Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemingway Jones Is Back From The Hospital :-)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi All,

I'm writing you all to tell you that our good friend Hemingway Jones is in the hospital. Over the past 4 days he has been having chest pain and pressure that has become increasingly worse and more persistent over time. Being a typical guy, he just ignored it. But this morning it had become so bad that he thought he should call his doctor. Upon calling and explaining his symptoms, the automatically referred him to the emergency room. He didn't think it was that bad, and asked if he could just come in to see his primary care physician. They again told him that he should go to the ER, but hearing the reluctance in his voice they told him to come into their offices and the doctor would check him out immediately. We went into the doctors where they did an exam, took his BP and did an EKG. His BP was very high, which was not normal for him, and the EKG was abnormal. They automatically called a cardiac care ambulance and told him that he must go to the ER.
He is still at the ER. He is much more comfortable thanks to the morphine. You see they needed to get his BP down so the gave him a spray of nitroglycerine, but this caused his BP to drop much too low. When the nitro wore off finally, his pressure began to rise again. They gave him the morphine not only for the chest pain but also because it lowers blood pressure, but not to the extent of the nitro.

I honestly do not know what the diagnosis is yet. What I do know is he is showing all the signs and symptoms of what could eventually lead to a "cardiac event", this could mean anything from a heart attack to angina, but we will not know for a while. They are preparing a room for him in the cardiac unit of the hospital. Tomorrow he will have a stress test, if his blood pressure is finally controlled by then. They are repeating the EKG every hour to make sure that he is not getting any worse. The doctors are throwing around a lot of big and scary words that I don't quite understand. What they have told us is that he is very lucky that he came in when he did.

This chest pain that he has been having has happened in the past. He gets winded very easily, and when we were in Italy there were a few times when non aggressive activity caused him to feel a tightening in his chest. He thought it was because he hadn't been exercising regularly. Also, it wasn't constant or even regular, so he didn't think anything of it. But, when it started to become regular, and then over the past few days increase in pain and intensity, along with nausea and vomiting, we knew that it was something more than being out of shape.

So, I just wanted to fill you all in as to what's been going on. As always, his spirits are great! He is such a positive person, always able to see some good in even the scariest of situations. He is at the Beth Israel Hospital here in Boston, one of the best hospitals in the country. The care he is getting is incredible. I have been with him all day, but came home to pick up a few things for him to make him feel more at home. Hopefully he will be brought to a room soon. It's always great to go to a good hospital, but it also means that there's often a room shortage. But, the ER has a back area that has small private rooms that are very quiet, have TV's and since he is in a cardiac situation his nurse will only have one other patient to care for, so he will be getting a lot of attention. I speak from experience when I say that these rooms are very comfortable, especially considering that they are in the emergency department. But, we're still hoping that they will find him a room so he will not have to spend the night in the ER.

I'm on my way back there in a little while. I'm gonna bring him his laptop but the last time I was in the ER I didn't have internet. But, I will use my persuasion with the nurses that I know from my visits to the BI ER to get access to the computers in the nurses lounge so I can check in and give you updates.

Please keep Tim in your thoughts and if you do pray, please put in a good word for him. He is far too young to be going through such a frightening situation. I am genuinely worried, and it doesn't help that he's got 3 different doctors watching his every breadth and saying really big medical terms that neither of us truly understand. I'm doing everything in my power to not look them all up on the internet, for I know this will do me no good and just make me worry even more. He has always been so incredibly strong, caring and supportive for me when I have been in the hospital. I only hope that I can do the same for him, but it's so hard to hide my emotions in regards to this. I'm doing my best to not let him see my worry, because knowing him and his kind heart he'd be more upset about upsetting me than he would about what he is going through. So it's hard to keep a smile on my face because I'm worried about him, but I see him and his high spirits, the strength he has in the scariest of situations amazes me!! So please keep him in your thoughts and prayers, and I will give you an update as soon as I know anything.

Also, he wanted you guys all to know that even in a hospital gown, hooked up to all sorts of machines, he still got some of his classic style going. He's wearing his wingtips!! He wanted me to post this picture so you can all see that he's in good spirits, and that he's wearing his wingtips:) Not the best picture, but it was with his camera phone.

AlanC

No hat?!

Seriously, I'm very sorry to hear about it, and we will be praying for him. Get better, HJ!

(Thanks for letting us know, Daisy.)

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
First, Daisy, you seem to be the most amazing friend I've ever seen. :eusa_clap I'm so impressed. Hemingway is so blessed to have you for a friend.

Second, I don't know Tim, but I know this will be one of many posts from people wishing him a speedy recovery. I do indeed pray, and he will be in my prayers, as will you.

Steve

Feraud

Bartender
So sorry to read this news Daisy.
I am sure it is a minor stress related issue but glad went to the emergency room for a checkup.
Please keep us updated with any bit of news.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Our prayers, thoughts, and postive energies go out to Tim that it doesn't become anything serious, and to you for being such a wonderful friend and surrigate family, to keep your energy up so that you don't have any relapse or down falls yourself!!
Once again, all postive energies and prayers sent to Boston!

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Here's wishing Tim a speedy recovery. Heck, the sooner he gets outta there, the sooner the non-wingtip wearing patients can go back to not feeling self concious about their lack of snazzy footwear ;) .

LadyStardust

Practically Family
It's times like these when all the words in the world couldn't hope to express the effect of such a shocking, and sad event. You truly have my best wishes, and I hope all the good luck in the world for Mr. Jones' fast recovery, and I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers, and wish you strength to face this situation.

carebear

Likewise, my prayers go out to both of you. Hem for his health and you, Daisy, for your concern. Be at peace.

Don't forget that, in his weakened and vulnerable state, you'll need to keep the monkey away from him. :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Best of wishes to him. Hopefully he'll be out soon!

It was probably the stress of planning this weekend's Boston FL event :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My prayers are with him and those close to him.

Daisy, make sure you take care of yourself. It's easy to forget when in this kind of situtation.

God Bless!

Joie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo