Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

Very cool find, Steve. Never seen that Battersby logo before. Good looking topper as well; a bit less bell shaped and more straight. Another great one for the collection.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
More on the Battersby Top Hat.

Forgot to mention it's a 15cm crown height and 5cm brim.

20220609_214002.jpg

Another unusual addition is it has a grosgrain ribbon and bow instead of the ubiquitous topper velvet ribbon sans bow.

20220609_214327.jpg 20220609_214311.jpg

After a slight bake and stretch (believe me, it does work), it fits nicely

20220610_220437.jpg

Lock&Co fedora in a brown colour called chestnut. Size 62, or 7 5/8 UK, with a brim of 5,5cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. Unlined but likely did have a liner at one point. Doesn't come across as a stingy brim though due to its shape, which is more straight and full, and proportions. The brim has a very nice cuppy shape at the back. Dang; forgot to straighten the ribbon.

lock62_01.jpg

lock62_02.jpg

lock62_03.jpg

lock62_04.jpg

lock62_06.jpg

lock62_07.jpg

lock62_08.jpg

lock62_09.jpg

lock62_10.jpg

lock62_11.jpg

Battersby bowler in black. Size 58 (7 1/8 English), but it seems a bit smaller than that. Great smooth finish to the felt, so it's a fur felt one. Feels lighter than it actually is at 144 grams. Difficult to date this one, but based on liner, tight brim curl and sweat I'd say forties, late thirties maybe. This one was used as a riding hat at one point: there was a ribbon in the box it came in and on both sides of the sweatband some stitches have been cut to accommodate it.

battersby bowler_01.jpg

battersby bowler_02.jpg

battersby bowler_03.jpg

battersby bowler_04.jpg

battersby bowler_05.jpg

battersby bowler_06.jpg

battersby bowler_07.jpg

battersby bowler_08.jpg

battersby bowler_09.jpg

battersby bowler_10.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Battersby bowler in black. Size 58 (7 1/8 English), but it seems a bit smaller than that. Great smooth finish to the felt, so it's a fur felt one. Feels lighter than it actually is at 144 grams. Difficult to date this one, but based on liner, tight brim curl and sweat I'd say forties, late thirties maybe. This one was used as a riding hat at one point: there was a ribbon in the box it came in and on both sides of the sweatband some stitches have been cut to accommodate it.

battersby bowler_01.jpg

battersby bowler_02.jpg

battersby bowler_03.jpg

battersby bowler_04.jpg

battersby bowler_05.jpg

battersby bowler_06.jpg

battersby bowler_07.jpg

battersby bowler_08.jpg

battersby bowler_09.jpg

battersby bowler_10.jpg
Nice find, Stefan.

Guess who'll be pm'ing you shortly :)

PanosChris

Practically Family
GA Dunn&Co Ltd velour hat in brown. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6 and the crown at 10 cm at the center dent. A more short haired velour in a nice rich brown colour. Lovely hand to the felt and it shapes easily. No labels under the sweat, so no idea who the manufacturer was. Weighs 126 grams.

dunn velour_8.jpg

dunn velour_2.jpg

dunn velour_1.jpg

dunn velour_3.jpg

dunn velour_4.jpg

dunn velour_5.jpg

dunn velour_6.jpg

dunn velour_7.jpg
Sweet! Browns don't come up all that often. Do we have evidence for other than Czechoslovakia-based velour makers for Dunn&Co?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
GA Dunn&Co Ltd velour hat in brown. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6 and the crown at 10 cm at the center dent. A more short haired velour in a nice rich brown colour. Lovely hand to the felt and it shapes easily. No labels under the sweat, so no idea who the manufacturer was. Weighs 126 grams.

dunn velour_8.jpg

dunn velour_2.jpg

dunn velour_1.jpg

dunn velour_3.jpg

dunn velour_4.jpg

dunn velour_5.jpg

dunn velour_6.jpg

dunn velour_7.jpg
Great Dunn & Co find, Stefan.

Wangenheim

Familiar Face
A year ago I bought this brown Lincoln Bennett. The Sweat band is unreeded (4,3cm). The brim is 5,6cm. Crown height 9,5cm. That's after my new bashing, because the crown was lowered, especially at the back. I think this was not original (can still see where the former top at the back was). Hat band is 2,5cm. Size 7/57.

Very nice felt.

The somewhat low crown, small brim and hat band makes me guess it's a 50s hat (although unreeded), but I don't know much about british Fedoras and their styles over the decades. So, is the production period right?

IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0418.JPG IMG_0419.JPG IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
A year ago I bought this brown Lincoln Bennett. The Sweat band is unreeded (4,3cm). The brim is 5,6cm. Crown height 9,5cm. That's after my new bashing, because the crown was lowered, especially at the back. I think this was not original (can still see where the former top at the back was). Hat band is 2,5cm. Size 7/57.

Very nice felt.

The somewhat low crown, small brim and hat band makes me guess it's a 50s hat (although unreeded), but I don't know much about british Fedoras and their styles over the decades. So, is the production period right?

View attachment 469109 View attachment 469110 View attachment 469111 View attachment 469112 View attachment 469113 View attachment 469114 View attachment 469115 View attachment 469116
Welcome to the lounge. A nice looking hat that one. I think it could be a bit earlier, late forties maybe. Admittedly there's not much to go on with these English hats because they didn't change all that much except in their finishings. The cloth crown patch and the crisp detail on the sweatband imprint point towards a somewhat earlier hat. Not pre-war in its style though.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Very nice felt.

View attachment 469109 View attachment 469110 View attachment 469111 View attachment 469112 View attachment 469113 View attachment 469114 View attachment 469115 View attachment 469116
1950s would be correct. The "By appointment to her Majesty the Queen" refers to Elizabeth II who became Queen in February 1952.

Wangenheim

Familiar Face
Thank you! That's what I thought too (not that specific): looks a bit older. But then, the argument with "her Majesty" is really good : )

And am I right, that the company went out of business 1955? That would pinpoint it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you! That's what I thought too (not that specific): looks a bit older. But then, the argument with "her Majesty" is really good : )

And am I right, that the company went out of business 1955? That would pinpoint it.
They were sold off, but the new owners continued to use the name. It was about the mid 80s when the name of Lincoln Bennett finally died.

However, apparently, there is a plan to revive it. The new resurrection will, of course, bear no relation to the wonderful hat manufacturer of a bygone, hat making day.

Wangenheim

Familiar Face
Ah, interesting! And yes, I lately saw somewhere, that the Lincoln Bennett Logo ist redesigned. But it looked, like they really wanted at least this to be old style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB