Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

rumblefish

One Too Many
I had the Schneider/Brooklyn Hopfen Weisse last night. I expected it to hoppy like an IPA, but it was much more of a Hefewiesse, a very good one. Ayinger and Paulaner, being two of my favorites, now have company at the top! It had a big, persistant, foamy head and all the flavors :arated: like banana, orange rind, and lemon you'd expect from a Hefe. Went great with the pork roast my friends wife made. Do try it if you're a weiss beer fan and can find it.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Anyone ever try Freoch Heather ale (light, delicate, can taste the heather flowers), McEwans (dark, sweet, and creamy)? I also like Smithwick's.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I had the Nogne O India Pale Ale tonight. Superb! Sligthly bitter like grapefruit, and almost as viscous as a barley wine. Also lots of leftover fine yeast at the bottom of the glass. I believe I've seen a post from Smithy singing it's praise. This will certainly be a regular for me.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
This year's Samuel Adams "Longshot" six-pack, consisting of three bottles apiece of two award-winning homebrews, is a winner. The Grape Pale Ale is very subtle in itrs green grapiness --not some "loud" fruit beer -- and quite delightful; I will miss it when it is no longer available. The Weizenbock is bold and satisfying. Snap up this combo now!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
rumblefish said:
I had the Nogne O India Pale Ale tonight. Superb! Sligthly bitter like grapefruit, and almost as viscous as a barley wine. Also lots of leftover fine yeast at the bottom of the glass. I believe I've seen a post from Smithy singing it's praise. This will certainly be a regular for me.
No I have finally tried some to. Nice and refreshing, but a little too gingery for my taste.

Phil

A-List Customer
I prefer the beer of the root variety. Namely from Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora, IL.

Being in college, it's going to happen that I'm going to run into beer. Overall, I don't really drink anyways, however, when asked why I don't want a beer (which is rather rare, usually the asker will shrug and say, more beer for me) I'll often reply, "Well, if it's less than 20 sylables, it's just not good enough."

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:

It's wonderful stuff isn't it Chris and Helen.

Pleased to hear you tracked it down, one of the nicest IPAs out there.

Pick up some other Nøgne Ø brews, they really are great drops.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Patrick Murtha said:
The Grape Pale Ale is very subtle in itrs green grapiness --not some "loud" fruit beer -- and quite delightful; I will miss it when it is no longer available. The Weizenbock is bold and satisfying. Snap up this combo now!

Patrick, have you tried the Midas Touch from Dogfish Head? Made with muscat grapes and saffron. No real hop flavor, but more of a grape skin sort of taste with a bit of the spice. In the photo of my beer cellar, some pages back, it's with the other Dogfish Head-purple label. I like very much.
I'll keep an eye out for the Longshot.
Edit: post #78

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lindylady said:
Anyone ever try Freoch Heather ale (light, delicate, can taste the heather flowers), McEwans (dark, sweet, and creamy)? I also like Smithwick's.

I do love the Smiddix. Love, love, love.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
Patrick, have you tried the Midas Touch from Dogfish Head? Made with muscat grapes and saffron. No real hop flavor, but more of a grape skin sort of taste with a bit of the spice. In the photo of my beer cellar, some pages back, it's with the other Dogfish Head-purple label. I like very much.
I'll keep an eye out for the Longshot.
Edit: post #78

I have not seen that one at my local retailer (although they have other Dogfish Head brews). I'll ask about it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Those Dogfish Head brews sound interesting, shame as I don't know if they are available here.

And Chris just popped the top on a Nøgne Ø Bitter. If you're like me and like English style bitters it'll be right up your alley.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Smithy said:
Those Dogfish Head brews sound interesting, shame as I don't know if they are available here.
Very few American micros distribute beyond our shores, in fact most have regional footprints. Though Dogfish seems to distribute nationally.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Smithy said:

And Chris just popped the top on a Nøgne Ø Bitter. If you're like me and like English style bitters it'll be right up your alley.

Tim, I'm sure I will.
I like the Bitters from Fischer, Foster's, and Fuller's (hmmm the three Fs) Have you had these? Comparisons?

Try and find Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout. 18% ABV, yet smooth as could be.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Been awhile since I've had Fullers or Fosters Chris.

I found it's similar to what you might get from a smaller English brewery. Fairly malty, light toffee coloured (lighter to my eyes than a lot of English style bitters), nice caramelly aftertaste.

Nice drop all in all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points