Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Sweater Search

Mojito

One Too Many
I love my cardigans, and am another who uses them over dresses and skirts as a work uniform. An easy form of layering, as temperatures can vary even between my office and the boardroom (which seems to have a direct line to the South Pole for aircon).

I love the form-fitting sweater and smart pants or skirt on other girls, but have always felt a bit self-conscious with it myself. I developed early (my physical age was four years in advance of my chronological age according to my doctor), and by the time I was twelve had the curves and height of a well developed 16 year old. Unfortunately, anything form-fitting drew unwanted attention from people I'll charitably hope didn't know I was only an adolescent. I've gotten over the most of the impulses to cover up and now wear lower cut and even slinky fitted dresses and shirts, but somehow a snug fitting sweater still makes me feel a bit uneasy.

olive bleu

One Too Many
rubyredlocks said:
Sweater guard:
jd11-67.jpg

You clip the ends to the top of each side.

I pretty much wear my sweaters just as everyone has described.I also have a fascination with long pleated skirts worn with a fitted sweater and heels.

i have one of those but nearly as pretty as that one!:(

I've been anxiously awaiting sweater weather for weeks.....bought out an estate of a gal who literally had over 100 sweaters, 38-40! Basics, no beads or embroidery....one (in a box labeled "best black", which was not to be confused with the box labeled "2nd best black", same for greys & navys) has a military inspired button detailed front & a satin collar with a knot at the V neck, but the rest are plain. Several cashmere, Pringle, etc. There's nothing like wearing a nice cashmere over a pointy bra with a skinny skirt & heels! But just when it seemed time....we hit 78 degrees today. They'll have to wait! :mad: Ang

Snookie

Practically Family
allthecatsb.jpg

Here's some sweater/shirt/skirt combos from All The Cats Join In (1946). And the letterman's sweaters are so cute!

Does anyone wear dickies anymore, for the collar effect? I've got a couple patterns, but I've never made one.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have a sweater guard and it is not as pretty as either of the examples previously shown but it was originally from the 1950's, handed down from my Mom from when she was in highschool.

Brooksie

Liz

Sweater girls unite!

I love vintage sweaters, and buy them whenever I can. One of the great things about them is that they look nice with jeans or a skirt, and I seem to have pretty good luck finding cute cardigans. One of these days I'd like to get a sweater guard myself.

I love that All the Cats Join In picture -- I actually have a letter sweater myself. It's probably from the '50s, and has the name Peggy sewn onto one of the pockets!

Rosie

One Too Many
I have cardis that I wear over blouses and dresses pretty much the way you ladies do. I LOVE sweater guards. I only have a few now but I'm always on the look out for some that are *just so* I have sweaters, I prefer at the elbow or 3/4 sleeves and wear them with pencil skirts and trousers. I've not yet tried a dickie though they do sell them in Old Pueblo Traders and I believe Harriet Carter which is a catalog my mom gets. I think Vermont country Store also sells them.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a vintage sweater and a modern sweater? I know some modern ones have designs and such that they're obviously modern. But I'd like to know what to look for like in a thrift store that tells me a sweater is vintage. By the label, if they have one? When I hear "cardigan" I think of one that buttons up the front. Would they have had V-neck cardigans? I really like those. Any tips on what to look for whether it be a vintage or vintage-inspired sweater would be really helpful.

Snookie

Practically Family
Here's an article about vintage cashmere I found (written by our own fuzzylizzie!). It doesn't answer all your questions, BonnieJean, but it talks about the history of the sweater and has pictures of of sweaters from different decades.

http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/content/view/16/75/

Labels are a good way of determining the age of a sweater, as is fiber content, if it's listed. Also, when I think of 30's sweaters I think chunky knits and interesting stitch patterns, and maybe short (to match the high-waist of the period), 40's sweaters being more boxy, and 50's being either boxy (for a casual look) or soft and finely knitted with round shoulders. That's just my personal stereotype of each era, though -- if anyone can add to it, please do!

GOK

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
A sweater guard is a two clip chain (decorated) that holds the sweater over the shoulders if it isnt buttoned.
Here is a nice one offered on Ruby Lane.

I see - thank you for enlightening me. :D Both and that and the one that Ruby posted are very pretty.

Mojito said:
<snip>
I developed early (my physical age was four years in advance of my chronological age according to my doctor), and by the time I was twelve had the curves and height of a well developed 16 year old.

I was the opposite; was a late starter. I didn't really get a figure until I had my first son. (When I was 19, I got mistaken for a boy!) So I made sure I always wore things that emphasised what little curviness I had. Plus, I have been wearing vintage wear (both real and repro) for 31 years, so have always been 'into' the look!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks!

Thanks Snookie, for the link. Very interesting information and I learned a lot! This will give me an idea of what to look for in vintage sweaters.

Kim_B

Practically Family
BonnieJean, thanks for asking about the difference between true vintage sweaters and modern sweaters - I was curious about that myself!

And thanks to Snookie for posting that link!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I wear alot of modern sweaters,but in classic shapes.The majority of my vintage is cardies and a couple of cute skirt sets that are actually still stretchy enough to fit now.
My other obsession is pleated skirts that sit no shorter than the knee worn with a blouse and cardigan or fitted sweater.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I forgot to add that I pretty much wear them year round.You can find some light-weight sweaters in brighter and softer colors for the spring,as well as cardigans.
I can usually count on the ac's being at full blast come summertime here in texas,so it's nice to have a cardi to throw over your shoulders once you're out of the heat.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Labels are a good way of determining the age of a sweater, as is fiber content, if it's listed. Also, when I think of 30's sweaters I think chunky knits and interesting stitch patterns, and maybe short (to match the high-waist of the period), 40's sweaters being more boxy, and 50's being either boxy (for a casual look) or soft and finely knitted with round shoulders. That's just my personal stereotype of each era, though -- if anyone can add to it, please do!

I'll add by saying that I have some very tailored sweaters that date to the 1940s. You can also date (to some degree) by collar and sleeve style (dolman sleeves in the 1940s-50s, puffed sleeves in the 30s-40s, for example) and also by "theme" (nautical looks were popular during WWII as well as the 30s.) Also, I find that later 40s and 50s sweaters often have a zip at the back of the neck; earlier 40s and 30s sweaters will sometimes button at the back of the neck.

lindylady

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I'll add by saying that I have some very tailored sweaters that date to the 1940s. You can also date (to some degree) by collar and sleeve style (dolman sleeves in the 1940s-50s, puffed sleeves in the 30s-40s, for example) and also by "theme" (nautical looks were popular during WWII as well as the 30s.) Also, I find that later 40s and 50s sweaters often have a zip at the back of the neck; earlier 40s and 30s sweaters will sometimes button at the back of the neck.

Speaking of nautical looks, any ideas of where I could find such a sweater? It doesn't have to vintage. It could be repro.

miss1934

Familiar Face
I am OBSESSED with sweater suits. Thirties, forties, fifties, doesent matter, I love them all and cannot wait for it to get cold enough outside to wear them around campus! Nothing shows off curves better than a nice knit set!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Lindylady-I know I see the nautical looks make a comeback every season.Quite a few out last year that I wish I had picked up.I think Liz Claiborne did a few boatneck stripey sweaters,possibly some from Jones New York,and Ralph Lauren always does a nautical look or 2 for his resort collection.
If nothing comes out this year I'm going to pick a classic sweater and have my friend embroider a few strategically placed anchors on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24