Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

Blackjack

One Too Many
I made a new friend this week!!!!:)
Played an awesome gig under the stars on a perfect night, dedicated an awesome song, and ate double-yyy awesome ham & swiss French crepes with a baked parmesan topping!

rue

I made a new friend this week!!!!:)
Played an awesome gig under the stars on a perfect night, dedicated an awesome song, and ate double-yyy awesome ham & swiss French crepes with a baked parmesan topping!

It's always good to make friends :D

Sounds like a great evening..... lucky person that had the song dedicated to them :)

Oh and now I'm hungry.... thanks :p

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Last Thursday after a lot of stress (thanks to my college losing a vital piece of paperwork back in January) and telephoning solidly for three hours I managed to secure a university place at the University of Lincoln to study law.

Laudo et labor omnia vincit in lex. :eusa_clap:cheers1:

James71

A-List Customer
It's been a great week here in the mountains. I've successfully negotiated a better contract at the cafe I play in on Wednesday nights. Picked up two gigs in the next two weeks for private functions. One playing Texas blues drinking music for soldiers and another playing acoustic at the opening of an art exhibition. Nothing like a good dichotomy to keep me on my toes!

And now I'm in the hattery having a friand and coffee with my little girl.

(I was just informed that the acorn homburgs are on their way!)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi LMH,

I have never worn braces before. This is the first time. I've read so much about how they feel better and are more comfortable and look better and etc etc. I saw a pair for sale at a shop for a pittance, but they were in a fairly sorry state (but not unsalvagable). I bought them, took them home and spent the day repairing them. They're now in working condition. I don't have any trousers which are meant for braces, so what I did was I took an old shirt which doesn't fit me anymore (and if it doesn't fit me, it sure as hell won't fit anyone else. I'm a tiny bugger) and I cut off the required amount of buttons (in this case, six).

I then sewed them onto the INSIDE of the trousers waistband in the following configuration:

Front: One pair either side of the fly, about 2 inches off-center.
Back: One pair in the middle of the back, either side of the label.

Then I tested it out, adjusted the clips and everything works great! Now to find more buttons for my other trousers!

But to answer your question...at long last...No, I do not leave extra thread on the buttons. I find if I do this (with any buttons, not just these), then it's easier for the thread to snap and the buttons will just fall off faster. As a result, I always sew my buttons on nice and tight. Everything works fine, though.

I used regular shirt-buttons for my braces, but I guess you could in theory use anything (since nobody will ever see them), so long as they're all the same size and style.

Photos of my little sartorial adventure are below...With waistcoat:

IMG_0294.jpg

Without waistcoat:

IMG_0292.jpg

God I have to do something about my facial expressions...

Wow, thanks for the info and you look great!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
So things are much the same in Toronto there as they are here in New Bern. There’s a law license hanging on my wall, but my paralegal actually does all that gets done around here. Without her, I probably would go back to work as a deck hand on a shrimp trawler, or mow grass or do something else of the like that I’m capable of handling on my own.

AF

I have my J.D. but after spending a mere few years being exposed to the court systems and finding it all far too muddy, decided to head into business and am actually far happier with the success rewarded to me by that choice.

I do agree, a good staff with paralegals and investigators makes a world of difference within a law practice.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I visited the University of Lincoln on Thursday, where I will in all likelihood be studying law for the next three years, and I have two pieces of good news. Firstly, whilst the University of Lincoln is very modern (opened 1997) and lacks the reputation many of our other universities have, I could quite feasibly do my postgraduate in the University of York (which is only one rung below Oxford and Cambridge in prestige if that means anything to the non-UK loungers).

Secondly, I was able to find some very cheap but extremely good accommodation despite nearly everything being taken. Rather than paying £100 a week which I would have to at the university's accommodation I will only have to pay £62 (including heating, water, gas and telephone bills) for a huge room in a house I share with three other very pleasant tenants.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
There is more than one legal System in The UK and it is minefield to use UK as a generality for them.
That's correct, though it appears that the boundaries between the different types of "lawyers" is being blurred and may disappear altogether in the next few decades. Previously a barrister could not liase directly with their clients, now they can. Similarly a solicitor could not appear in a Crown Court (criminal court to the Americans) yet now they can become a "solicitor advocate" giving them the right of audience to appear in a Crown and High Court. I hope that eventually there will just be one simple "lawyer" title rather than these rather antiquated distinctions. I also hope that the court system can be simplified as there are far to many different types of courts with Magistrates, Country (civil), Crown, High, Appeal, Supreme etc. Too much complication in the law and the judiciary simply leads to excessive bureaucracy in my opinion.

scooter

Practically Family
Hey Blackjack, you kind look like Russel Crowe in your avatar!'

My good news, after 2 days of 100+ heat and no air conditioning at home, I think we finally have successfully repaired the system. It is actually COOLING down in here!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hey Blackjack, you kind look like Russel Crowe in your avatar!'

My good news, after 2 days of 100+ heat and no air conditioning at home, I think we finally have successfully repaired the system. It is actually COOLING down in here!

I said Richard Burton :) Congrats on the A/C!

A U.S. company, based in Georgia, is exporting American-made chopsticks to China. Really.

That is fascinating! Globalization in action.

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've always fancied myself more the Dennis the Menace type, but thanks. Being without AC really sucks when your used to having it. I can take the heat all day but at night if it's hot I can't sleep at all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy