Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

Wow Stefan, tell us what you really think! ;) I can see what you are saying though, not touching this hat, the images of the finish don't show a stellar smooth finish. It is nonetheless a nice hat, just not quite what you would expect from the legacy of the branding.
Mike, thanks. It's not a bad hat compared to most modern hats (these modern Christys hats really are awful) and I really wanted to love it, but when it was in the stack I took with me yesterday I seriously considered leaving it there. The larger one I own is on the same level as this one (but a more recent one, so i thought that could be the reason). In the end the price was so low I couldn't leave it (just to be able to say I have one).

The Battersby hat that's in the works will take more time to arrive, so in the meantime here's another British made hat. T&W Lees of Stockport, later branded Lees London, size 58 in blue. Would have loved this one to be in my size, but I took it home anyway. Bound brim 6cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. made for Spongs of Skövde, Sweden. The flange on this one is very uncommon, somewhere in between a pencil roll and a normal fedora flange. It does work as a fedora too though. T&W Lees made very fine hats under their own name and as a supplier for Dunn&Co. The sweatband on this one has some glue residue on it (for some reason someone stuck some tape on it). First brim up style (for Bob).

lees london_02.jpg
lees london_01.jpg
lees london_03.jpg
lees london_04.jpg
lees london_05.jpg
lees london_06.jpg
lees london_07.jpg
lees london_08.jpg
lees london_09.jpg
lees london_11.jpg

This one came in this week, but I still needed to take pictures of it. Battersby backbow fedora in green (new sage according to the label). Fairly low crowned hat at 9cm at the pinch, with the overwelt brim at 5,5cm. Size 7, so a bit roomy for me (not a storm-proof hat). The ribbon is what caught my eye. Very wide at 6,5cm (about 2 5/8 inches) and the widest ribbon I have on a hat. It was unlined, but I did have an unused battersby liner that needed a second life. I don't think this hat was designed for the pinch it now has, but I like the way this looks.

battersby wide_02.jpg
battersby wide_01.jpg
battersby wide_03.jpg
battersby wide_05.jpg
battersby wide_04.jpg
battersby wide_06.jpg
battersby wide_07.jpg
battersby wide_08.jpg
battersby wide_09.jpg
battersby wide_10.jpg

One of three hats I picked up this sunday. T&W Lees fedora in grey (called hurricane on the label). Size 56, bound brim at 5,8cm and crown 9,5 cm at the pinch. I have another hat in hurricane grey and it's a GA Dunn&Co. That one is also made by Lees, who was a supplier for Dunn. Whenever I see a T&W Lees hat I pick it up; they made very fine quality hats.

lees hurricane_02.jpg
lees hurricane_01.jpg
lees hurricane_03.jpg
lees hurricane_04.jpg
lees hurricane_05.jpg
lees hurricane_06.jpg
lees hurricane_07.jpg
lees hurricane_08.jpg
lees hurricane_09.jpg
lees hurricane_11.jpg

And the second British made hat. Battersby homburg in brown (oddly called "metal" on the label). Size 56, with a 6,5 cm brim and a crown at 10,5cm at the pinch. Frayed bow and unlined. This is an early Battersby (pre-WWII) hat and the moths have had a nibble here and there, but it doesn't detract from the hat in my view. It came with the box too.

battersby hom_02.jpg
battersby hom_01.jpg
battersby hom_03.jpg
battersby hom_04.jpg
battersby hom_05.jpg
battersby hom_06.jpg
battersby hom_07.jpg
battersby hom_08.jpg
battersby hom_09.jpg
battersby hom_10.jpg

Forgot I had this one.....not sure of time frame. Can see the blocking tag under the liner....but would have to pull the liner from the well glued seam to get to it. Does have a soft plastic protector behind the sweat..I assume fairly new......so not really sure this should be posted here.
M
View attachment 107712 View attachment 107713 View attachment 107714 View attachment 107715 View attachment 107716 View attachment 107718 View attachment 107719 View attachment 107725
Good looking bowler, hatman. Might be earlier than you think though. The brim shape doesn't look that new and these elaborate liners are an older feature too. Herbert Johnson left 38 New Bond street in 1975, so the hat is certainly from before that date.

One of three hats I picked up this sunday. T&W Lees fedora in grey (called hurricane on the label). Size 56, bound brim at 5,8cm and crown 9,5 cm at the pinch. I have another hat in hurricane grey and it's a GA Dunn&Co. That one is also made by Lees, who was a supplier for Dunn. Whenever I see a T&W Lees hat I pick it up; they made very fine quality hats.

View attachment 107688 View attachment 107689 View attachment 107690 View attachment 107691 View attachment 107692 View attachment 107693 View attachment 107694 View attachment 107695 View attachment 107696 View attachment 107697
This Lees is a fine looking hat. The quality shows in the stitching of the brim binding and sweat, neat and tidy.

Forgot I had this one.....not sure of time frame. Can see the blocking tag under the liner....but would have to pull the liner from the well glued seam to get to it. Does have a soft plastic protector behind the sweat..I assume fairly new......so not really sure this should be posted here.
M
View attachment 107712 View attachment 107713 View attachment 107714 View attachment 107715 View attachment 107716 View attachment 107718 View attachment 107719 View attachment 107725
Beautiful Bowler Mark. The liner and sweat are so nice.

Love that box a lot! The tower over the main entrance to the factory is interesting. And wonderful that it is still there.
Mike, thanks. I am reading the Battersby book at the moment and the founder did make a decision to choose quality of quantity. The tower was constructed after 1906 when the factory suffered severe damage due to fires and the waterpressure wasn't good enough. The tower held several thousand gallons of water for this purpose. It became an icon for the factory and Stockport hatting in general, so it stayed after the factory closed down.

Well, it took a while, but the English hats have returned from their refurbishments. First the Sutton (posted here on page 11 I believe). Nothing special was done with it. The liner was toast, but rather than change it outright I asked Fleur of Penumbra hat co to save the crown patch in the centre. She did and the hat looks like new.

Before:
sutton_06.jpg

After (the liner is sown in; no shortcuts here):
sutton 2_6.jpg
sutton_02.jpg
sutton 2_3.jpg
sutton 2_5.jpg
sutton 2_1.jpg

Another one to come back was the T&W Lees eventide grey (see page 12 of this thread). Bought for 1 euro. The liner was missing and the sweatband was falling apart, so some work had to be done. T&W Lees usually had light coloured sweatbands (their later hats had normal sweatbands of very poor quality) and very distinct liners with sculpted edges along the crown patch. Fleur of Penumbra recreated a liner like that for me and did a new sweatband as well. This is as close to the original Lees hats as you can get.

Before:
lees eventid_06.jpg

After:

lees even reno_01.jpg
lees even reno_02.jpg
lees even reno_06.jpg
lees even reno_07.jpg
lees even reno_08.jpg
lees even reno_09.jpg
lees even reno_10.jpg
lees even reno_11.jpg

Forum statistics