Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]
ValenciaCalling said:
I think I'm going to try the cider while I'm there./QUOTE]

Good for you! It was Woodpecker, I think? I can't remember that particular cider off hand...but be aware that some of them in the British style have a certain mustiness to them. "Skeet"

I don't think I'll mind the mustiness. One of my least favorite qualities of beer, aside from the taste, is the carbonation.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I would second the vote cast for Newcastle Brown Ale, and you might also try a Duvel. Both are on the malty/sweet side of the beer coin, (as opposed to hoppy) and both taste great!

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I'm just chiming in to state my beer loves. As a homebrewer and beer lover I really drink all sorts of styles as the mood, food, availability hit me.

Avery IPA. Some kinda good hoppy happiness!
Boulevard's Singlewide
Guiness Extra Stout
A good Wit, Wheat, or Hefe choices abound.

I was reading about the young lady that didn't like beer- Tastes like feet.

One item that I have found a lot of non-beer people really enjoy is Chimay Blue (Belgium), or even a Lambic. Framboise, Kreik, Peche-- these tend to be too sweet and fruity for me, but every once in awhile....

Belgians and Trappist beers tend to have less hop bitterness, and all kinds of spicy and fruity aromas and flavors. Unfortunantly they tend to be very expensive.

CH- also a home brewer.

skibum69

New in Town
ValenciaCalling said:
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]

I don't think I'll mind the mustiness. One of my least favorite qualities of beer, aside from the taste, is the carbonation.

try a cask conditioned ale-it should be less carbonated. Unfortunately the selection of beer here is truly terrible! I console myself with buying local and pretendeing it's really good. sigh

Nitro-gen

At the last yowza the bar at the langham Huntington had North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin which seems a lot like a Barley Wine / Imperial Stout brew on tap. BUT! They were using the Guiness style Nitrogen tap which made for low carbonation. More like a lightly effevesant liquid codeine on tap. YOWZA! I had 2 pints man o manischevitz!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
3468228913_07f63069cf.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
At the last yowza the bar at the langham Huntington had North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin which seems a lot like a Barley Wine / Imperial Stout brew on tap. BUT! Thye were using the Guiness style Nitrogen tap which made for low carbonation. More like a lightly effevesant liquid codeine on tap. YOWZA! I had 2 pints man o manischevitz!
Two pints of barleywine sounds dangerous! But I agree that Nitrogen can sure make a beer drinkable.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I normally go for stouts or porters (Stone Smoked Porter and Descutes Black Butte Porter.... mmmmm), but lately I've taken to Russian River's Damnation. In my search for local brews (in So Cal that is), I've found Craftsman Brewing makes some solid stuff too. Come to think of it, their 1903 Lager might be of interest to Loungers, since it's supposedly based on a pre-Prohibition style of brewing or something. Anyone tried it?

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
It's good stuff. It can just be darn hard to find. I'm lucky that the pub at the local college is run by beer snobs and carries a couple of their brews fairly often.

windy1664

New in Town
real ale

start from the top
Threakston old percular, waddingtons 6X, Fullers london Pride,
Pedegree, snift lifter, and some Belgium beers and my fav blond beer
Warsteiner or Paulners. We brits serve our beers warm, but we do make a good real ale

bottoms up ol boy

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
One of our local LCBOs (my fellow Ontarians will know what I mean) stocks Caledonian's 80/- (80 shillings), a brilliant session ale from Edinburgh.

They also have Deucher's IPA from Caledonian as well, absolute heaven!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Lancealot said:
I was at a resort in Puerto Aventuras Mexico. Last week so I was drinking Modelo "dark" of course, not a bad brew. I wanted Dos Equis but they didn't carry that.

Not a bad brew at all....Negra Modelo is a favorite when in Mexico...or eating that way here; most of the popular Mexican beers available up here are yellow water, as far as I'm concerned (but that, of course, is a matter of taste literally and figuratively); I wonder if anyone out there has some suggestions for other Mexican beers with a bit more than thirst-quench about them?

"Skeet"

Lancealot

Practically Family
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Not a bad brew at all....Negra Modelo is a favorite when in Mexico...or eating that way here; most of the popular Mexican beers available up here are yellow water, as far as I'm concerned (but that, of course, is a matter of taste literally and figuratively); I wonder if anyone out there has some suggestions for other Mexican beers with a bit more than thirst-quench about them?

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

I enjoy the Modelo but it must be dark. I am a bit of a beer snob if you can see through it I'm not interested.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Negra Modelo is one of my favorites - it has a very different quality to it. I also like Dos Equis, both lager and amber. The lager is nice for hot summer days; i do appreciate a "light" beer that still has flavor. The amber is pretty common on tap around here, and is often the only alternative to Bud et. al., so i quite appreciate it. Only, please don't put a lime in my dark beer! It's a bit of a peeve of mine ;)

ladybrettashley said:
Negra Modelo is one of my favorites - it has a very different quality to it. I also like Dos Equis, both lager and amber.

From the early version of World Guide to Beer by Michael Jackson (not that MJ but the Bard of Beer from England) Germany has beers in a style called Marzen (with an umlautt over the A) which means March beer and is the basis also for the true Oktoberfest beer. It's a lager that is amber to darkish with a smooth and some times nutty, sweet malt flavor and a balanced not very bitter hop finish. German Brewers went all over the world setting up lager breweries and Mexico had the benefit of this German expertise also.

Both Dos Equis Amber and and Negra Modelo fall into the German style of Marzen / Oktoberfest beer.

Rare to find in the US is a beer called Tres Equis Oscura from Mexico that is along the same lines but a bit darker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou