Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I like a variety of beers, though I stay away from the typical American lagers.

An unexpected package arrived here a couple of days ago; it was from Samual Adams Brewery! As a subscriber of "All About Beer" they sent me two of the new beer glasses they have developed to bring out the best of Sam Adams' lager. Very nice! I like Sam Adams, but don't have any in the house at the moment. I need to pick some up.

Cheers,
Tom

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm not fussy, either! Most of it tastes the same to me, anyway!

But since my husband is a fan I'm usually drinking Beck's. I also like Woodchuck Cider.

S

Samsa

I will drink just about any kind of beer, unless it's "light" beer. Right now I'm too po' to drink good beer, so will stick with Miller High Life or Budweiser. When I do have the money I like Stella Artois, Hacker-Pschorr...and others. When I have the money to do so I like to experiment by buying beers I haven't heard of.

My personal favorite has to be Guinness, but it doesn't travel well. After spending many a night in pubs in Ireland coming back to the states and tasting the canned equivalent was a let down, to say the least. Speaking of Ireland, Murphy's was great, but not too many pubs had it (at least the ones I frequented in Dublin and Galway). Beamish was equally elusive...

Oh, and almost forgot, I like the brews that come from the Lake Superior Brewing Company in Grand Marais, MI....but you can't find them in stores, alas, just at the bar there in town.

Phil

A-List Customer
I'm not a drinker, nor should I since I'm still under the legal age in the US, however I have had some beer in Germany which was very good. Rather sweet, not too heavy, plesant after taste. However, I'm going to college. From what I understand, if it looks like beer, they'll drink it. Now, I don't intend to party like a maniac, but I could easily see myself being the critic, analysing the beer while others chug it as fast as they can.[huh]

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I don't know why this beer thread died; it seems like it should be a perennial. :)

So I'll get the ball rolling again. Tonight's first beer for me on this Christmas Eve is Ommegang Abbey Ale, the flagship brew of Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, New York (a town which already had James Fenimore Cooper and the Baseball Hall of Fame going for it). This Belgian-style Abbey Dubbel is available in a larger 750 ml bottle with a cork. The label describes it "a rich, fruity and aromatic, burgundian brew," and the label ain't wrong. It's a terrific beer, a meal in a bottle.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We downed a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise yesterday, Fletch.

Tonight it's Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Had a few pints of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale while watching the Bears pummel the Packers yesterday afternoon. :p

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Had a few pints of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale while watching the Bears pummel the Packers yesterday afternoon. :p

Despite living in Packers territory, I'm not such a Packers nut, so I'm not weeping over the Bears victory. Enjoy. Besides, if the Pack could afford a loss at any time, coming in at 12-2 would be it. :)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Oh, boy! Where do I begin?

I'm a fan of many British beers, and Spitfire Ale is one of my all-time favourites. I'm still mourning the passing of the Firkin Pubs, as their Dogbolter Ale was very good, and rather potent!
Bishop's Finger, Newcastle Brown Ale, and Abbott Ale are all brews that I like. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
But my hands-down favourite is one from Eire, Guinness Stout. Truly the nectar of the Gods.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
KilroyCD said:
But my hands-down favourite is one from Eire, Guinness Stout. Truly the nectar of the Gods.

I adore Guinness on tap, rather than bottled. And the bartender has to know how to do a proper pour, which many American bartenders do not know how to do.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I enjoyed Dinkel Acker Dark beer over the summer.

A dark, sweet beer. Some have called it the "Southern Comfort" of beers...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The smaller, provincial and independent breweries-
I only like Carls Dark and Porter.

Carlsberg and Tuborg are married.

Been getting some nice beer from ALDI for around 5 kronor.

There's a great brewery on Bornholm, Svane Bryggeriet?
Nice beers in big bottles.

B
T

Svaneke - not svane - but who cares. Their beer is damn good!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Another beer I had on Christmas Eve was a Baltika 6 Porter, from the Baltika Brewery in St. Petersburg, Russia. They number all their beers. The 6 is a fine Baltic porter, which means that it is a very rich, full, heavy beer indeed -- more so than other porters you're used to. Drink it slowly and savor.

I can also recommend the Baltika 3 pale lager and the Baltika 4 dark beer (or dunkel). I'm not as keen on the Baltika 9 strong lager, but perhaps I need to get used to the style of that one.

Remember, many beers, like many other spirits, are acquired tastes -- take your time with them! If many experienced imbibers feel that a beer is excellent, it probably is, and you may wind up thinking so too with some patience. I say this in part because many international beers and adventurous domestics are so intensely flavorful as to be initially off-putting to Americans trained on the blandness of Budweiser.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've got Newcastle to go with my standing rib roast for Christmas dinner, but for kicking back later tonight, I've got a 2004 vintage bottle of Samichlaus (Santa Claus) Bier. Brewed once a year on December 6, then aged for 10 months, this makes a great dessert beer to finish off the holiday. It's a minimum 14% alcohol by volume, so it works well as a nightcap.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner