Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
Nogne O India Pale Ale

Chris you may be interested to know that Nøgne Ø won a gold medal at the world beer awards the other day for its Dark Horizon dark lager. Their Porter won a silver as well.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Chris you may be interested to know that Nøgne Ø won a gold medal at the world beer awards the other day for its Dark Horizon dark lager. Their Porter won a silver as well.

I haven't picked up the Dark Horizon yet, but the Porter was one of the first I tried from them. No surprise on it's winning a medal.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I still haven't tried the Porter, might have to pick one up later to go with the steak for dinner.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I really must try some more of "Nøgne Ø", instead of drinking only imported. Why go over the river to fetch water, as we say in the land of "Nøgne Ø".!

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
:cheers1:

And Happy St Georges day.

The perfect excuse for a pint of English bitter. Living in south London i'm partial to a pint of Youngs. They have a fantastic range of seasonal ales and i'm looking forward to their Waggledance now the weather is picking up, a lovely summer ale with a taste of honey.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Jake, I'm with you there, I'm very partial to English Bitters

There's a piece on the BBC World Service right as I type this on St George's Day

I'll have a pint later in honour of it.

rumblefish

One Too Many
JEVER The Friesland Pilsner.
I've been stocking this one for about two years now. I had one last night and it reminded to post about it. Ultra dry, like parching some say, and hoppy. Verging on bitter but not like a pale ale, and devoid of sweetness. My most consumed pilsner.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like wonderful pils Chris, I'm going to see if I can hunt some down.

Getting very pils weather here, we've had sunny days for the last week, and the temperature is now hitting around 18 (admittedly that's in the full sun) so lots of Norwegians having been having their first proper "utepils", which is having a beer outside. Me being a Kiwi (and we have to sit outside no matter what the temperature), I've been drinking beer outside since the middle of winter :D

rumblefish

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I can also recommend Fullers 1845, Brakespear Triple (neither of these for the faint of heart!!) and St Peters Cream Stout and St Peters Best Bitter.

bk

A friend of mine received a case of Fullers London Pride as a tip. Fortunately for me he's a Smirnoff Ice drinker.:D

The only time I tried St. Peters it was their Golden Ale, and I think I wound up with a bad bottle (a bit sour and almost flat). You've reminded me to give them a second try.

Over the weekend I opened a bottle of Legacy's Hoptimus Prime. Like most other Double IPAs it had the flowery grapefruit taste. Good, but nothing remarkable.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Mill Street organic

If you can find this beer in your area, I really recommend it. It is delicious!!
tent-front.jpg

Or if you are ever visiting the Toronto area, ask for it. It's made by a micro-brewery just outside of the city.

rumblefish said:
The only time I tried St. Peters it was their Golden Ale, and I think I wound up with a bad bottle (a bit sour and almost flat). You've reminded me to give them a second try.

Yeah, it probably shouldn't be sour. Not how i remember it.

As for the Pride, it's good in a pinch (i.e. nothing else available, like my local pub) but not a favourite. Give the 1845 a go. It'll git ye stinkin', as they say.

bk

rumblefish

One Too Many
My cousin brought over a bottle of Allagash Curieux last Saturday.
http://www.allagash.com/curieux.htm
Everything I've had from Allagash was Belgian style, and very good. This one here is a triple, aged in Bourbon barrels and definitely picking up flavors of the whiskey. Not quite a Boiler Maker though;). Expensive, but I'd get it again.

I had a Firestone Ale that I had not had before, or at least not under this moniker. The bottle was Firestone Union Jack IPA. I thought it was really a good rendition of an India Pale Ale, fine balance of Hoppiness to maltiness, but not as hoppy as the overhopped style you commonly see on the West Coast.

I also had a Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale on tap and it was similar to the Celabration but a little more malty with different fruity notes in the background.

:cheers1:

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
I was surprised to find out, a few months ago, that one of our local breweries, Wasatch Brewery (maker of such greats as Polygamy Porter, First Amendment Lager, and Evolution Amber Ale), had released a new beer, The Devastator.

Utah's first native Double Bock, The Devastator tops out at an impressive 8% abv. It has a bready aroma, and a malty, heavy mouth feel.

It's a great beer, and affordable, too, at about $1.36/bottle. However, I can only get it at the state liquor stores.

wasatch-the-devastator.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk