Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PBR used to be a premium brand when I would drink beer before being legal to to do. When I started to drink, there really wasn't a lot of choice back then, and there weren't any micro-brews around. I personally would say that any micro-brew ale, lager, etc would be a better choice than a PBR, but then again, they sell a lot of animal beer out there.

Hi

I don't know that Pabst was EVER a Premium beer. In the early 1980's it was $3.00 less per case than Budweiser and I never considered that to be a premium beer either. Michelob was considered the only premium that wasn't an import that I remember. The problem was that most beers tasted pretty much the same back then.

Later

dnjan

One Too Many
I'm expecting the Tempranillo.

PBR is for controlling flare-ups in regular grilling. A good shake of the bottle, delicate thumb control, and it is much better than a spray bottle.

And a guilt-free way to get rid of the PBR that was brought over for last year's superbowl party and wasn't touched.

dnjan

One Too Many
Well, what would you do with PBR that was brought over last February???
The other use I have come up with is to use it to dilute barbecue sauce when preparing a marinade for a pork loin.

I'm expecting the Tempranillo.

PBR is for controlling flare-ups in regular grilling. A good shake of the bottle, delicate thumb control, and it is much better than a spray bottle.

And a guilt-free way to get rid of the PBR that was brought over for last year's superbowl party and wasn't touched.

I'll send along some Schlitz.

I just use water. I prefer the taste. :p

PBR is good for rose fertilizer. Just pour it around the plant. They don't know the difference. :p

dnjan

One Too Many
That's not true!

If he was cold, dnjan would have asked the person who brought the PBR in the first place to take it back home with him (like I might have done).
Unfortunately, when hosting, I don't constantly monitor the cooler to see who is putting what in.

And so I decided to not embarass anyone by asking who brought it (though I had my suspicions).
Funny thing is, whoever brought it didn't drink it. So I think there is hope ...

Unfortunately, when hosting, I don't constantly monitor the cooler to see who is putting what in.

And so I decided to not embarass anyone by asking who brought it (though I had my suspicions).
Funny thing is, whoever brought it didn't drink it. So I think there is hope ...

Whoever brought it should be outed then. They just brought something cheap so it looks like they brought something but even they wouldn't drink it. lol lol

1961MJS

Hi

Now Gentlemen, I've tasted PBR and Schlitz, both this month, and in the 1970's. There are far worse beers especially including some that no longer exist. I haven't looked, does Schaefer still exist? We drank it in the old softball beer league. We called it S-A-L-E beer. If you only said the letters, it sounded better somehow.

Apologies to Tom, but Hamm's was never good by the time it arrived in Illinois. It was sour tasting. Olympia was just fuzzy water and then they made Olympia Light (Gold I think). That was one I never understood at all.

Both PBR and Schlitz DOOOOOO have more flavor than good ole Michelob Ultra.

I had two Kirin Japanese beers on tap at dinner tonight. Even some of the imported stuff doesn't have much flavor.

Later (Guinness IS beer)

Last edited:
Hi

Now Gentlemen, I've tasted PBR and Schlitz, both this month, and in the 1970's. There are far worse beers especially including some that no longer exist. I haven't looked, does Schaefer still exist? We drank it in the old softball beer league. We called it S-A-L-E beer. If you only said the letters, it sounded better somehow.

Apologies to Tom, but Hamm's was never good by the time it arrived in Illinois. It was sour tasting. Olympia was just fuzzy water and then they made Olympia Light (Gold I think). That was one I never understood at all.

Both PBR and Schlitz DOOOOOO have more flavor than good ole Michelob Ultra.

I had two Kirin Japanese beers on tap at dinner tonight. Even some of the imported stuff doesn't have much flavor.

Later (Guinness IS beer)

More flavor is subjective in that case. That is like saying cardboard tastes better than dirt. lol lol

1961MJS

More flavor is subjective in that case. That is like saying cardboard tastes better than dirt. lol lol

True, it IS subjective, but I actually like drinking Schlitz. I won't turn down free Pabst, but I don't see bringing back Olympia and I wouldn't take it if they do.

Later James (Guinness IS BEER)

anon`

One Too Many
HOLY HELL OREGON LOST!

Not sure if I should be upset or not that I decided not to go. I collected a variety of beers for the night, instead: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Alba Scots Pine Ale, Bridgeport Ebenezer Winter Ale, Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout, Widmer Bros. Falconer's IPA, and Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA.

I did share...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto