Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
My favorites almost all come from our local neighborhood brewery - Rahr & Sons Brewery here in Fort Worth's Near Southside. Of all their great beers, my favorite is the flagship of the line:

2795810121_9160d994e9_o.jpg

The mighty Stormcloud IPA. From the Stormcloud page:

During a fierce storm on his voyage across the ocean, William Rahr could be heard yelling from the tall masted ship: "Roll on old sea! And when you are done, when the storm clouds have destroyed themselves, we will still be standing and drinking!" Today, we have created the ultimate ale for a voyage such as this: A German-Style IPA - a traditional India Pale Ale with German Influence.

And from Wikipedia:

Stormcloud IPA is an India Pale Ale, a popular style among American craft breweries. What is unusual about Stormcloud IPA, however, is the use of German noble hops, German malts and Kölsch ale yeast to imbue the style with Fritz Rahr's own German brewing heritage (American IPAs are typically brewed with American hop styles and other varieties of ale yeast). Likewise, the beer is marketed with a German heritage backstory that reinforces this stylistic hybridity. "Stormcloud" is English for the German Sturmwolke, the name of the ship that carried brewer-ancestor William Rahr to the New World.

rumblefish

One Too Many
brylcreem boy said:
Good deal Rumblefish, I have a friend who's opening a few liquor stores and he's trying to order it for me today.. so what others were your favs???

The five I always keep around (or try to); 90 minute IPA, 120 minute IPA, Golden Era Pilsner, Midas Touch, and World Wide Stout. The two IPAs are typically American; bitter, citrusey, flowery but well above the average. Golden Era is a nice and dry Pils "the way Pilsner use to be made before prohibition". Midas Touch is bit unusual in that it's made with saffron and muscat grapes but still tastes very much like a beer should. And World Wide Stout- the strongest smoothest stout I've ever had <this is the one that started me on Dogfish Head!
I hope you get a chance to try.
Enjoy!:)

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
I am having trouble finding "Copper Ridge" from Metropolitan Brewery. Sampled it AleFest 2008/Chicago & it's tasty!

Kermez

A-List Customer
  1. Samuel Adams Winter Brew
  2. Samuel Adams Holiday Porter
  3. Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig
  4. Samuel Adams Octoberfest
  5. Fuller's London Porter
  6. Fuller's ESB
  7. Wychwood's Hobgoblin
  8. Sierra Nevada Stout
  9. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  10. Sierra Nevada Porter

I was just over at the Stuffed Sandwhich in San Gabriel here is Southern California and they have 8 brews on tap from the awesome Stone Brewing Company down by San Diego way. They had around 4 of the different anniversary ales on tap doing what would be called in the wine world a Vertical. I had the 2006 Anniversary IPA and it was stunningly good.

Sam at the Stuffed Sandwhich is the only beer guy I know that has the where-with-all and facility to store kegs of the heavy duty brews to age for later consumption allowing for vertical tastings.

rumblefish

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I was just over at the Stuffed Sandwhich in San Gabriel here is Southern California and they have 8 brews on tap from the awesome Stone Brewing Company down by San Diego way. They had around 4 of the different anniversary ales on tap doing what would be called in the wine world a Vertical. I had the 2007 Anniversary IPA and it was stunningly good.

Sam at the Stuffed Sandwich is the only beer guy I know that has the where-with-all and facility to store kegs of the heavy duty brews to age for later consumption allowing for vertical tastings.

Lucky Duck!!!:)

Their '07 was the 11th Anniversary Black IPA or IBA. Right?

Did the vertical go up to the new 12th Anniversary? I just picked up two 22 oz. bottles. I didn't try any yet.

I think I saw an article in Imbibe Magazine that mentioned The Stuffed Sandwich.:cool:

rumblefish said:
Lucky Duck!!!:) Did the vertical go up to the new 12th Anniversary? I just picked up two 22 oz. bottles. I think I saw an article in Imbibe Magazine that mentioned The Stuffed Sandwich.:cool:

Here's the Stuffed Sandwich intitial list of brews, this doesn't indicate what will go on when a keg blows though.
Here's Our 2008 STONE BREWING DAYS Line-up:

STONE 7TH ANNIVERSARY - PALE ALE '2003' ~ U.S.A.

STONE 8TH ANNIVERSARY - LEE'S MILD '2004 ~ U.S.A.

STONE 9TH ANNIVERSARY - HEAT SEEKING WHEAT '2005~ U.S.A.

STONE 10TH ANNIVERSARY - IPA '2006' ~ U.S.A.

STONE 11TH ANNIVERSARY - BLACK IPA '2007' ~ U.S.A.

STONE 12TH ANNIVERSARY - '2008' ~ U.S.A.
'BITTER CHOCOLATE OATMEAL STOUT'

STONE CALI - BELGIQUE IPA '2008' ~ U.S.A.
(Stone's newest brew!)

STONE SMOKED PORTER '2008 ~ U.S.A.

STONE ARROGANT ba***rd '2008' ~ U.S.A.

I had the 2006- 10th my boo-boo!

During the course of the year Sam gets calls from the brewers themselves looking for stuff they don't have in their library any more.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Erie Brewing Company's Rail Bender Ale. A lovely mellow porter that'll knock your socks off if you aren't careful:
Railbender_small.jpg

Great Lakes Brewing Company Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. A complex bittersweet porter:
EdmungFitz_BottleGlass.jpg

Great Lakes Brewing company also has a stout beer that is aged in bourbon casks that it phenominal. I can't remember the name of it though.

Straub. No sugar. No preservatives. No hangover. No kidding. A refreshing crisp light beer that still has plenty of flavor. Perfect ice cold on a hot day.
straub.jpg

Penn Brewery. Can't decide if I like their pilsner or oktoberfest better.
penn_brewery_logo_beer_index_htm.gif

Mmmm beer.

tortswon

Practically Family
What was I thinking?

Greetings all! I just found this thread, although I have been hanging around here for several months. I spent a couple of hours reading the entire thread and I am really impressed by the depth of knowledge of the participants. Although I am a trial lawyer by profession, I also serve as Project Director for the Center for the Study of Wine and Food at a university here in Philly.

When I had time, I used to homebrew and was VP of our local club. We had a number of members who went on to open exciting and wonderful breweries including Victory in Downingtown, Philadelphia Brewing in Philly, Flying Fish in Jersey, Troegs in Harrisburg, etc.

I see that Dogfish Head is popular with many of the posters here. I've known the owners of Dogfish Head for many years and I think they make some really interesting and delicious beers.

If anyone is coming to Philly, I highly recommend the Monks Cafe which is owned by Tom Peters and Fergus Carey (a/k/a Fergie). The food is great and they have the finest assortment of Belgian Beers this side of Kulminator in Antwerp (my favorite beer bar in the Milky Way).

I am going to Paso Robles in a few weeks. Anyone have any suggestions of places to eat and/or beers to try? Thanks, Sam

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
thanks, rumble...i finally made it...
anyone have any suggestions for really good mexican beer?
i've had the regulars...corona, dos equis(which i really like), negra modelo...

SamMarlowPI said:
thanks, rumble...i finally made it...
anyone have any suggestions for really good mexican beer?
i've had the regulars...corona, dos equis(which i really like), negra modelo...

Bohemia- it is a pilsner type beer with a nice balance of malt and hops plus the hops have a floral scent that is lovely.

Most of the mexican brews are quite tangy in their hopping. Carta Blanca is an old brand, enjoyed by John Steinbeck.

tortswon

Practically Family
Paso Robles recommendations

Greetings all! I am looking for recommendations for where my wife and I should hang out while in Paso Robles at the beginning of October. Good restaurants, wine and beer bars are top priorities. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sam

tortswon

Practically Family
Paso Robles

I understand that the Zins are quite fine. The area is also known for its Rhone varietals so I am going to be enjoying a few of those too.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
In my mind, as a faithful beer drinker, one of the great gifts that this blessed US of A has given the ale-lovin' world is the hoppy American pale ale.

So, I vote for Victory HopDevil. Bliss in a brown bottle, y'all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner