Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Mouse Detective

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
For long time Disney audiences, movies like The Aristocrats, Oliver and Company, and Pete's Dragon were constant watches, at least it was that way with me. One of the best movies that I thought came out of Disney animated, non-animated, and semi-animated features was The Great Mouse Detective.

How could you not enjoy watching a mouse protraying the likes of Sherlock Holmes?

What's your word on this animated film?

melankomas

One of the Regulars
i've never seen it, but i may seek it out. i vaguely recall something about a cyclist mouse, but nothing indicating Sherlock Holmes, so i think it must be a different thing.

Steve

Practically Family
It was one of my favorite films as a child; I never knew Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price lent their voices until just recently. I grew up on the classic animated Disney films, and I think at one point I was watching this one at least once a week.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
This is one of my favorites as well! I think I love Mr. Ratagon the most though....his sense of humor is priceless....I think one of my favorite scenes was when he had the detective all tied up and about to killl him while that song was playing in the background...I always crack up with that one

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
A long-time favorite of mine, as well. I loved hearing Rathbone's voice sneaking into the mix.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
:eusa_booh Goodbye, So long, farewell....:D

"Aufwiedersehn, Goodnight
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight,

So long
Farewell
Aufwiedersehn
Adeiu, Adeiu Adeiu
To yieu and yieu and yieu"

sorry....
wrong picture

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
happyfilmluvguy said:
"Aufwiedersehn, Goodnight
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight,

So long
Farewell
Aufwiedersehn
Adeiu, Adeiu Adeiu
To yieu and yieu and yieu"

sorry....
wrong picture
Well, at least we got a theme going:)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jay said:
Vincent Price said that voicing Professor Rattigan was one of his favorite roles.

Aw! I was gonna say that :) Beat me to it!

This film has some of Disney's first computer animation. Mainly tracing of 3D elements (the innards of the clock tower come to mind).

What a swell flick :)

LD

Nightshade

New in Town
mysterygal said:
This is one of my favorites as well! I think I love Mr. Ratagon the most though....his sense of humor is priceless....I think one of my favorite scenes was when he had the detective all tied up and about to killl him while that song was playing in the background...I always crack up with that one
That is my favorite part as well, I still watch it. Unfortunatley, not a lot of people have heard of it, but I think it's one of the best.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that's one of the great things about having kids is that they give you an excuse to watch these movies over again!:p Even as a kid I've always been more intrigued by the villian instead of the good guy[huh] my counseling mind in the making maybe?

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I, too, loved "The Great Mouse Detective." I think one of the main reasons it's a little underappreciated today is because it was the penultimate film (the last being "Oliver & Co.") before Disney revamped its animated style, switching to a Broadway musical style production, with lots of show-stopping tunes; the first of this new style was "The Little Mermaid."

Personally, I think my favorite Disney flick is "The Jungle Book," not so much for the story and animation so much as Phil Harris and Louis Prima (!).

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Even though it is incredible what they can do with computer animation, I do love the 'old' way of making cartoons. I find the newer one's out there are made to be constant action...not that the mouse detective is boring..not at all! but, how do I word it...now things are constantly flashing at the kids. The whole cartoon, from start to finish is just hilarious...even my oldest girl says it's one of her favorites:)
villians; the other one that I absolutley love is the lady in 'sleeping beauty'...she has such a sarcastic sense of humor...it's great:p

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
"I find the newer one's out there are made to be constant action"

Yeah, the old ones were quiet introspection. Subtle touches, like anvils falling on heads and TNT exploding in ducks' faces.

Eh... what's up, doc?

I hope that didn't come across as snide.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Dapper Dan said:
"I find the newer one's out there are made to be constant action"

Yeah, the old ones were quiet introspection. Subtle touches, like anvils falling on heads and TNT exploding in ducks' faces.

Eh... what's up, doc?

I hope that didn't come across as snide.
I just figure it's your sense of humor. I haven't watched a looney toon's cartoon, probably since I was a kid, they're actually pretty darn violent! There was a dvd at my local library with a few choice toons, I thought it interesting that if these same cartoons were shown today, there would be such a stink (which I'm one of those mom's who don't let my kids watch these sort of things) I'm sure there's still violent cartoons out there, but the one's I see on Saturday mornings, they've tamed it down.
But seriously, have you noticed the difference between say, movies made in the 70's and earlier and todays? the progression of the story is usually slower wheras today's toon movies are made as if kids only have an attention span of 2 sec.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Some of the new movies are indeed more visceral, but I think movies like the ones Pixar is doing today rival, in quality, any animated movies ever made. But as for the general climate of cartoons today, I really couldn't say. You'd be much more of an expert, seeing as how you have young children. I rarely watch children's cartoons these days. It does seem, though, everytime a new children's movie comes out, it gets miserable reviews. I wonder if people have just forgotten how to make good children's entertainment. It's like Fred Rogers used to say: don't condescend children. I think all too many people are guilty of that today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo