went for broke.

It's a mix of subgenres. Part hardboiled detective, part manor-house murder-mystery.

It takes place in December, 1933. An American private detective, deciding he needs a break from his work, sails to England to spend Christmas with a friend. The ship in the story is the R.M.S Aquitania. This one:

Aquitania_06.jpg

I picked it because it was one of the longest-serving ocean-liners ever (nearly 50 years) and it was from a famous shipping-line (Cunard).

Anyway, I digress.

The detective's name is Richard Haines. He arrives in Southampton on the Aquitania and he's met by an old university friend, James Holloway, with whom he planned to spend Christmas with in London. James tells him that their plans have been changed and that one of James's friends has invited them to his country estate for a Christmas & New Years' Party. They arrive there on Christmas Eve in time for dinner.

After dinner while everyone is freshening up, the lady of the house stumbles on a dead body in the library. One of the guests has, obviously, been murdered. With winter snow making communication with the local police-station impossible, Richard has to solve the crime by himself as fast as he can, because the killer is still in the house.

I had a number of challenges with this story. It's my FIRST attempt ever, at writing a detective story. At least, one that made any damn sense! I was trying my best to avoid cliches (the killer's name in mirror-image on a sheet of blotting paper, for example) I made doubly-triply-quadruply sure that all the facts and theories and pieces of evidence tied together and I hope to god that the identity of the killer isn't obvious until the very last minute! I reckon I pulled it off convincingly.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys. I've finished giving it its final once-over. I'd rather not monopolise another thread. Is there somewhere on the Lounge that I can put it?

olive bleu

One Too Many
this is a wonderful Thread..Congratulations to all of you that have had some terrific things happen in your lives,,Engagements, new jobs, job interviews, ..the new piano..this thread has made my day :)

My good news is that my husband is alive and well today. After years of battling some pretty serious health issues, 2 weeks ago i received a call at work that he was rushed to the hospital by ambulance..the belief was that he was having a heart attack.After 2 weeks in the hospital, he is finally home, and the good news is that it wasn't actually a heart attack. he does have a serious heart condition which he is being medicated for but at least he is alive and back home :)

oh..and i'll add to that that i am extremely grateful for the generous medical benefits i have though work which pays for the ambulance ride and the lions share of his medical bills :)

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My good news is that my husband is alive and well today. After years of battling some pretty serious health issues, 2 weeks ago i received a call at work that he was rushed to the hospital by ambulance..the belief was that he was having a heart attack.After 2 weeks in the hospital, he is finally home, and the good news is that it wasn't actually a heart attack. he does have a serious heart condition which he is being medicated for but at least he is alive and back home :)

Great news! :)

Here it is, in the Reading Room: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?58308-Bloody-Christmas-Competition-Entry-Piece

..and off I go to take a look! lol

Criticism, feedback, questions, comments etc, all welcome.

rue

this is a wonderful Thread..Congratulations to all of you that have had some terrific things happen in your lives,,Engagements, new jobs, job interviews, ..the new piano..this thread has made my day :)

oh..and i'll add to that that i am extremely grateful for the generous medical benefits i have though work which pays for the ambulance ride and the lions share of his medical bills :)

I'm so happy for you that he's home. That really is good news :)

Cricket

Practically Family
My good news today is that my hubby ordered The Pacific for us to watch. It should be here in five days, and I am really excited to take in this (what I have heard) excellent series over the next few weeks.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
More good news about Ms. Irene. The morning’s model runs put her center passing just east of Hatteras as a strong category three. Not so good for the folks on Hatteras Island, but very good for the folks here in New Bern. Our local forecasters are now saying that Saturday will only be "devastating" or "life changing" and not "catastrophic" and "epic", as was earlier predicted.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21