Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Sweater Search

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Do you have pics from the waist up too? I'd like to see the whole sweater since the shots are from the chest up. It looks to be a beautiful sweater. Love the hair too!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Sweaters,who else loves the look?and how do you wear yours?

The sweater girl look is probably my favorite classic look.I love that I can still find new sweaters today with vintage-inspired appeal,but it can still be a hunt.
Plus,I love that I rarely have to iron mine.I would definitely say I'm a skirt and sweater girl.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I love 1940s-50s sweaters :) I wear mine with pencil and a-line skirts; high-waisted, wide-leg trousers; and dungarees on casual days.

I also adore knit blouse and skirt sets--they look neat and lovely, are super comfortable, and as you mentioned, never require ironing lol

Grace

Vendor
I love cardigans! Wear them almost everyday, vintage and vintage inspired. I usually wear them over a low-cut top, with pencil skirts, dresses, or jeans. I have a million of them.

My favorite, though belonged to my late grandma-it's light pink wool from Scotland. It's the piece that got me hooked on vintage. It's so tattered and hole-y but I still wear it. :)

Shimmy Sally

I have a few lightweight cardigans. My favs are an ivory with 3/4 length sleeves, ruffled hems and my black cashmere with crystal rhinestone buttons. They are a nice cover-up at work with separates, slim skirts or slacks. I also like to wear them with fitted bodice/full skirt 50s dresses.
I also love big bulky cable knit and Fair Isle sweaters for chilly days. I love cold weather.
I used to have many short sleeved vintage sweaters, they were wonderful.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Ooohh...Did some one say sweaters?!!! I love them!! I just bought two vintage sweaters from ebay, that I posted in the "Show us your purchases" thread. I need to find some pencil skirts and circle skirts to wear with them though...I tried to make a pencil skirt the other night, but it back-fired; I think I'm sewing-illiterate!

Target had some really cute vintage-looking black cardigans last weekend - I think it is part of their rotating designers line. Might want to check them out!

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh, yeah i agree. it is so easy to look pulled together in a hurry. i love to dress them up with accessories like a nice brooch.I occasionally find nice vintagey sweaters at sears.Not too expensive, but with a nice skirt and some vintage accessories you can really get a great look.

My mother-in-law was a great knitter and used to make me beautiful sweaters. when she died 2 years ago, i inherited her needles but her sister took all the patterns.:( ...i guess i will have to take up the torch!)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I love sweaters and knit dresses and sets!

One of my favorite looks is a collared shirt under a V neck sweater with the collar showing- with wide leg trousers it looks very Collegiate. I also like the short sleeve sweaters with skirts.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh, yeah i agree. it is so easy to look pulled together in a hurry. i love to dress them up with accessories like a nice brooch.I occasionally find nice vintagey sweaters at sears.Not too expensive, but with a nice skirt and some vintage accessories you can really get a great look.

My mother-in-law was a great knitter and used to make me beautiful sweaters. when she died 2 years ago, i inherited her needles but her sister took all the patterns.:( ...i guess i will have to take up the torch!)

olive bleu

One Too Many
what i meant to say....

what i was trying to say, before my screen refreshed & i lost it , was that i adore 3/4 sleeves!i can't stop buying them. My husband just rolls his eyes at me when i come home with yet another. a friend once told me that i have "good arms" i think a lot of us feel that no matter what our physical make up may be otherwise, that area from just below the elbow to the wrist is very feminine and i love to expose it and wear a nice watch or bracelet. it's shows a little skin in a very pretty non-threatening way

GOK

One Too Many
Oohh knitwear! I love it - feels so comfortable and looks so stylish. And three quarter length sleeves? I thought I was weird for thinking exactly what Grace and Olive said....so I suppose that makes me pretty normal then! lol

I also like short sleeved sweaters and cardis with pencil skirts (if not wearing a 3/4 sleeve that is), plus cardis with circle dresses. If worn alone, I prefer cardis to be 3/4 sleeves but with a short sleeved sweater, I feel more comfortable with full length ones. Does that make sense?

I really like cropped cardis for wearing with high waisted clothing - I think they makes people look taller and slimmer....or at least, I hope that's what they do for me! They certainly make me feel more elegant.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have about 30 cardies, various cuts, lenghts and all oh so comffy :)

Cardies and skirts are the potatoes of my wardrobe (about one third are vintage). Im always on the lookout for a great cardie. I like putting a solid cardie with a patterned blouse and a circle skirt. Or a cardie with boots and a pencil skirt. Im totally into that for the fall.

Also with a cardie, every girl needs a swearer guard. No outfit is complete without one :)

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Cardies over dresses are my standard work wardrobe in the cold-weather months (October to May around here). Right now I'm wearing a clover-pink Shetland wool number, c. 1950, over a blue and maroon striped cotton dress -- in fact, the same outfit I'm wearing in my avatar. It keeps me warm when I'm downstairs, and I can take off the cardie and be cool and comfy in the booth when I go up to run the movie!

Last week I picked up a brown cashmere '40s cardigan with wide ribbing at the base and cuffs and tiny pearl buttons -- $4.95 at the Goodwill. Sweater season is truly here!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
GOK said:
What's a sweater guard?

A sweater guard is a two clip chain (decorated) that holds the sweater over the shoulders if it isnt buttoned.
Here is a nice one offered on Ruby Lane.

EAS-000816.1L.jpg

LD

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Sweater guard:
jd11-67.jpg

You clip the ends to the top of each side.

I pretty much wear my sweaters just as everyone has described.I also have a fascination with long pleated skirts worn with a fitted sweater and heels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24