Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Beer Thread

Prohibition was the deathnell for most of the really good authentic beer in the US. Before Prohibition most brewers that were doing German style lagers did not use adjuncts (corn, rice, sugar) in their beer so we had more lagers closer to the better German Rheinheitsgebot beer purity rules. We also had many ale brewers.

For beer lovers until the 80's and the resurgence of microbrewers and brew pubs etc the US pickings was slim at best. Imports were dicey as you did not know how well it traveled and the conditions. Back then I knew people that believed the skunky light struck flavor of many imports was a desirable thing. Showed great class and good breeding for a beer.

bonnieprince

Familiar Face
I love Spaten Oktoberfest year round (Thank God it's available year round LOL). If it's not available, Guinness is a great second best (Back in the 90's, there was Guinness extra cold, which was even better).

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale with Guinness running a close second. I also love Granville Island Winter Ale (oh so delicious local brew, sadly only available in winter, cuz I'd drink it year round!) Rickard's Red is a good old standby with me when I'm not up to shelling out the bucks for the more expensive Kilkenny or Guinness. When summer hits I like a nice Granville Island Hefeweizen, very clean and refreshing with a hint of citrus. DAB (Dortmunder Actien Braurei) is a nice German Lager; nothing fancy, just good lager that isn't too expensive. Another tasty beer that's quintisentially Canadian is Pilsner Old Style; my dad used to drink that so I guess it brings back some fond memories of childhood.

A good friend of mine recently introduced me to Pabst Blue Ribbon; he was introduced to it by Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino! He explained to me that his dad also used to drink it and that it used to be one of the expensive, ritzy beers back in the day. I enjoyed it and I'd buy it again.

Sad to say a lot of US beer is swill; all the mainstream stuff like bud is crap and I wouldn't touch it. Some of the microbrews are pretty decent, but dang what is with you Americans and your hoppy beer? Some of the stuff I've had down there is like getting punched in the face with hops! To each his own I guess. There are a few real gems and even the hop-your-ass-somethin-fierce brews aren't bad, just UBER hoppy, which isn't my taste but some people love it.

Can you tell I love beer? lol One of my favourite beer quotes:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I find that summer calls for a lighter style. Pilsner Urquell or Red Stripe or an excellent local:

Don't take this as an insult, but I once tasted Pilsner Urquell and it tasted what I imagined rancid donkey piss would taste like. Foulest most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. I love Pilsner Old Style and a lot of German Lagers, so your expressing your admiration for it makes me wonder if I didn't get a bad batch or something. Is there some other beer you can liken the taste to? Red Stripe is fantastic; do you find they taste similar?

Not trying to stir up the pot or put anyone down, just wondering if I got a bad lot and should give it another chance.

dnjan

One Too Many
Sad to say a lot of US beer is swill; all the mainstream stuff like bud is crap and I wouldn't touch it. Some of the microbrews are pretty decent, but dang what is with you Americans and your hoppy beer? Some of the stuff I've had down there is like getting punched in the face with hops! To each his own I guess. There are a few real gems and even the hop-your-ass-somethin-fierce brews aren't bad, just UBER hoppy, which isn't my taste but some people love it.

The hoppy beers taste a lot better if you can get them cask-conditioned (served on a british-style pump).

My home brewpub, Hales, makes a Mongoose IPS and a hyped-up version (more alcohol and more hops) called Supergoose. I only have them when they are "on the pump".

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
,,,A good friend of mine recently introduced me to Pabst Blue Ribbon; he was introduced to it by Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino! He explained to me that his dad also used to drink it and that it used to be one of the expensive, ritzy beers back in the day. I enjoyed it and I'd buy it again.

Hi

I agree with old Ben, but on PBR, we used to drink that in High School in Southern Illinois. I don't recall it being either expensive or ritzy. In college it was about $8 a case, Bud was $10 a case, and Joseph Heilemann's Premium Beer was $4.39 a case (and worth every penny... :eeek:

rumblefish

One Too Many
I just got my hands on Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout and Canadian Breakfast Stout. Both I've had a tastings and festivals and rank with me as the best stouts. Oh why can't they just make more?..

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
I'm a Scotsman living in Australia so finding good beer (to my tastes) is pretty difficult as I'm very much a cask ale drinker. Most beers here are lager types although there are a few boutique (such a wanky term for beer) breweries which make a better drink but to me they all have the same basic flavour because I believe they all use the same hop.
HOWEVER, there is one oasis in of all places Canberra! If any of you Cask ale types guys are ever in Canberra hot foot it to the Wig and Pen pub in Alinga Street, Canberra. Its the only pub to my knowledge to serve top quality cask ale in Australia (brewed in house) and have staff who know what they are talking about. To top it all they do pub food and there is not a TV to be seen in the place, a true haven from a troubled world!
When home (Edinburgh) I am spoiled for quality beer Greenmantle, Orkney Dark Island and Red Mcgregor are all great beers but king of em all is Deuchars IPA. Flashy's home coming tradition is to head to the Kings Wark in Leith right from the airport and have a pint of the Deuchars IPA, I'm not home until I get one.

Flashy

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't take this as an insult, but I once tasted Pilsner Urquell and it tasted what I imagined rancid donkey piss would taste like. Foulest most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. I love Pilsner Old Style and a lot of German Lagers, so your expressing your admiration for it makes me wonder if I didn't get a bad batch or something....

Hi

Pilsner Urquell isn't my favorite lager, and I'm an ale kind of guy anyway, but having said that I bet you got into a bad or old batch. Joseph Heilemann's premium beer had a vinegar aftertaste making it horrible, but it was supposed to be great when less than a week old. If you're a Guinness man, I'd stick to the darker lagers, and beers with more flavor. My summer beer is Plain Budweiser red beer made with Zing Zang bloody Mary mix.

Later

Erich Johann

New in Town
As I am German, and although it might sound stereotypical, I like beer. I try to stay away from the "big" brands, though (e.g. Beck's et al.) and rather drink "local" beers -- especially the region where I live (Swabia) is graced with a brewery in every other town. Fortunately, the smaller German breweries are stepping up their game and providing a bigger selection of beers, from the ubiquitous Pils, Export, and different types of Weizen to Naturtrüb,dark beers, and even lagers (albeit being stereotypically pictured in the past [at least as immigrants to the U.S.] as lager-drinking, Germans actually living in Germany [at least the ones I know] are usually unfamiliar with lager beer). I am especially fond of seasonal beers. It is also quite interesting to see the local or regional varieties -- i.e. some types of beer that are only found in certain regions.

I also developed a liking for U.S. microbrewery beers -- albeit not any of the "fruity" ones ;) Belgian beers are also quite nice (I enjoyed a stay in Chimay last year), and whenever I get to a new country, I will try their beers as well.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale with Guinness running a close second.

A good friend of mine recently introduced me to Pabst Blue Ribbon; he was introduced to it by Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino! He explained to me that his dad also used to drink it and that it used to be one of the expensive, ritzy beers back in the day. I enjoyed it and I'd buy it again.

Kilkenny is pretty darned good, but unfortunately you can only find it at the pub here in the US..... and very few of those at that. Guinness is always a standby. Old Speckled Hen is pretty good too.

Pabst has got to be some of the worst swill that's ever passed my lips. Any beer can be tolerable if it's ice cold, but the true test is when it hits room temp. Pabst fails that test with flying colors!

I lived in Germany for a few years, and there are quite a few good local brews there. I drank a fair amount of Warsteiner, probably because I lived not far from Warstein where it's made. Also drank a fair bit of crystalweizen, but can't remember the brands.

When I lived in Australia, Cooper's was my fave.

Most American beer is crap, except some of the microbrews, but I don't generally go for those. Call me weird, but I like beer that tastes like beer, not some weird fruity concoction.

Last edited:

anon`

One Too Many
Beer with any flavoring -- berry, pineapple, you name it.
So would that include an American IPA making liberal use of, say, Cascade or Centennial hops fall into that? Or what about that periodic Belgian style brew with huge amounts of esters?

Not to badger or anything, I'm just curious, as I find that a lot of fruity beers are much less objectionable than certain overwrought ales of more traditional styles.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Most American beer is crap

You know, I spent most of my life thinking that. I always thought it was too cold, too weak and tasteless. Until I spent a splendid night in a bar in Florida drinking Budweiser (a beer I had always strongly disliked). However, drinking it in the right bar, at the right time, it just seemed the perfect drink. My prejudices were quashed. I still don't like it, but at least I can now appreciate it.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
So would that include an American IPA making liberal use of, say, Cascade or Centennial hops fall into that? Or what about that periodic Belgian style brew with huge amounts of esters?

Not to badger or anything, I'm just curious, as I find that a lot of fruity beers are much less objectionable than certain overwrought ales of more traditional styles.

Nowhere in the examples you gave do you mention any fruit content....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy