Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wow! What a variety of good news! Congratulations to all!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Some are monumentally life-changing, some are simply happy things, all reminders that despite all the gloom and doom out there joy is all around us. I like it. :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I assume they're twins, right??

News Today: I successfully repaired a pair of suspenders I bought from the local thrift-shop for $4 and sewed buttons onto my trousers. Now I can finally wear my trousers without a belt! No longer shall I feel like sausages!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It should be for everyone to find one wee bit of good news to be uplifting life daily. Good news for me is having both my business ventures going without having any mishaps, finding the right sources for materials and not having to borrow or run a line of credit on anything I do. That and having the time to spend with my Wife and spoil her to death as she deserves the best, and to have my Children (both grown and getting into their thirties now) stopping over to just say hello.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I assume they're twins, right??

News Today: I successfully repaired a pair of suspenders I bought from the local thrift-shop for $4 and sewed buttons onto my trousers. Now I can finally wear my trousers without a belt! No longer shall I feel like sausages!!
I have some great looking braces and only a few pair of pants to wear them on. Now after reading this about what you are doing, (sewing buttons on pants for use of suspenders), I am going to get some buttons and fix up more of my pants for use of the suspenders. Do you give the thread a bit of extra length between your pants and the back sides of the buttons to make it easier for the ends of the suspenders to go over the buttons?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have some great looking braces and only a few pair of pants to wear them on. Now after reading this about what you are doing, (sewing buttons on pants for use of suspenders), I am going to get some buttons and fix up more of my pants for use of the suspenders. Do you give the thread a bit of extra length between your pants and the back sides of the buttons to make it easier for the ends of the suspenders to go over the buttons?

Hi LMH,

I have never worn braces before. This is the first time. I've read so much about how they feel better and are more comfortable and look better and etc etc. I saw a pair for sale at a shop for a pittance, but they were in a fairly sorry state (but not unsalvagable). I bought them, took them home and spent the day repairing them. They're now in working condition. I don't have any trousers which are meant for braces, so what I did was I took an old shirt which doesn't fit me anymore (and if it doesn't fit me, it sure as hell won't fit anyone else. I'm a tiny bugger) and I cut off the required amount of buttons (in this case, six).

I then sewed them onto the INSIDE of the trousers waistband in the following configuration:

Front: One pair either side of the fly, about 2 inches off-center.
Back: One pair in the middle of the back, either side of the label.

Then I tested it out, adjusted the clips and everything works great! Now to find more buttons for my other trousers!

But to answer your question...at long last...No, I do not leave extra thread on the buttons. I find if I do this (with any buttons, not just these), then it's easier for the thread to snap and the buttons will just fall off faster. As a result, I always sew my buttons on nice and tight. Everything works fine, though.

I used regular shirt-buttons for my braces, but I guess you could in theory use anything (since nobody will ever see them), so long as they're all the same size and style.

Photos of my little sartorial adventure are below...With waistcoat:

IMG_0294.jpg

Without waistcoat:

IMG_0292.jpg

God I have to do something about my facial expressions...

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am totally ready for my classes to start next week. Photocopying: done. Class totally constructed on our learning management system. Lectures: done. Movies: ordered and about to be delivered. I just need to pick up donuts and juice the morning of Monday classes.

Oh, and our electrician is coming to change our electrical service over to 200 amps and replace our breaker box on Friday. We've been waiting for that for a while.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
Last Thursday after a lot of stress (thanks to my college losing a vital piece of paperwork back in January) and telephoning solidly for three hours I managed to secure a university place at the University of Lincoln to study law. After a three year undergraduate degree it's only a one year postgraduate course and two years work experience with a law firm until I can become a solicitor (in the UK lawyers are split into solicitors and barristers), so I'm prepared for the first step towards my future career.

In England and Wales, "lawyer" is used loosely to refer to a broad variety of law-trained persons. It includes practitioners such as barristers, solicitors, legal executives and licensed conveyancers, ; and people who are involved with the law but do not practise it on behalf of individual clients, such as judges, court clerks, and drafters of legislation.
In Scotland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man Lawyers are always solicitors or barristers.
There is more than one legal System in The UK and it is minefield to use UK as a generality for them.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
There is more than one legal System in The UK and it is minefield to use UK as a generality for them.

Weeell, to be fair, it's difficult to explain all of that in one breath. It's not an inaccurate generality either, especially when explaining to North Americans. "Lawyer" is an official title, and they are both barristers and solicitors.

I understand because when I say that I'm a Paralegal, most everyone will think I'm the pleb who works under a lawyer, but I'm actually recognized by my Law Society and am allowed to independently practise law (though in a limited scope.)

Last edited:
C-dot said:
I understand because when I say that I'm a Paralegal, most everyone will think I'm the pleb who works under a lawyer, but I'm actually recognized by my Law Society and am allowed to independently practise law (though in a limited scope.)

Is a Law Society like the Bar Association in the United States? I could be wrong but I believe a paralegal can do things such as wills and divorces. It sounds like an interesting field. I knew somebody who's about my age. Up until a few years ago she was a stay at home mom. Then when her kids were older she went back to school and now she's a paralegal.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
...when I say that I'm a Paralegal, most everyone will think I'm the pleb who works under a lawyer, but I'm actually recognized by my Law Society and am allowed to independently practise law (though in a limited scope.)

So things are much the same in Toronto there as they are here in New Bern. There’s a law license hanging on my wall, but my paralegal actually does all that gets done around here. Without her, I probably would go back to work as a deck hand on a shrimp trawler, or mow grass or do something else of the like that I’m capable of handling on my own.

AF

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Is a Law Society like the Bar Association in the United States?

Sort of. We have the Canadian Bar Association, and then each province has its own Law Society to regulate its professionals within it. Mine is the Law Society of Upper Canada (though I never understood why Ontario gets to be Upper Canada while all the other provinces use their own names lol)

A paralegal with the LSUC cannot do family law, or wills and estates. We can practice in certain areas of criminal law; small claims court; traffic law; and administrative tribunals. I do civil lit, myself.

So things are much the same in Toronto there as they are here in New Bern. There’s a law license hanging on my wall, but my paralegal actually does all that gets done around here. Without her, I probably would go back to work as a deck hand on a shrimp trawler, or mow grass or do something else of the like that I’m capable of handling on my own.

AF

It's nice to know we're appreciated :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana