Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

olive bleu

One Too Many
There must be some other girls around here that like beer??no?

I once could not stand the stuff believe it or not..and then on a trip to new York, My Brother-in -law got me drinking "Rolling Rock", during a heat wave, mind you, and I've never looked back..although, i did turn my back on Rolling Rock..we have some fine brews here in Nova Scotia,starting with the popular "Keiths"
http://www.keiths.ca/k_theman/k_theman_index.htm
and my personal favourite:

garrison_red_glass.jpg

http://www.garrisonbrewing.com/index.html
& also
http://www.drinkpropeller.ca/beer/

Story

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
I once could not stand the stuff believe it or not..and then on a trip to new York, My Brother-in -law got me drinking "Rolling Rock", during a heat wave, mind you, and I've never looked back

33 :beer:

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/rolling.asp

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
olive bleu said:
There must be some other girls around here that like beer??no?
Youp, I'ts the fuel of my soscial life. And I love wiskey. Not very ladylike, eh?

Lately I've been drinking the Urquell Pilsner, a Czesh beer. Refreshingly bitter, I'ts one of the best I can get from the supermarket.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
Lately I've been drinking the Urquell Pilsner, a Czesh beer. Refreshingly bitter, I'ts one of the best I can get from the supermarket.

It's wonderful isn't it Helen.

Without doubt my favourite Pils but then it's hard to beat a Pils from Pilsen ;)

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Ever try Monchshof Schwarzbier? A black lager from Kulmbacher, also a bit on the sweet side but very drinkable.
First Schwarzbier I ever had was Kostritzer. (from the town of Kostritz in former East Germany, of course). I happened to be in eastern Germany at the time, so I was getting it on-tap and fresh. Good stuff. At the time, they had a fantastic marketing campaign - "The Black Beer with the Blonde Soul".
I was glad to see that it is available here in the U.S. (Seattle) in bottles, and a local restaurant (Shultzy's) sometimes has it on tap.

rumblefish

One Too Many
dnjan said:
First Schwarzbier I ever had was Kostritzer.

Another good one, Don!

I like the way this glass looks full of dark beer.
DSC00758.jpg

I don't have any now but since you mentioned it I'll be picking some up the next rip to the distributor.:)

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Another good one, Don!

I like the way this glass looks full of dark beer.
A full one right next to the empty one looks even better!

While we are on the German topic, Shultzy's (the place where I can get Kostritzer here on tap occaisionally) had a Franziskaner Dunkel on tap last week. Only time in my life I have ever gone back to the same bar in the same afternoon. Dunkel-Weiss is so hard to get on tap ...

jkingrph

Practically Family
I live in a ugh, dry county, so have to go about 35 miles to find a good store with a moderate selection. For domestic I like our Shiner Bock, and Samuel Adams.

Newcastle brown ale is one always grab when I can find it.

35 years ago when a young AF officer stationed in Turkey, we drank a fair bit of Turborg. It helped that the manager of a Turborg brewery there lived in the same apartment building.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Harley Quinn said:
Anyone here like The Bishop Finger? Spitfire? Any other of the Shepherd Neame brews?

I love Shepherd Neame brews, all of them.

Bishops Finger is probably my favourite of theirs and one of my all time favourites as well, although Spitfire is far easier to get hold of and a great drop as well.

Tried the Whitstable Bay Ale the other week for the first time, lovely brew. Of course with Kiwi hops you can't go wrong ;)

donCarlos

Practically Family
Aaaah, that´s my topic!

Spitfire said:
Absolutely. brewed in Praha.
The name means "The Star of Praha" - or so I am told.
Well, you´ve been told wrong. Staropramen is composed of words "stary" (meaning "old") and "pramen" (meaning "well" or "spring"). German equivalent is "Urquell", it means exactly the same.
However, don´t mistake it for Pilsner Urquell, which is brewed in Pilsen and is stronger, more bitter and more known (in fact, I think that that´s the only czech beer known internationally). Staropramen is from Prague. (just to show off, it costs about 22CZK = 0,86 EUR = 1,35 USD per 0,5 litre in a pub (draught, of course))

I have to say that we have some better beers around here, some of them are also exported... I know I have seen "Velkopopovicky Kozel" in Budapest, it was a great difference from their "Borsodi" which had a strange flavour. Another typical czech beer is "Gambrinus" (named after old slavic god). It has an interesting feature - you can drink enormous amount of it without bad after-effects. (and when a czech says enormous, then...lol ).
I have found this page http://pivni.info/mapa.php where is a map of the Czech Republic (and Slovakia) with almost all breweries marked. Quite a number for such a small country, isn´t it?

I think I have quite an experience with various beers, I will try to share it here:
the croatian beers - Ozujsko and Karlovacko. I wouldn´t recommend the first one, even though it´s the more popular one. It tastes like with some perfume in it. Karlovacko is very close to our Staropramen.
I have experienced polish beer as well, but I don´t remember the name, only that it was terribly strong and I had some problems with riding the bicycle back to my country lol.
My experience with the hungarian beers is written above - nothing special, maybe even bad.
I have had Austrian Gosser - It seemed to me that it´s their favourite, but i had a feeling that there is a lemon in it.
German beer - it´s strange, but I haven´t tasted many german beers. When I was in Berlin, I bought one can of something (the name was like "wetliner" or something) and I had no special feelings about it... Ours is ours...
US and Canadian - the only thing I liked was the way of opening the bottles - no tool needed. But the content of the bottle was...well... different? I have had Bud (yes, your Budweiser has really nothing in common with our Budweiser and our was the first, therefore I find the law-suit between the companies faint) and for the canadian it was something with green lid with beaver on it.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Tomorrow I'll be running to the beer distributor to restock.
I'll be making venison with Balti curry for dinner, so I think a few IPAs will do. I haven't decided which, but I hope to find some new ones.
Sam Adam's just released their triple bock for the first time in quite a while, that's on the list as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy